share rss forum feed

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to wayne905

Re: Today's Event Poll

27" doesn't ship until December, so it'll probably be awhile.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Jackarino
Not impressed. Windows 8 is looking more and more inviting.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
wat

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

Or at least the Microsoft Slate who Apple is trying to shut out of the market.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I'd rather they have kept the iMac fatter, put real horsepower in it and dropped the price.

This is what's puzzled me as well.. What's the point of keeping it this ridiculously thin around the edges, only to have a fat bump in the back? Even if you hang it on a wall using a wallmount, it still sticks out...

And to only get a hardon on how thin the edges are? Sheesh...

21.5" base model iMac appears to be gimped with a 2.5" 5400rpm drive with non user upgradeable ram, so that thing will be slow due to the slow drive...

If it was 3.5" drive they would never have said it's 5400rpm, as that'd be stupid to put in a 3.5" "green" drive...
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by HiVolt:

said by skeechan:

I'd rather they have kept the iMac fatter, put real horsepower in it and dropped the price.

This is what's puzzled me as well.. What's the point of keeping it this ridiculously thin around the edges, only to have a fat bump in the back? Even if you hang it on a wall using a wallmount, it still sticks out...

And to only get a hardon on how thin the edges are? Sheesh...

21.5" base model iMac appears to be gimped with a 2.5" 5400rpm drive with non user upgradeable ram, so that thing will be slow due to the slow drive...

If it was 3.5" drive they would never have said it's 5400rpm, as that'd be stupid to put in a 3.5" "green" drive...

Yeah, way to kill performance Apple!

iPad Mini, no retna, no want.
Mac Mini, decent upgrade. Stupid design with SD card reader on the back. And USB on the back. And FW on the back. Regardless, I will probably get one of these to replace my old Mini (2006ish model).
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to HiVolt
They really did go overboard with the thin comments didn't they. Odd. I don't get it. I guess their market research tells them thin will make these sell by the truckload.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Nezmo:

They really did go overboard with the thin comments didn't they. Odd. I don't get it. I guess their market research tells them thin will make these sell by the truckload.

I'm really waiting on the iFixit report how utterly hard it will be to open them and replace anything...

For the price they demand for these things, they sure are underpowered...
--

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by robbin:

What? Facts?

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Nezmo:

I'm really waiting on the iFixit report how utterly hard it will be to open them and replace anything...

For the price they demand for these things, they sure are underpowered...

I think Apple wants it that way. They want to sell you an appliance that you cannot upgrade and replace when you need more.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

My wife's 'new' iPad arrived exactly 5 days ago....

Pissed - the mini was expected; the refresh on the iPad, not so much... I would have waited...

I saw this quote regarding your situation:

"Unless Apple came into your house and smashed your iPad 3, they didn’t “screw you”. They released a better product you don’t have to buy."
--

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to donoreo
The mini still has a sharp screen. The DPI isn't retina but I imagine the cost of the retina screen simply makes it impractical for apple to make presently. Maybe iPad mini 2nd gen will get that feature. Plus an A6...

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Black_Mage
It's not a hybrid drive. It's an SSD+HDD that are merged in software (an maybe a different controller chip on motherboard?) to maximize performance and be seamless to the end user. I am def looking forward to that feature.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by LazMan:

My wife's 'new' iPad arrived exactly 5 days ago....

Pissed - the mini was expected; the refresh on the iPad, not so much... I would have waited...

I saw this quote regarding your situation:

"Unless Apple came into your house and smashed your iPad 3, they didn’t “screw you”. They released a better product you don’t have to buy."

Oh, I didn't say they screwed me... I just had no idea a new iPad was in the works... The mini was pretty common knowledge; the 4th gen iPad, not as much.

I'm not going to return it, even though its well within the return period; that would be a dick move...

That doesn't mean I can't be irritated at the timing. I am.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rugby
said by rugby:

said by sk1939:

said by robbin:

What? Facts?

Timing, considering Microsoft for months has said the release date is Oct 26th. Since Apple released the Mini, it is/was expected the news would dwarf any news Microsoft has. Given the relative lackluster launch though anything is possible.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to LazMan
I would defiantly exchange it for a new one. Its free!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
Plainfield, IN
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Timing, considering Microsoft for months has said the release date is Oct 26th. Since Apple released the Mini, it is/was expected the news would dwarf any news Microsoft has. Given the relative lackluster launch though anything is possible.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, I asked for facts. Not your own opinion.

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out
reply to Jackarino
The time to buy new stuff is when your old stuff breaks and can't be fixed or is so old that it no longer is supported. It's very easy to fall prey to the slick marketing that makes us feel that we need the latest and greatest. It's fine if you have lots of disposable cash and that's what you want. I don't buy a new car every year, why should I buy a new computer/phone/cell phone/e-book reader every year? It is wise however to check the rumor sites for what new stuff will be out soon, but only if you are in the market. Sometimes it's worth waiting a little. There is some warning.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rugby
said by rugby:

said by sk1939:

Understandable, but you must admit the timing is a little too convenient to be coincidental.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to Jackarino
Anyone who is annoyed at the 6 month generation cycle for the standard iPad can only change Apple's behavior by buying a product on your own timetable, not Apple's.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
Plainfield, IN
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by rugby:

said by sk1939:

Understandable, but you must admit the timing is a little too convenient to be coincidental.

Are you new to the industry? Everybody does this.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
No, they generally don't, especially when the company is the size of Apple. It's rather like a low blow I would say.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino
When do pre orders for the ipad mini start? Early Friday or Friday during the day?
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Going by the website saying simply "Oct 26", it will be 12:00 AM Pacific time.
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Jackarino
My next computer purchase will be the iMac...man, that is a KILLER computer! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Next on the list, iPad Mini....then Mac Mini...or...maybe the MacMini should be my next purchase..

CURSE YOU APPLE! CURSE YOU! STOP MAKING STUFF I WANT!
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Huh? The MBPr 13-in doesn't have an optical drive.

The MBP 13-in and 15-in w/ optical drive is still available.

Different units...plus they still need a low cost MBP.

Once LED prices come down, MBP(R) will be the new MacBook Pro.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
I know, that's what I was pointing out. sk1939 See Profile's comment didn't make any sense (to me, at least) because they didn't "pull" the superdrive on the 15" MBP either. They just added a new category of MBP that does not have superdrives.

I assume you mean LCD prices? I think it'll be 2 years until the MacBook Pro (non-R) is phased out in the 13" form factor. But that may be conservative.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by Thinkdiff:

I assume you mean LCD prices? I think it'll be 2 years until the MacBook Pro (non-R) is phased out in the 13" form factor. But that may be conservative.

Right, I meant LED backlite LCD. That said, two years they might start using OLED displays.

Gotta hand it to them, other than their iOS6 screw-up, their moving a long as Jobs would have.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
The new iMac and the iPad Mini bring nothing new to the table, I have no idea why you would want either other than to have the latest and greatest Apple product. You can't even use old accessories with the Mini unless you buy the Lightning to 30Pin adapter.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

I know, that's what I was pointing out. sk1939 See Profile's comment didn't make any sense (to me, at least) because they didn't "pull" the superdrive on the 15" MBP either. They just added a new category of MBP that does not have superdrives.

That's the point, when the current Macbook is phased out none of Apple's notebooks will have optical drives built in. Additionally they nixed it from the Mac Mini and from the new iMac (which they should have made more powerful, not thinner, in addition to being overpriced). Some of us still use those on a regular basis, especially for restore options.