Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

[Express] increasing reception on the Cisco DPC3825

Hey guys,

My older sister and my brother in-law lives in a newly built subdivision since March of this year and they have internet service with Rogers.

The problem is that they often don't get some reception throughout the house. From what I had witnessed, the equipment that they use is the Cisco DPC3825 home networking gateway, which is long complained by some of the users on this board.

That unit is located downstairs in the basement and to my understanding, the house that they live in is equipped with RG-6 and CAT 6 cabling (RJ-45).

I wanted to know how they can be able to increase the reception throughout the house?

I also have an 6 year-old WRT54G (v6) that was flashed with DD-WRT. I'm currently experimenting with my similar setup at my house (I have a separate cable modem which is the Motorola Surfboard modem, linked up to a Linksys E2500 dual-band wireless-N router).

I would consider setting up my pals' Cisco DPC3825 gateway into "bridge mode" and then hook up the Linksys WRT54G wireless router with the Cisco DPC3825.

Is that possible? Any other suggestions?

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

The Cisco DPC3825, as a router, is garbage. You can set it in bridge mode or have Rogers do it for you and then use your own router. Not sure how your Linksys WRT54G will work, but it is worth a try. From what I have read on here, the Netgear WNDR4500 router is highly recommended.

Expand your moderator at work

simon726

Ajax, ON
reply to Hooter

Re: [Express] increasing reception on the Cisco DPC3825

said by Hooter:

The Cisco DPC3825, as a router, is garbage. You can set it in bridge mode or have Rogers do it for you and then use your own router. Not sure how your Linksys WRT54G will work, but it is worth a try. From what I have read on here, the Netgear WNDR4500 router is highly recommended.

How can I access the settings for the Cisco DPC3825 gateway and then convert it into an "improvised" bridge mode?

Which cable and which port should I use to connect the DPC3825 into my own router?

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

username: cusadmin
password: password

puzz1ed

join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON
reply to simon726

If you've got ethernet through the house you could set up the WRT54G as a second access point.

I've got a DPC3825 in the basement in a closet and another router configured as an access point upstairs. You could give them the same SSID/password or name them separately. I name mine separately so I know where I'm connected when I roam the house. Best to keep them on different channels or configured as auto.

I used to have a single WRT54G in my basement that covered the house but the DPC3825 isn't adequate for that job. I considered putting it in bridge mode with another single router but then I would lose use of the GigE switch. Setting up the second access point was the best of both worlds.

simon726

Ajax, ON

Good suggestion, but where would I ideally place the WRT54G router in?

By the way, that router is loaded with DD-WRT firmware and the mode that is currently set up in is in "repeater mode".

I'll have to look into the configuration of the WRT54G router later on.

The only concern I have is that whenever I use bittorrent on the WRT54G router that has DD-WRT firmware - and during certain intervals, I cannot surf to a website at the same time.

This is evident with the lights flashing on my WRT54G router. In order to start "fresh", I have to re-boot the WRT54G router and then I'm back to the races.

Where do I normally configure the settings for bittorrent? Either on the DD-WRT admin page or the bittorrent program I use (which in this case - uTorrent).

puzz1ed

Markham, ON
reply to simon726

I've used DD-WRT but not in my current configuration. It's a bit tricky to set up but my access point is just a normal router (Netgear WNR2000) with a LAN port connected to a LAN port on the DPC3825 in the basement. You have to disable DHCP on the access point and I set its IP address to be in the range of the DPC3825 (eg. 192.168.0.2) so that I can access the configuration pages.

I believe DD-WRT has as "access point" mode. This may be simpler to setup.

DD-WRT has some settings for maximum number of connections to track and possibly some timeout values. If you're having trouble with Bittorrent, try increasing the connections and decreasing the timeout. I believe my stock DD-WRT tracked 4096 connections by default. A WRT54G v6 only has 1/2 the RAM of earlier models though so that might be where the problem is. Consider decreasing the maximum number of connections in uTorrent as well.

I haven't had any problem using Bittorrent with the DPC3825.

simon726

Ajax, ON

Currently, my IP address for the default gateway on my WRT54G router (with DD-WRT) is 192.168.2.1.

I'm currently experimenting that with my similar setup at home (I have a Motorola Surfboard modem with my Linksys E2500 wireless-N router all used to share all of my computers at home).

By experimenting, I'm using the WRT54G as a "repeater" bridge. I don't have any cables connected to that router at the moment, but one of my laptops is connected wirelessly. I'm also demonstrating some BitTorrent activity as well and surfing at the same time.

I'm also fine turning the settings on the WRT54G router and my Bittorrent application. Out of curiosity, where can I configure the number of connections and reduce the timeout? On the WRT54G router or my BitTorrent appllcation?

Oh, and when I connect my WRT54G router to the DPC3825, should I connect one cable from the DPC3825 to the WRT54G on one of the LAN ports or the "WAN" port?

Sorry if I'm not following on what you had said.

puzz1ed

Markham, ON

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ro···Slowdown

You can configure it in the Administration->Management page. See the page above.

I connect a LAN port from each router. I recommend configuring the WRT54G while it is disconnected from the LAN. It is tricky since once you renumber its IP range and disable DHCP on it, you will lose connectivity from your PC. If you're familiar with how to properly manually assign an IP address on your PC, it'll help you if you get into trouble. Otherwise, just reboot your PC and/or reset the router.

simon726

Ajax, ON

said by puzz1ed:

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ro···Slowdown

You can configure it in the Administration->Management page. See the page above.

