spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikey32230

@wideopenwest.com

If I bought a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD from ebay.?

if i bought a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD from ebay that looks just like the one i rent from wow. Would it work if i hooked it up to one of my TVs?

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
oops check that, quite as bit more than $30. All the more reason to talk to WOW.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to mikey32230
Although $20-$30 for the box won't break the bank why don't you just get WOW to comp the box you have?

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to mikey32230
I think they won't let you add your own cable box up. This question was brought up before and wow_dan said no that wow won't let you use your own box.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by Body Count:

I think they won't let you add your own cable box up. This question was brought up before and wow_dan said no that wow won't let you use your own box.

No cabelco in the USA will allow someone to use their own stb. Clear QAM and cable card devices only. Those boxes are either stolen or are intended for the Canadian market.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
reply to mikey32230
said by mikey32230 :

if i bought a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD from ebay that looks just like the one i rent from wow. Would it work if i hooked it up to one of my TVs?

You can not bring your own cable boxes. Boxes must be rented, or you can purchase a device that has a cable card slot, such as a TiVo or a Ceton Tuner card, etc.

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
I always kind of wondered about this... I know most if not all Cable Co's in the USA don't allow customers to bring their own boxes. Correct me if I'm wrong.. most, if not all, boxes have a cable card in the back of them which after removing the guard on the back in the case of Moto boxes, is removable. Could a customer theoretically get a self install cable card from the cable co, call up the activation line and activate it with the box? When I had Comcast, I removed the cable card from my DCH 3416 and inserted it in my HDHomerun prime and was authorized for all channels that I subscribed for without having to pair the card with the new device. Would you at least get the channels you subscribe to? Probably just not OnDemand contact, anything that required 2-way? Or since the supports 2-way, would that work? Something I've wondered ever since removing the CC from my set top and finding out it worked in my other devices..

Big Jimmy

@comcast.net
I've theorized about adding a cablecard to a box like that (the 8300HDC uses one that's easily accessible, for example), but I've got a feeling it wouldn't work at the end of the day.

It's odd that you got the channels on that card though, because cards typically only work if they're authorized, which will only work per device; if you yank a card out of one HDHomerun or Ceton, for example, you can't slap it in another without reauthorizing.. or so I thought.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by Big Jimmy :

I've theorized about adding a cablecard to a box like that (the 8300HDC uses one that's easily accessible, for example), but I've got a feeling it wouldn't work at the end of the day.

It's odd that you got the channels on that card though, because cards typically only work if they're authorized, which will only work per device; if you yank a card out of one HDHomerun or Ceton, for example, you can't slap it in another without reauthorizing.. or so I thought.

If it works it's only going to be temporary -- as WOW and other American providers send signals down the pipe to check on the 2 way connectivity of these SA and Moto boxes and when the box doesn't respond with the EXACT data it was provisioned with -- the box will become un authorized.

The Joker

join:2003-08-01
reply to mikey32230
Just use your pc with a cable card.