spc
uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to ekster

to ekster

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

I'm more concerned about winter price of home heating (furnace) oil...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by vue666:

I'm more concerned about winter price of home heating (furnace) oil...

That's one of the things that's always bothered me.
We regulate the price of Natural Gas and Electricity, both essential as a home heating energy source. Yet Fuel Oil.. whatever the market will bear.
When I bought my house it had an oil burner,and the games these guys play is astounding.

You order on Wed and the price is say 50c/ltr,they deliver on Friday and the price went to say 54c/ltr. WTF, if I order something in a store and the prices goes up in the meantime, you don't pay the higher price. When I tried to tell them this,they didn't care.

What's even more fun is trying to get the oil pumped out back when you explicitly told them NOT to do automatic deliveries(I had plans to switch to NG the next summer). And of course the credit you get for pumping the oil out, doesn't match the price you paid putting it in.

sargeant
@wind.ca

sargeant to vue666

Anon

to vue666
I have seen a gas station at $1.139 in Toronto thid morning but the line up was about 45 cars long, now Im a believer.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Fuel Oil.. whatever the market will bear.

When I bought my house it had an oil burner,and the games these guys play is astounding.

You order on Wed and the price is say 50c/ltr,they deliver on Friday and the price went to say 54c/ltr.

Agree.

But I'd love to pay so little.

In central New Jersey, home heating oil is about $ 4.20 per gallon (US funds and US gallon). That's equivalent to US $ 1.09 per liter (not taking into account currency difference),

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

But you guys pay less for everything else, from food, to clothes, to tech. I'd love to switch all that just for heating oil!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by elwoodblues:

Fuel Oil.. whatever the market will bear.

You order on Wed and the price is say 50c/ltr,they deliver on Friday and the price went to say 54c/ltr.

Agree.

But I'd love to pay so little.

In central New Jersey, home heating oil is about $ 4.20 per gallon (US funds and US gallon). That's equivalent to US $ 1.09 per liter (not taking into account currency difference),

Look at you a wannabe Canadian learning the metric system.

I was just using a number,but IIRC I think I was paying 24c/ltr,but that was 13yrs ago.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

But you guys pay less for everything else, from food, to clothes, to tech. I'd love to switch all that just for heating oil!

There are quite a few things that are more expensive over in the US than in Canada. "Tech" for example. Americans end up coming over here to buy TVs as there are much better deals to be found. Same with computers.

Some stuff in the US is cheaper, but unless you're shopping for specific items it ends up being a wash.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I was going to say TECH can be cheaper up here. It was cheaper to my Kingston FB Dimms from Amazon, drive to the border and pay CBI then buy it up here.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I never really looked at TVs, but electronics seem to be a lot cheaper on US websites whenever I look, even when adding shipping.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I was going to say TECH can be cheaper up here. It was cheaper to my Kingston FB Dimms from Amazon, drive to the border and pay CBI then buy it up here.

Depends on the item. Some can be cheaper there, but not always, and often times it is nowhere even close to being a "lot" cheaper. A lot of times it's a wash, but TVs in particular are often cheaper in Canada, and when they're on sale the deals are greater.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Metric system was legalised in the US in 1866, one year before the formation of the Canadian confederation.
said by elwoodblues:

I was just using a number,but IIRC I think I was paying 24c/ltr,but that was 13yrs ago.

Yeah, Statscan quotes home heating oil in Toronto at $ 1.23 per liter last month, so cost is comparable to US.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
That was worth my drive, but using TV's when I bought my Sharp TV about 4yrs ago, I found a place in NY city, it was cheaper (again) to drive down, pay the Duty (I called Canada Customs to inquire as to the rate) , then to buy it up here.

I ended up getting a really sweet deal from Vision Electronics out West they were cheaper then anyone in the GTA.
elwoodblues

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by elwoodblues:

Metric system was legalised in the US in 1866, one year before the formation of the Canadian confederation.

Really? Interesting fact! Yet here we are 146yrs later and America still uses the Standard system.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

It's their way of saying how much they miss being part of England, so they stick to imperial units as a momento.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

I never really looked at TVs, but electronics seem to be a lot cheaper on US websites whenever I look, even when adding shipping.

In early October I was in Bangor, Maine and TVs were a lot cheaper...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

In early October I was in Bangor, Maine and TVs were a lot cheaper...

If you actually browse Best Buy in the US and Canada you'll see that it is nearly price parity, if not more expensive, for the same television in the US. They have the occasional sale, but the Canadians do too. They are by no means a "lot" cheaper than on the Canadian side unless you're buying on Black Friday.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Did I mention Best Buy? Although I did purchase a 2TB Seagate Freeagent USB 3.0 external drive at Best Buy LOL...

I know Sams Club in Bangor had tvs at prices I can not get at Costco in HRM...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to sargeant

to sargeant
said by sargeant :

I have seen a gas station at $1.139 in Toronto thid morning but the line up was about 45 cars long, now Im a believer.

Gas Buddy reports $112.3/l at Olco on Kipling and Jutland in Etobicoke.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by elwoodblues:

Really? Interesting fact! Yet here we are 146yrs later and America still uses the Standard system.

True, Canada is more metric than the US.

I mean, having [10] provinces, can't get more metric than that.

But the standard system does have its advantages. A pint of beer is just about right.

And the standard system is not without its rationality. In US measure, a pint of water weighs exactly a pound.

We do use metric. Soda (pop) tends to be sold in 1 liter or 2 liter bottles. And of course all medication dosage is metric.

Canada uses some standard too, yes? The Canadian Football League still does everything in yards.

--------------------------

The French originated the metric system as part of the French Revolution.

Where they went overboard was the Metric Calendar.

Instead of weeks, each month was divided into three periods of 10 days each. And the people got one day off every 10, instead of one day off every 7. Needless to say, this was not popular.
»www.webexhibits.org/cale ··· nch.html

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

When I was looking for a laptop for the kid, just an inexpensive one, $269 in Canada (best buy) with 3 GB of RAM, exact same unit in the USA, $279 with 2GB of RAM (only difference).

booze and milk is still a lot cheaper state side though.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Canada uses some standard too, yes? The Canadian Football League still does everything in yards.

2nd down and centimetres to go.
That would work so well....
And instead of 10yds for a 1st down you'd have 9m 144cm LOL

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Yes imperial units of measure are still used every day in construction.
Buy materials in metric, but plans are in ft.
Bizarre.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

said by EUS:

Yes imperial units of measure are still used every day in construction.
Buy materials in metric, but plans are in ft.
Bizarre.

It's our usual. Just as everything in grocery stores is in metric, but the recipes are in imperial.

And anything related with movement horizontally, it's all km/h, so many km further and in metres, but start digging down and it'll be inches and feet.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to PX Eliezer704

Mod

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

But the standard system does have its advantages. A pint of beer is just about right.

Most pubs around here serve a "pint" of draught in a 20oz sleeve (glass), not a 16, and half pint is usually 12oz, so the term 'pint' isn't an exact term with regards to Imperial measurement.

Yes, the CFL still uses a 110 yard field, but the conversion to metric would make for awkward game calls unless the size of the actual field was changed as a metre is 39 inches. The same can be said for hockey (still 200' x 85' for a NA sheet), and I'd guess that for both sports it's a matter of not changing an existing practice as there's no reason to.