Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: Wii U

said by 88615298:

said by JBear:

b) Who really is going to buy an end of the line PS3 which is still at the same price of it's launch? And the 720 and PS4 will probably launch on Xmas 2013 so Nintendo will have a year just to themselves (which happened last generation). Some people will just need to 'upgrade' their current Wii.

end of the line? PS3 will have a 10 year life cycle so that will end in 2016. The last PS2 game just got released this year. That came out 11 years ago.

One of the main reasons the Wii sold do well was because it was cheaper than the rest. The WiiU does not have that advantage.

And I'd buy a PS3 over a WiiU. The $300 version has what 8 GB of storage? So how much is extra storage going to cost. The PS3 has 500 GB. Have fun taking turns on the Wii since it comes with one controller and they are not selling extras er in the US. In Japan yes and they cost over $150.

The new PS3 model that's going to be released is only going to have 12gb. With just game saves on my 360, I don't even come close to using half the 20gb capacity my console came with. I actually need to clean up the hard drive because I downloaded a lot of demos a few years ago I never bothered to actually play and played around with that feature where you can install games to the hard drive. Since you have to have the disc in the drive anyway, and the only reason I'd do that is for the convenience of not having to have the disc in my vicinity, the novelty of doing that wore off fairly quickly.

There are those of us out there who aren't into the whole downloading games thing. We prefer to buy our games at the store, on some kind of disc. All we need is space for game saves, and I suspect 8gb is going to be more than enough to handle that.

As for the controller thing, it's ultimately too difficult to speculate right now on exactly how that will play out, because that's going to depend on the controller requirements of the games the system launches with. And as others have stated, existing Wiimotes will work. I never got the impression with this system that the idea was to have everyone using the touchscreen controllers for playing. Maybe I'm wrong. The non-touchscreen controller that's not going to be available right away is very similar to the Xbox 360. I admit, I wish they were including one of those. Controller prices for all the consoles are steep these days.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by danawhitaker:

The new PS3 model that's going to be released is only going to have 12gb. With just game saves on my 360, I don't even come close to using half the 20gb capacity my console came with. I actually need to clean up the hard drive because I downloaded a lot of demos a few years ago I never bothered to actually play and played around with that feature where you can install games to the hard drive. Since you have to have the disc in the drive anyway, and the only reason I'd do that is for the convenience of not having to have the disc in my vicinity, the novelty of doing that wore off fairly quickly.

The benefit of installing on the 360 is that games actually do load faster and the system is actually quieter as it not trying to pull all of the data straight from the disc.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

Here in the U.S., the super slim PS3 started at 250GB and 500GB models. Overseas in the EU and other regions, the 'starter' super slim PS3 is a 12GB model. And word has it from the patent that this edition would need an additional adapter to install more space.

This is a huge problem with the PS3 in particular, since many games on disc practically require some amount of internal storage for game data or mandatory installs. And even those that offer it optionally would need it anyway just to have load time parity if the game were also available on the Xbox 360. Case in point: Street Fighter IV on both systems...

On PS3:
•Average load time purely off the BluRay: 20 seconds per match.
•With Optional Install: 8 seconds

Part of you is thinking "awesome", right? Well...

On Xbox 360:
•Load time purely off the DVD: 8 seconds
•With the post-NXE install option: 3 seconds

When you play online without that optional install, people will hate you for it.

worn_out
@comcast.net

worn_out

Anon

In addition to the above mentioned points, installing games reduces wear and tear on the dvd drive. We're on our 5th, probably soon to be 6th, 360. The dvd drive failed in all four prior 360s that we had. Of course, then again, the disc tray also decides to just quit opening right about the time the drive starts to go south

As much as I want the WiiU to succeed, I feel that the WiiU will be the GameCube all over again. Not to say that the 'Cube was bad, it was just too little, too late. Most Wii users that wanted something beefier most likely purchased a 360/PS3, instead of waiting for a more powerful Wii. Even now, and at the WiiU launch, the 360/PS3 will still be a better choice, as those are established, mature platforms.

I speculate that if the WiiU fails, Nintendo will have to rely on the already established Wii and handheld markets. But now the handheld market has more competition than it did during the N64/GameCube eras, and the Wii will eventually wind down. If tablets and smartphones somehow rub out dedicated handhelds, and the WiiU does fail, Nintendo could possibly be the next Sega.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
I don't do online play, so the speed increase for loading times isn't a huge deal for me. I can see how it might be for people who do.

