uniqs

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

[crt/lcd] Compaq Presario F767NR Notebook PC

I have a chance to buy this notebook for $35. It doesn't have a power adapter (but I can get on eBay for $8 and free shipping) The specs are listed here:

»h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsu ··· d=321957

The reason it's so cheap? The owner states the LCD screen started becoming intermittent and now the LCD doesn't come on at all. The notebook still powers up as if it's booting up, just no LCD display. I have no experience in fixing notebooks other than minor things (keyboards, ram, hard drives) but never LCD's.

I figured this could be a good learning experience and even if I am not able to fix/too expensive to fix... I could use this laptop by connecting a external monitor, etc to it or accessing remotely via RDP/TeamViewer/VNC/LogMeIn and throw the laptop in a corner somewhere. It would be perfect for a media center PC if it had HDMI but it doesn't.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by MineCoast:

The reason it's so cheap? The owner states the LCD screen started becoming intermittent and now the LCD doesn't come on at all. The notebook still powers up as if it's booting up, just no LCD display. I have no experience in fixing notebooks other than minor things (keyboards, ram, hard drives) but never LCD's.

Before you buy it, connect it to an external monitor to ensure it really is only an LCD. LCDs are pretty easy to swap out, and pretty cheap too, you just need to know this before you get into it. If it won't display on an external monitor, stay away from it.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
A bad motherboard will exhibit the same symptoms you describe and can act as if it has powered and is booting normally. Fans kick on, etc. In some cases a bad motherboard can even exhibit a normal POST "all is well" beep.
A bad video card, often a part of the motherboard in cheaper laptops, can cause the same behavior as well.
Variable aplenty.

Make sure you know exactly what you are purchasing. You can buy paperweights far cheaper than $35.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Thanks Guys. I decided to pass on the deal. Just isn't worth the risk for me.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
I would have taken it for parts at least, but that's just me .