uniqs

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Boot Priority after BIOS Update is messed up

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I updated my Bios on my Asrock 990fx Extreme 3 to 1.50. I had to do this in order to get Pro Tools to work on my pc (apparently they hate AMD as well). It now won't save my boot priority. Everytime I go into my Bios to save my ssd as the main boot drive it reverts it back to my other HD. So my usual start up now is let it boot, blue screen, go back to bios and change it back to my SSD. Sometimes when I boot it up I get no video display either and I have to hard reset my computer!! Frustrating. Any advice? Google isn't helping much.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

does it remember it through a warm reboot?
ie does it only lose it on cold boots?

might be the battery.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Warm...Such as restarting the computer? I normally just turn it off after I use it. When I come back in the morning to use it or a few hours later it forgets it.

Also this only started after I updated my bios.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
When you downloaded your BIOS update did it include any instructions such as resetting your then current version back to factory defaults? Also, did the update process include any means of backing up the current version and the ability to restore the old version if needed?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Yes warm as in reboot not shutdown power on.

cold as in shutdown, come back power on

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen
@aguen
All the Asrock page told me to do was copy this to usb run bios and boot from it. It didnt' say anything about setting back to defaults.

@DarkLogix
I'll see if I can try that tonight.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Which one of the 3 methods provided on that page did you use?

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Have you searched or posted in what goes for the Asrock forums ?

»forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/

I have a Z68 Extreme 4 gen3 myself and they can have some odd twists to them.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to I AM

MVM

to I AM
said by I AM:

Any advice? Google isn't helping much.

Advice: talk to Asrock Technical Support. This could be a BIOS bug, in which case you need to make it their problem. Asrock is the only company who knows about their products in and out, and they're the only ones who can fix or address this kind of anomaly. Talk to them.

P.S. -- It is certainly NOT the CMOS battery -- you would be losing ALL settings (and probably be getting a warning pre-boot about all settings being lost) if that were the case.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen
said by aguen:

Which one of the 3 methods provided on that page did you use?

I used the method of putting it on a usb stick.

@ Others
I will ask on Asrock's forum and contact them. I usually try to figure it out but this might be above me.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
said by koitsu:

P.S. -- It is certainly NOT the CMOS battery -- you would be losing ALL settings (and probably be getting a warning pre-boot about all settings being lost) if that were the case.

Not always but yes if the bios is made properly.

I say that because I've worked with computers where the CMOS battery was the issue, and they wouldn't complain about lost settings but if you dig in and had non-default settings you'd find them at default.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

So I did what you suggested DarkLogix and the Bios doesn't even remember the boot priority on a warm reboot. It seems every time I restart it just forgets to boot order. I keep shoving my SSD to second in the priority.

Thinking about rolling back a bios patch. Like back to 1.40 instead of up to 1.50?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

How'bout plugging the SSD into the other SATA port that's first in the default priority list?

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

That's what Asrock suggested to me as well. They said they didn't have this issue when testing systems. So I tried it this morning. Switched the cables of the SSD and HD. And.....no fix.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Well, I guess it's probably a buggy BIOS.

In the last couple of weeks I've found 3 boot bugs in our BIOS, for one. They supposedly fixed one -- I retested and it wasn't fixed.

In any case you may try to play games with your BIOS.
For example, add a normal drive as the 1st boot drive, set your SSD as 2nd, save it, and if it sticks, remove the HD.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to I AM

to I AM
Let me start off by saying that if it was working before then there was no need to do an upgrade to your BIOS what so ever. This tells me that when you flashed your BIOS during the upgrade something went very wrong during the upgrade and there is most likely nothing you can do to fix it because you mostly for sure trashed your BIOS when you flashed it. When you do these sorts of things the manufacture will warn you that you are doing this at your own risk and that they assume to responsibility if something goes go wrong when flashing your BIOS to a newer upgraded version. You almost always void your warranty by doing this sort of thing if you have one.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by floydb1982:

Let me start off by saying that if it was working before then there was no need to do an upgrade to your BIOS what so ever. This tells me that when you flashed your BIOS during the upgrade something went very wrong during the upgrade and there is most likely nothing you can do to fix it because you mostly for sure trashed your BIOS when you flashed it. When you do these sorts of things the manufacture will warn you that you are doing this at your own risk and that they assume to responsibility if something goes go wrong when flashing your BIOS to a newer upgraded version. You almost always void your warranty by doing this sort of thing if you have one.

If the bios was trashed it wouldnt boot period. Flashing the bios with an approved manufacturer bios release does not void a warranty.

Bad info is, well, bad, especially from the guy that doesnt understand how usb works (3.0 plug expecting it to run 3.0 even tho the drive is usb 2.0)
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

said by tdumaine:

said by floydb1982:

If the bios was trashed it wouldnt boot period. Flashing the bios with an approved manufacturer bios release does not void a warranty.

Bad info is, well, bad, especially from the guy that doesnt understand how usb works (3.0 plug expecting it to run 3.0 even tho the drive is usb 2.0)

+1. I can't recall ever seeing a BIOS update voiding a warranty. If it did, it would be highly unlikely that it would be offered in the first place. I've flashed new BIOSes on OEM machines (ex. Dell, HP, Toshiba) with the update being listed as "urgent", "critical", and "highly recommended". If voiding warranties and whatnot was the case, I'd expect those companies to be the first ones to do it.

OP: Try using the "set back to defaults" option (or similar), save/exit, shutdown, and pop out the CMOS battery for a few hours.