VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to sk1939

Re: Today's Event Poll

said by sk1939:

said by rugby:

said by sk1939:

Timing, considering Microsoft for months has said the release date is Oct 26th. Since Apple released the Mini, it is/was expected the news would dwarf any news Microsoft has. Given the relative lackluster launch though anything is possible.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, I asked for facts. Not your own opinion.

Understandable, but you must admit the timing is a little too convenient to be coincidental.

Are you new to the industry? Everybody does this.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

No, they generally don't, especially when the company is the size of Apple. It's rather like a low blow I would say.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Jackarino

When do pre orders for the ipad mini start? Early Friday or Friday during the day?
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Going by the website saying simply "Oct 26", it will be 12:00 AM Pacific time.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Jackarino

My next computer purchase will be the iMac...man, that is a KILLER computer! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Next on the list, iPad Mini....then Mac Mini...or...maybe the MacMini should be my next purchase..

CURSE YOU APPLE! CURSE YOU! STOP MAKING STUFF I WANT!
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Huh? The MBPr 13-in doesn't have an optical drive.

The MBP 13-in and 15-in w/ optical drive is still available.

Different units...plus they still need a low cost MBP.

Once LED prices come down, MBP(R) will be the new MacBook Pro.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

I know, that's what I was pointing out. sk1939 See Profile's comment didn't make any sense (to me, at least) because they didn't "pull" the superdrive on the 15" MBP either. They just added a new category of MBP that does not have superdrives.

I assume you mean LCD prices? I think it'll be 2 years until the MacBook Pro (non-R) is phased out in the 13" form factor. But that may be conservative.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Thinkdiff:

I assume you mean LCD prices? I think it'll be 2 years until the MacBook Pro (non-R) is phased out in the 13" form factor. But that may be conservative.

Right, I meant LED backlite LCD. That said, two years they might start using OLED displays.

Gotta hand it to them, other than their iOS6 screw-up, their moving a long as Jobs would have.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

The new iMac and the iPad Mini bring nothing new to the table, I have no idea why you would want either other than to have the latest and greatest Apple product. You can't even use old accessories with the Mini unless you buy the Lightning to 30Pin adapter.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

I know, that's what I was pointing out. sk1939 See Profile's comment didn't make any sense (to me, at least) because they didn't "pull" the superdrive on the 15" MBP either. They just added a new category of MBP that does not have superdrives.

That's the point, when the current Macbook is phased out none of Apple's notebooks will have optical drives built in. Additionally they nixed it from the Mac Mini and from the new iMac (which they should have made more powerful, not thinner, in addition to being overpriced). Some of us still use those on a regular basis, especially for restore options.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Then they have a beautiful $79 SuperDrive to sell you. I'd bet the majority of users no longer use DVDs regularly.

I agree the iMac update doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a necessity standpoint. I don't think anybody was demanding thinner iMacs.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I would have rather kept the thicker size and kept more user upgradable features
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Jackarino

Click for full size
Anybody else get one?

Haven't decided if I'm going to keep the order, yet. Just figured I'd get it now in case they're sold out for weeks like the iPhone 5 (although, I will be very surprised if it is). Need to play with one at an Apple Store first.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

Just preordered my iPad mini!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Jackarino

White iPad minis are sold out of Day 1 orders already. That's incredible (or they have extremely limited supply).
--

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to Jackarino

I chose Other. I was overall unimpressed, though with a new Mini I can now save money on the outgoing Mini model. As an ipad3 owner, meh to the iPad 4 but I'm still satisfied with the iPad 3 for now.
--
neuronbob.com

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to sk1939

Sorry you got hurt over this, but everybody does it.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Then they have a beautiful $79 SuperDrive to sell you. I'd bet the majority of users no longer use DVDs regularly.

I agree the iMac update doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a necessity standpoint. I don't think anybody was demanding thinner iMacs.

I've used my Super drive like twice this year, one of those times was using it just to be using it.
I don't think anyone even thought about a thinner iMac, but I can guaranty they sell millions because it is.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

iPad mini just arrived!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012