I connect a LAN port from each router. I recommend configuring the WRT54G while it is disconnected from the LAN. It is tricky since once you renumber its IP range and disable DHCP on it, you will lose connectivity from your PC. If you're familiar with how to properly manually assign an IP address on your PC, it'll help you if you get into trouble. Otherwise, just reboot your PC and/or reset the router.

Before you had posted this, I ended up on going back to the so called "VxWorks" firmware (the stock firmware that Cisco Linksys ships with each and every home router).

Why? To prevent unanticipated problems that my sister and my brother in-law might be facing......

Anyways, I'll continue to search for other options available.

puzz1ed

Markham, ON

Here's some info about setting up an access point.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wi···ss_Point

simon726

Ajax, ON
reply to simon726

Thanks for the link. Another question I would like to ask is, which particular cabling should I use in the following situation?

DPC3825 (turned into cable modem) -----> My WRT54G wireless router ----> Ethernet switch (or hub)

Should I also opt for a FastEthernet (10/100) type switch or a GigabitEthernet switch (10/100/1000) switch?

Didn't I mention to you that I've decided to revert into the VxWorks firmware? Restoring it isn't that easy. DD-WRT often causes problems for me - mostly with the P2P application issues.

puzz1ed

Markham, ON

I would recommend cat 5E cabling which is pretty standard now and gigabit capable.

From typical home use, a gigabit switch is only required if you have gigabit capable devices and plan to do very large file transfers between them. It won't help you with your Internet connections. Personally, I run gigabit but if you want to save a few dollars then 100Mbit is fine.

If you're considering gigabit then consider leaving the DPC3825 as a router. Once you put it in bridge mode and put it behind your own router, you won't be able to use its built-in gigabit switch. The DPC3825 has its drawbacks but being able to consolidate your proposed three device setup into a single device can be convenient. The WRT54G also only supports 802.11g which may or may not be an issue for you.

Does VxWorks work better with P2P for you? If you're having problems with P2P then I suspect the problem is not necessarily DD-WRT.

simon726

Ajax, ON

said by puzz1ed:

I would recommend cat 5E cabling which is pretty standard now and gigabit capable.

From typical home use, a gigabit switch is only required if you have gigabit capable devices and plan to do very large file transfers between them. It won't help you with your Internet connections. Personally, I run gigabit but if you want to save a few dollars then 100Mbit is fine.

If you're considering gigabit then consider leaving the DPC3825 as a router. Once you put it in bridge mode and put it behind your own router, you won't be able to use its built-in gigabit switch. The DPC3825 has its drawbacks but being able to consolidate your proposed three device setup into a single device can be convenient. The WRT54G also only supports 802.11g which may or may not be an issue for you.

Does VxWorks work better with P2P for you? If you're having problems with P2P then I suspect the problem is not necessarily DD-WRT.

Well, I used to have the VxWorks firmware on my old router, then I switched to a Linksys E2500 Dual-band wireless N router this past Spring.

By the way, I still have the Motorola Surfboard modem attached to the router and it was working perfectly.

I've tried using DD-WRT before and while using a P2P application, it tends to lock itself up (this is evident by blinking lights on the WRT54G). Therefore, I have to unplug the WRT54G and plug it back in to restart.

As a result, I then reverted to VxWorks. I might consider getting a completely new router for my older sister's new house.

simon726

Ajax, ON

Okay, here's my update - I'm terribly sorry about my delay.

Last night, I've configured my sister's DPC3825 router/modem combo to be just a modem. Apparently, there's seem to be an option on setting up to "Bridge Mode", which I did.

I've configured that, and the modem restarts itself. I then connect my laptop into port 1 (hardwired, just so you know) of the DPC3825 and then I tested a speed and I was impressed with the speed difference. When using that method, it was about 30mbps download speed and about 512kbps upload.

I then configured my WRT54G router to work with the DPC3825 (I plugged the cable from port 1 of the DPC3825 and placed it into the WAN port of the WRT54G router).

I then tested both wired and wireless and try to compare the reception level from basement to third floor and I was very thrilled with the speed differences!

My sister and my brother in-law was pleased with my efforts on configuring it for them because they have many devices in their house:

- BlackBerry Bold smartphone
- Apple iPhone 4
- Samsung Smart TV
- XBOX 360
- One Compaq Laptop (couldn't remember the exact model)
- One HP Laptop (thought I can't remember the exact model)

I also made a suggestion that if they want to have all the Cat5e/6 ports enabled throughout the house, I told them to get a networking switch to allow all ports throughout the house.

Thanks for your help, folks! If there are any problems, I'll let you know. This thread will be marked as "SOLVED".

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

Worth noting is that with a WRT54G, you're crippling your bandwidth to about 20Mbps. You might consider investing in a new wireless-N router.

simon726

Ajax, ON

said by JAC70:

Worth noting is that with a WRT54G, you're crippling your bandwidth to about 20Mbps. You might consider investing in a new wireless-N router.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let my older sister and my brother in-law know. Any particular brands could you recommend?

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to simon726

I'm having good results with my Cisco Linksys e3000 with TomatoUSB firmware. Asus routers have been well-reviewed as well.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to simon726

said by simon726:

Any particular brands could you recommend?

I do not trust CISCO Linksys. If you want to find out why look over my posting history on this forum to learn why.

My suggestion is the Netgear WNDR4500

One Review of the WNDR4500. I have installed many of these units for clients who are very pleased .
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by mozerd:

....Netgear WNDR4500--- this gear is SUPERB.

Yea, you've made a pretty strong case for the Netgear WNDR4500. When my TP-LINK TL- WR1043ND (awesome range) needs replacing, I will either buy the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 for $99 or go really big and get your Netgear WNDR4500.

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=050695

I'm a firm believer in buying name brand quality parts.........