uniqs
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

GoogleVoice closes Canadian (AC 403) loophole

The loophole was that Google Voice, accidentally or on purpose, allowed phone numbers with a ’403 area code to be entered as one of your phone numbers on their site. Now, they absolutely require that you enter a phone number that has a US area code.

MORE:
»googlevoiceforcanadians. ··· -closed/

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

THat is good to know even from just a stand point that they are still working on the product.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I can verify that if you have already set up a 403 area code, it still works.
Mango

Mango to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
*sigh*. Double post.

matt221
@telus.net

matt221 to Mango

Anon

to Mango
I received an email from GV yesterday saying that I must re-verify my phone numbner (403) or else the forwarding will stop working Nov 21st. Went on GV to re-verify, and as I feared, the system will not let you verify a 403 number!

It's OVER! (or just maybe Google is cleaning up the system before the big launch of the Canadian GV version!!)
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh

I got the same email about 3 of my forwarding numbers that I havent used in over a year. They are all US based numbers.

I think they are just cleaning house.
doug1235
join:2012-10-18
Toronto, ON

doug1235 to matt221

to matt221
said by matt221 :

....as I feared, the system will not let you verify a 403 number!.....

Same thing here, can't re-verify the 403 number

zoofreak
join:2005-01-05
Irving, TX

zoofreak to gweidenh

to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

I got the same email about 3 of my forwarding numbers that I havent used in over a year. They are all US based numbers.

I think they are just cleaning house.

I got the email on a Gvoice account associated with a defunct US Whistle Phone number that I haven't used in a while. Yeah, probably just cleaning house or trying to free up some numbers from squatters for re-use. FWIW, they announced free calling within the US for 2012 last year on Dec 13... any bets on whether they extend through 2013?

WYCF
join:2005-11-18
Richmond, BC

WYCF to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
I hope this will not affect my old GrantCentral account. (knock on the wood)
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to zoofreak

Premium Member

to zoofreak
said by zoofreak:

FWIW, they announced free calling within the US for 2012 last year on Dec 13... any bets on whether they extend through 2013?

My bet would be yes.

Now that Skype is owned by Microsoft, it's more important than ever for GoogleVoice to be in their face.

Also, although Google has lots of payment systems available (such as Google Wallet) they just don't have the customer service that's needed if they want to deal with actual live paying customers.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by zoofreak:

FWIW, they announced free calling within the US for 2012 last year on Dec 13... any bets on whether they extend through 2013?

My bet would be yes.

Now that Skype is owned by Microsoft, it's more important than ever for GoogleVoice to be in their face.

I agree.

It's also very likely that Google Voice will expand the service to the European Union some time after July 1, 2016.
ratatosk
join:2010-03-26
New Westminster, BC

ratatosk to matt221

to matt221
It wouldn't surprise me to see a Canadian GV launch. It was also possible to order a 403 number in rural Alberta as a google voice number (not as forwarding number, but as the actual GV DID itself) for a few weeks. These 403 numbers were all through Distributel.

I did manage to grab one of these while available. It might not last. Who knows? But for now I have a GV number in High River, AB forwarded to a US mobile number.