zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Scientists charged criminally for not predicting earthquake

An Italian court has convicted six scientists and a government official of manslaughter for failing to give adequate warning of a deadly earthquake in 2009, the Daily Mail reported Tuesday.

The city of L'Aquila was decimated by the quake, which measured more than 6.3 on the Richter scale and killed more than 300 people.

Now the group of seven, all members of an official body called the National Commission for the Forecast and Prevention of Major Risks, have been found guilty of negligence and malpractice in their evaluation of the danger of an earthquake.

»www.bignewsnetwork.com/index.php···ac2f80f2

Next, the complaints will flow that that no one wants to discuss earthquake activity.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Real question is where will it end? Meterologists get track of hurricane wrong so they are put in jail? Not quick enough for a tornado working and live are lost so more go to jail?

In my opinion, at least for Italy, this opens up a whole new realm of law suits and criminal court cases. Wouldn't surprise me if commercials didn't start showing up here soon from the Law Offices of Yahoo and Yahoo if you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an unpredicted weather or geological related incident.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer

It comes down to liability... If they call themselves the "National Convention for the Forecast and Prevention of Major Risks", then they have set themselves up for failure by stating that they can do such things.

I hate to be a party pooper but ours is called the National Weather Service. Nothing more, nothing less. I can't fault them for providing a service even when they are wrong. It's just false advertising on the Italians' part...

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to EGeezer

The bottom line is, who knows how to predict an earthquake? No one that I know of yet!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to EGeezer

Well all I again say is you will NEVER make a tourist happy....

Katrina here (most never even knew happened) but so unexpected southern dive... no tourist evacuation. (first time ever seen that in 20 years)

But sure enough next day why no power (but fully restored before sunset) and pool full of deck furniture?

And hopelessly tried to warn those in NO how unpredictable she was but to no avail.Many here managed to survived being better off, but it was horrid what happened to so many others.

You really worried trivially here (Vacation NOT INTERUPTED) yet evacuated day after but still here with fair weather and plenty of generator cold beer and drinks even with ice in town?

No just too ANAL, NOT PERFECT I guess

And agin so sorry though locally and many other ways NO did not pay attention.

Proven again with Sandy in a a place too unaccustomed by much more benign Irene last year but catastrophic upstate (never nationaly WX warned of though hopefully locally) last year Sandy was only amazingly coastal totally this year and relatively nothing inland but the snow in the high Appalacian Mts. Not upstate NY or NE.... who again were national warned this of the catastrophic floods NYC never got last year from Irene but NE did big time and not this time. And again totally bacdkasswards.

VS Just life you are stupid enough to come to the Keys during prime hurricane season. (Gee it was cheap rates why?)
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to EGeezer

And of course the predicament they are in is crying wolf too often.

This time they didn't and maybe should have....

But hardly and exact science even today.

Unless domething like huge St Helene's bulge happens again and evewn them many and most who died just didn't listen.

And it was an even more unpredictable EQ not a maybe far more obvious Volcano like buldging St Helens
--

Expand your moderator at work