uniqs
share rss forum feed

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

wow

this a complete copy of google wallet or did I miss something?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
Google wallet is pure software. Its basically like paypal. As far as the banking aspect I think this is the same. Probably counting on the same lack of laws that is currently 'protecting' paypal from their blunders.

However, the authorization system is different. For paypal/google wallet your authorization comes from you supplying your password at some point. This system uses RFID so you don't need to enter any password. Its just like a speedpay system at a gas station or some of those toll booths that you just drive through. The presence of your phone is enough. Its a bit more convenient.

For me they will need to tie it to a credit card. Paypal, Google Wallet, etc. have nothing like the protectiions of a credit card. If someone hacks your CC, you don't loose anything. If someone hacks your paypal you are ass-out.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
Actually someone did hack my Paypal 2 years ago, and they reversed the charge as it was obvious fraud. Maybe because it was a purchase and not money transfer?

Ironically, I'd tried the Paypal debit card 10 years ago, and it was stolen with $50 on it that they never made whole.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to dnoyeB
I know it works via RFID, I was not aware you had to enter a password.

actually, if you tie your google wallet to a credit card it is protected. all purchases go through the credit card and carry the protections that are on the card.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to dnoyeB
said by dnoyeB:

Google wallet is pure software.

Not always. Google Wallet on phones and tablets (e.g. Nexus 7) with NFC also have a hardware aspect.

For me they will need to tie it to a credit card. Paypal, Google Wallet, etc. have nothing like the protectiions of a credit card. If someone hacks your CC, you don't loose anything. If someone hacks your paypal you are ass-out.

Tie your paypal or google wallet to a credit card. Then it's protected. It's not rocket science.

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to dnoyeB
Not even remotely true. Google Wallet uses a hardware chip in your phone called the "secure element" - that's why it only works on unlocked/unbranded Galaxy Nexus + some Sprint phones.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Since Google Wallet works on the desktop, without hardware implements, my statement is at least 'remotely' true.

meowmeow

Helena, MT
My mistake, it appears we're talking about two different products both called "Google Wallet" - the one you're referring to used to be called Google Checkout and I forgot it had been merged into the Wallet branding.

The Google Wallet I and others are referring to is a phone app VERY similar to ISIS. The biggest technical difference is that ISIS uses a secure token on the SIM card, and Google Wallet uses one built into the phone. Both require a phone with NFC and support for either an ISIS SIM card or a built in "secure element."

Sorry if I came across rude, it wasn't my intention - I just couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I forgot about checkout being rebranded as wallet.

I just used Google Wallet today, at Home Depot and then to grab lunch at McDonald's.

Kyle

@comcast.net
reply to ArrayList
No you are not missing anything. Typical teclo reacting instead of innovating.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to meowmeow
so my verizon galaxy nexus can't use google wallet?

meowmeow

Helena, MT
Officially, no. The hardware is there, Verizon blocks the app. I've heard some people have had success installing it from the web at »play.google.com - if that doesn't work, you'll have to search Google. But it CAN be made to work - I saw a guy paying with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus at McDonald's a couple days ago (I know it was Verizon because he sells phone at Costco and I've talked to him a couple times so he said hi in line, nice guy). I shouldn't have said "only works" but rather "only officially works" - most people are suspicious enough, they're not going to hack their phones to get something working on it.

Sam N

@rr.com
reply to dnoyeB
But Google Wallet uses your credit card. It is simply a gateway that serves as a middle man, so all the credit card security is still there. Google charges a virtual Google Mastercard for your transaction, then charges the credit card you have on file afterwards. So it is just another credit card transaction that shows up on your credit card bill. Unless your bank has specifically stated that they do not insure this type of transaction it is covered like everything else. There is no reason for them to differentiate this credit card transaction from any other credit card transaction unless they have put a system in place specifically to do so and clarified it with the customer. Otherwise, they wouldn't even know it was done with Google Wallet (aside from the name Google Wallet in the transaction, which they would actually have to look at your bill to see).

There is no personal banking info stored on your device. The only info is that of the Google virtual Mastercard, so it is not susceptible to attacks, at least not those that aim to obtain your personal information. And the idea of not having to enter a PIN is great, until you lose your phone... although again it would be covered like anything else. The only glitch is that you may have to report the card as stolen with the bank rather than the phone. This wouldn't really be necessary if you catch it quickly, however, as Google Wallet can be disabled remotely.

Final point, Verizon has taken measures to have Google Wallet blocked from the market in an effort to be anti-competitive by forcing the user to use their product. For this reason, I will never use ISIS, as I am not open to the idea of being a puppet that is manipulated by a greedy corporation.