how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
reply to StuartMW

Re: How often do you change your Wi-Fi SSID/Passphrase?

Change once per year. No DHCP. Static IP on all devices. 64 bit WPA-PSK passphrase.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

We have a winner! Here's your prize. Wear it with pride my friend

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

Which character(s) are not allowed in SSID's and WLAN passwords?

»forum.snom.com/index.php?showtopic=6785
If the link will not work for u..then

The following six characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ],
and +. In addition, the following three characters cannot be the first
character: !, #, and ;.

»www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/wirele···ity.html

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 edits

said by Name Game:

The following six characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ] and +.

Well I found out, the hard way, that one of my devices doesn't accept a \. It does accept all the other non-allowed characters though.

Oh wait that was in the passphrase not the SSID.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to StuartMW

The (non-broadcasting) SSID and the WPA passphrase for my production WiFi AP is etched in granite, and is unlikely to change unless I see some router/firewall log entries that indicate a problem (not likely to happen with the maximum length non-dictionary mixed alpha-numeric-special character passphrase I use). I turn on a special guest AP for visitors (which uses MAC filtering and no encryption), so I don't have a need to change anything on my normal WiFi since only permanently authorized devices are allowed access.

OTOH, I do occasionally change the SSID on my intermittently operated honeypot so that I can attract new victims visitors.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I have a guest network which isolates each client, but no one uses it. My guests just connect to the unsecured 'linksys' access point next door.

That doesn't really bother me, and it means my guests don't suck-up my bandwidth.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Really? I have a guest net that has 60 gigs for usage by them. I wouldn't think of letting them leech/ steal from a neighbour.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to StuartMW

I only change SSIDs and passphrases if I were to change my wireless APs/routers, redo firmwares, etc. I never use the same ones between them.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

I did some checking and apparently the IEEE 802.11 standard doesn't say anything about prohibited characters. Cisco doesn't allow the ones you quote but other vendors do

I also found that although SSID's can be 32 chars long some devices only allow 31 (31 plus nul terminator makes 32 total).

quote:
The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from.

Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 2nd ed., p. 254
--

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Really? I have a guest net that has 60 gigs for usage by them. I wouldn't think of letting them leech/ steal from a neighbour.

No one here has any caps/quotas. This is America!!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

And, only $19.95...

quote:
But wait! I f you act NOW, we'll throw in another unlimited for free! That's right, FREE! Act now!

Offer limited to those on Mars, Venus, and Jupiter. Offer void where prohibited.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

I've never changed mine......actually I still use WEP. I live among older folks that could care less about my wireless connection, lol.

I take the necessary precautions however. The ONLY reason I use wep is because an OLD wireless router I use as a repeater only supprts wep.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by poppster:

I've never changed mine......actually I still use WEP.

Wow, you must have big brass ones
--

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
reply to StuartMW

lol die hard WEP fan! ahahah

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Name Game:

I did some checking and apparently the IEEE 802.11 standard doesn't say anything about prohibited characters. Cisco doesn't allow the ones you quote but other vendors do

I also found that although SSID's can be 32 chars long some devices only allow 31 (31 plus nul terminator makes 32 total).

quote:
The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from.

Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 2nd ed., p. 254

Go figure..well only looked into it because was thinking when I get back home...will transmit a SSID like "See Bob for a Good time" with the email addy on a spare router not hooked to the net.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Gilbert, AZ
reply to StuartMW

I'm with Juggernaut - I only change the SSID if I think of something funnier. The password I actually only shortened - try typing some long-ass password on a shaky Wii controller keyboard and you'll understand! (It's still a short phrase, though)
--
ON DELETE CASCADE

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to StuartMW

Haven't changed either of mine in a few years. Using WPA2-AES.

I live in a low income neighborhood and 2WIRE SSIDs seem to dominate. I appear to be the only guy with a creative touch for custom SSIDs.. that and the 'lolwep' guy my laptop picks up on rare occasions.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to poppster

said by poppster:

lol die hard WEP fan! ahahah

Is your SSID "GoAheadHackMe"?
--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

2 recommendations

I used to change it every week just to tick off my neighbor, but then I figured I should leave the guy's router alone and get my own.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Did you use that new android app ?

Wifi Hacker 3.0
»www.mobiles24.com/downloads/s/55···i_hacker

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to StuartMW

I never change my SSID and haven't changed my passphrase since I use a 63 character random one. I also have a guest account which I use to connect my secondary devices (ereader, cell phone, etc.) since I don't use those for any financial transactions or keep any sensitive information on them.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

Never. I'd have too many devices (including other AP's) to reset.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Link Logger

That would have to be the smartest, funniest reply here.
(Even though you're probably not joking.)

-------------

Topic:
I've changed mine already in the last 8 mths; oh, wait a minute, it was a tech support replacement modem/router, and of course the change came with that.

Why would you need to change it - if you can't crack the passphrase why worry - but then some toys have "auto" connected without the passphrase; not sure how that comes about.

Like to use industry standard WPA2 but similar issue, some toys just don't care for that sort of security.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

OneHeart

join:2002-02-20
reply to StuartMW

So no one does it on a daily basis?
--
OneHeart

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I think that'd make you Obsessive/Compulsive And Wi-Fi security is probably the least of your problems.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to StuartMW

I have separate wired and wireless routers, and they are isolated and firewalled from each other.

I use RADIUS authentication for our wireless, and change the login passwords about every six months. I haven't changed the key for years.

The difficulty I have with the wireless setup is that I can't print from it because my networked printer doesn't support RADIUS authentication.

The tablets and Smartphones I've seen don't support RADIUS, so guest access is limited.

In summary, I guess it's "Security by Incompatibility"

SlimJymmie

@charter.com
reply to Tig

said by Tig:

I VLAN everything into logical groups. Wireless is for personal mobile devices and guests access to the net.

What do you use to do this? Most SOHO routers don't offer this capability unless you are using a custom firmware like DD-WRT or it's cousin, Tomato. (Actually, I'm not 100% these firmwares offer this either but I think they do

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to poppster

said by poppster:

I've never changed mine......actually I still use WEP. I live among older folks that could care less about my wireless connection, lol.

I take the necessary precautions however. The ONLY reason I use wep is because an OLD wireless router I use as a repeater only supprts wep.

Yeah old wireless devices can be a problem with WEP only.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW

Rarely, I use AES-WPA2 it will be very rare for someone to brute force and guess my password. Especially with the amount of character's I put in their. Also if someone got on my network I would notice the network activity and the MAC log address would show me who connected. When someone trys or attemps to gain access e-mails are mailed to me about the intrusion. I wish anyone out there best of luck to enter my device.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by brianiscool:

Rarely, I use AES-WPA2 it will be very rare for someone to brute force and guess my password. Especially with the amount of character's I put in their. Also if someone got on my network I would notice the network activity and the MAC log address would show me who connected. When someone trys or attemps to gain access e-mails are mailed to me about the intrusion. I wish anyone out there best of luck to enter my device.

Where do you live? [grin]
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.