Out of curiosity with the PS3, do you have some examples of how much internal storage might be required for game data or mandatory installs outside of just standard saves?

In regard to worn_out, how much usage is your console getting? That really seems like an awful lot of failures. I know some pretty avid 360 gamers who had other failure issues pop up well before that one.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

I can't speak for all games... but I know most are around the 2-4GB per game variety. Borderlands (with all the expansions) is around 6GB of an install, while still requiring the disk.

Gran Turismo I don't have, but I understand it's rather infamous with the amount of surreptitious installs of data onto the hard drive. Frankly, one of the biggest arguments for an SSD was to shorten those install and load times for THIS GAME!

I just know on average, when I am able to try a game that is on both systems, the mandatory/optional installs for the PS3 only seem to bring it to have the same loading times as it would be on 360 if I just played from its disc. To my understanding, only 6 games in the entire 360 catalog are defaulted to not support the NXE install feature, because they were the few that actually turned out to perform worse this way. IIRC, none of those were multiplatform games, though.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to worn_out

Premium Member

to worn_out
Well, actually the demand for the Wii U has been through the roof! Pre-orders are completely sold out already at Game Stop, Walmart, K Mart, Toys-R-Us, and on Amazon and Game Stop they are completely on backorder, and with the huge demand, they don't even know when they are going to be getting the next batch in! Even Nintendo World themselves here in NYC have completely sold out of pre-orders also! Check out how much people are actually paying for the pre-orders on Craigslist and on eBay!

worn_out
@comcast.net

worn_out

Anon

said by danawhitaker :
In regard to worn_out, how much usage is your console getting?
Our 360 does get played for 3-4 hours a day, almost daily. So I do suppose our level of use may contribute to early drive failures. A 360 usually lasts for about two years before the drive starts throwing disc read error fits. The disc read errors increase in frequency until the drive is unusable, and in addition to that, the disc tray starts failing to open up.

Our first 360 (A Xenon) actually suffered from the RROD as the disc drive was failing. Our third 360 didn't even last a year. I've come to the conclusion that when our current 360 breaks, we're going to just buy a new 360 with a 320GB hdd, and install/run our games off the hdd. Considering that our current 360 just passed the two year mark, that moment is rapidly approaching.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Well, actually the demand for the Wii U has been through the roof! Pre-orders are completely sold out already at Game Stop, Walmart, K Mart, Toys-R-Us, and on Amazon and Game Stop they are completely on backorder, and with the huge demand, they don't even know when they are going to be getting the next batch in! Even Nintendo World themselves here in NYC have completely sold out of pre-orders also! Check out how much people are actually paying for the pre-orders on Craigslist and on eBay!

Limiting your production to virtually guarantee a sell-out is a well known marketing tactic to increase hype. If Nintendo wanted to have enough availabe to keep shelves stocked, there'd be enough available. They're trying to make the WiiU the hot Christmas item, and will probably succeed.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
quote:
Out of curiosity with the PS3, do you have some examples of how much internal storage might be required for game data or mandatory installs outside of just standard saves?

It depends on the game. Could be from a few MBs to a few GBs. Also if you purchase down loadable content.

A nice thing about the PS3 is the hard drive is easy to upgrade. I did it once with my PS3.

Though my PS3 is mainly used to watch netflix/DVDs/Blue rays on.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Limiting your production to virtually guarantee a sell-out is a well known marketing tactic to increase hype. If Nintendo wanted to have enough availabe to keep shelves stocked, there'd be enough available. They're trying to make the WiiU the hot Christmas item, and will probably succeed.

It will increase hype, but that will only increase sales if they meet enough of the demand to satisfy consumers. They have a reputation of not being able to meet that demand. The Nintendo DS is particularly memorable on that front. Strong hype and ultimately it sold very well. But it wasn't because they limited the supply, it was because people simply wanted it. I remember many people being unable to get it in time for Christmas. But the market was more forgiving at that time. If Nintendo pulls that again they could damage their immediate sales. People don't like to wait around as much as they were once willing to do. People have grown to expect companies to meet the demand, similar to what Amazon did for the Kindle Fire. Apple has been doing a pretty good job lately too. It could be another interesting holiday season.