ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to PX Eliezer70

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

But you guys pay less for everything else, from food, to clothes, to tech. I'd love to switch all that just for heating oil!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by ekster:

But you guys pay less for everything else, from food, to clothes, to tech. I'd love to switch all that just for heating oil!

There are quite a few things that are more expensive over in the US than in Canada. "Tech" for example. Americans end up coming over here to buy TVs as there are much better deals to be found. Same with computers.

Some stuff in the US is cheaper, but unless you're shopping for specific items it ends up being a wash.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
I was going to say TECH can be cheaper up here. It was cheaper to my Kingston FB Dimms from Amazon, drive to the border and pay CBI then buy it up here.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to Gone
I never really looked at TVs, but electronics seem to be a lot cheaper on US websites whenever I look, even when adding shipping.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I was going to say TECH can be cheaper up here. It was cheaper to my Kingston FB Dimms from Amazon, drive to the border and pay CBI then buy it up here.

Depends on the item. Some can be cheaper there, but not always, and often times it is nowhere even close to being a "lot" cheaper. A lot of times it's a wash, but TVs in particular are often cheaper in Canada, and when they're on sale the deals are greater.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
That was worth my drive, but using TV's when I bought my Sharp TV about 4yrs ago, I found a place in NY city, it was cheaper (again) to drive down, pay the Duty (I called Canada Customs to inquire as to the rate) , then to buy it up here.

I ended up getting a really sweet deal from Vision Electronics out West they were cheaper then anyone in the GTA.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

I never really looked at TVs, but electronics seem to be a lot cheaper on US websites whenever I look, even when adding shipping.

In early October I was in Bangor, Maine and TVs were a lot cheaper...

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by vue666:

In early October I was in Bangor, Maine and TVs were a lot cheaper...

If you actually browse Best Buy in the US and Canada you'll see that it is nearly price parity, if not more expensive, for the same television in the US. They have the occasional sale, but the Canadians do too. They are by no means a "lot" cheaper than on the Canadian side unless you're buying on Black Friday.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
Did I mention Best Buy? Although I did purchase a 2TB Seagate Freeagent USB 3.0 external drive at Best Buy LOL...

I know Sams Club in Bangor had tvs at prices I can not get at Costco in HRM...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

When I was looking for a laptop for the kid, just an inexpensive one, $269 in Canada (best buy) with 3 GB of RAM, exact same unit in the USA, $279 with 2GB of RAM (only difference).

booze and milk is still a lot cheaper state side though.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein