DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: How often do you change your Wi-Fi SSID/Passphrase?

I never change my SSID and haven't changed my passphrase since I use a 63 character random one. I also have a guest account which I use to connect my secondary devices (ereader, cell phone, etc.) since I don't use those for any financial transactions or keep any sensitive information on them.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Never. I'd have too many devices (including other AP's) to reset.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
That would have to be the smartest, funniest reply here.
(Even though you're probably not joking.)

-------------

Topic:
I've changed mine already in the last 8 mths; oh, wait a minute, it was a tech support replacement modem/router, and of course the change came with that.

Why would you need to change it - if you can't crack the passphrase why worry - but then some toys have "auto" connected without the passphrase; not sure how that comes about.

Like to use industry standard WPA2 but similar issue, some toys just don't care for that sort of security.
OneHeart
join:2002-02-20

OneHeart to StuartMW

to StuartMW
So no one does it on a daily basis?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

I think that'd make you Obsessive/Compulsive And Wi-Fi security is probably the least of your problems.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I have separate wired and wireless routers, and they are isolated and firewalled from each other.

I use RADIUS authentication for our wireless, and change the login passwords about every six months. I haven't changed the key for years.

The difficulty I have with the wireless setup is that I can't print from it because my networked printer doesn't support RADIUS authentication.

The tablets and Smartphones I've seen don't support RADIUS, so guest access is limited.

In summary, I guess it's "Security by Incompatibility"

SlimJymmie
@charter.com

SlimJymmie to Tig

Anon

to Tig
said by Tig:

I VLAN everything into logical groups. Wireless is for personal mobile devices and guests access to the net.

What do you use to do this? Most SOHO routers don't offer this capability unless you are using a custom firmware like DD-WRT or it's cousin, Tomato. (Actually, I'm not 100% these firmwares offer this either but I think they do

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to poppster

Premium Member

to poppster
said by poppster:

I've never changed mine......actually I still use WEP. I live among older folks that could care less about my wireless connection, lol.

I take the necessary precautions however. The ONLY reason I use wep is because an OLD wireless router I use as a repeater only supprts wep.

Yeah old wireless devices can be a problem with WEP only.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Rarely, I use AES-WPA2 it will be very rare for someone to brute force and guess my password. Especially with the amount of character's I put in their. Also if someone got on my network I would notice the network activity and the MAC log address would show me who connected. When someone trys or attemps to gain access e-mails are mailed to me about the intrusion. I wish anyone out there best of luck to enter my device.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by brianiscool:

Rarely, I use AES-WPA2 it will be very rare for someone to brute force and guess my password. Especially with the amount of character's I put in their. Also if someone got on my network I would notice the network activity and the MAC log address would show me who connected. When someone trys or attemps to gain access e-mails are mailed to me about the intrusion. I wish anyone out there best of luck to enter my device.

Where do you live? [grin]

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I'll take your challenge if you want to try to crack my LAN...

Bring it, and bring your best. I sense failure, though.
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I only change my SSID when I see the double SSIDs.
I use 802.11A 5 Ghz band. sometimes I see my SSID in 5ghz band and the 2.4 GHz band. when I see it in the 2.4 Ghz band I change the SSID, then the identical one on the 2.4 Ghz disappears.
I only use 802.11A due to crowded 2.4 band and to keep my neighbors off my Wi-Fi. when I see my SSID in the 2.4 band the mac address belongs to an Apple device
My security is WPA/AES Enterprise. my access points only support WEP or WPA/AES-enterprise only

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Why should the password ever be changed, unless cracked?

And if a wpa2 password was cracked, wouldn't you be screwed anyway?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to SlimJymmie

Premium Member

to SlimJymmie
said by SlimJymmie :

said by Tig:

I VLAN everything into logical groups. Wireless is for personal mobile devices and guests access to the net.

What do you use to do this? Most SOHO routers don't offer this capability unless you are using a custom firmware like DD-WRT or it's cousin, Tomato. (Actually, I'm not 100% these firmwares offer this either but I think they do

Personally, I use a Cisco 1252 series AP. Doesn't everyone? It'll VLAN all day long.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Never.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to SlimJymmie

to SlimJymmie
said by SlimJymmie :

said by Tig:

I use a Netgear GS108T. It's a rather inexpensive managed switch. It sits next to the DSL modem which serves up DHCP. WiFi is handled by remote discrete routers (run as hardwired switches) which have DHCP turned off.
Perhaps not the simplest solution but it allows me to put all devices where I want them.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by poppster:

lol die hard WEP fan! ahahah

Is your SSID "GoAheadHackMe"?

OMG IM HAXORED!
wat0114
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
Calgary, AB

wat0114

Premium Member

Never changed mine.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to poppster

MVM

to poppster
I have an open network here and what happens to your computer when you connected to it is 'your' fault for connecting to it. I'd never connect to that festering pit of oozing malware as I know whats in there.

Blake
Sometimes even the hunters get hunted

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
I am going to change my SSID to "FBI Surveillance Van" and set it up with WPA2 encryption.

That should keep people from trying to hack it.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

ctggzg to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

Suppose you do banking online at home, I would switch off wireless and use LAN cabled network instead.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If you don't trust WPA + SSL, you'd better not use a computer at all.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I have an open network here and what happens to your computer when you connected to it is 'your' fault for connecting to it. I'd never connect to that festering pit of oozing malware as I know whats in there.

Blake
Sometimes even the hunters get hunted

So an infected honeypot?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian to ctggzg

Premium Member

to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

said by slajoh01:

Suppose you do banking online at home, I would switch off wireless and use LAN cabled network instead.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If you don't trust WPA + SSL, you'd better not use a computer at all.

I don't know, SSL implementation of late has had a big hit against it.
I prefer to walk into the bank myself....little ol' fashioned.

As for wireless, isn't it always been recommended for better security to use a hardline......regardless of the fact the sniffed air traffic is encrypted, it can be still looked at and stored elsewhere even if they don't know the key. Bit far fetched and I understand your thoughts still, but hardwired for years has always been recommended for best security. Maybe wireless encryption is that good now, I can't say yes or no, but I'm willing to learn or try to keep up with technology.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Re: SSL -- what hit is that exactly?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Without getting off topic - remember we are not being specific to a singular protocol here for the implementation of SSL, so I will generalize:

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ms12-006
»arstechnica.com/business ··· rs-find/
»arstechnica.com/security ··· ts-warn/
»www.filetransferconsulti ··· ability/
»arstechnica.com/security ··· essions/
»www.mozilla.org/projects ··· cbc.html
»Google disables SSL compression in Chrome against new attack
»kb.juniper.net/InfoCente ··· =SSL_VPN
»www-01.ibm.com/support/d ··· 21609029
»blog.rafaeltorrales.info ··· alation/
»threatpost.com/en_us/blo ··· s-102512
»threatpost.com/en_us/blo ··· e-091912
»www.securitybistro.com/b ··· /?p=3178

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Thanks!

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I actually have not changed mine in years.

But I'm using a HEX key generated at: »www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Using WPA2 AES and a key like 3FAE6F72EF109FB59F15F264A613E618B80F795C2EF0B734F7AE2A38F081886F I really don't think even Kevin Mitnik could get in.

Not to mention I'm using channel 13 and "n" only mode.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

True, but now anyone who might want to hack your airwaves knows the key does not use the letters "G - Z" or "g - f" now.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

1 edit

TheTechGuru

said by norwegian:

True, but now anyone who might want to hack your airwaves knows the key does not use the letters "G - Z" or "g - f" now.

The key would not contain them either way. ASCII keys are converted to HEX before they get transmitted over the air anyway.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

1 recommendation

TheMG to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I never change my wifi SSID and key.

'Cause my wifi AP has been sitting in a box the last few months. Have not needed it.