My Setup:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600
Sandisk SSD
OnBoard Audio
XFX AMD Radeon HD6870
Windows 7

I have the computer connected to:
Panasonic SC-BT330 Home Theater system via Toslink Optical connection.

The Issue:
As soon as I turn on the computer audio works properly. However, after a few hours audio somehow goes out of sync. There is a delay in the audio playback. The audio goes out of sync on the entire system (System sounds, YouTube, Recorded Videos, etc). The fix I have been implying at the moment is just restarting the computer and the audio will once again be in proper sync.

I have already tried reinstalling the sound drivers also.

Now my question is what should I do so audio does not go out of sync after a certain amount of time.
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
You don't mention having a discreet sound card so I'll assume you're using the onboard audio. The fact that it seems to happen after some considerable time/usage period, I'm thinking maybe a heat related issue. Also, is it possible that there is something that may be kicking off in the background that might be sharing the same IRQ that the sound system uses?

mastermind278
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Clementon, NJ
I apologize, yes I am using the Onboard Audio. It shouldn't be a heat issue as my Mobo temps are pretty good!
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to mastermind278
What devices on the mobo are actually being monitored?

mastermind278
Premium
Clementon, NJ

1 edit
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So my temperatures look good.

My system is cooled down by the following:
2 Xigamatek 200MM Case fan (Front In, Top Fan is Exhaust)
1- Antec 120MM Rear Fan
Corsair A70 CPU Heatsink/Fan

Edit: Added the Bios reports, as SpeedFan was showing incorrect 12V rail.
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to mastermind278
Ok, I have no idea what relation all those abbreviations have to wherever the audio device is located on the mobo. Anyway, are the readings you show, an example of "idle" or are they indicative of when the audio is out of sync? Also, just curious, where is the PC located in relation to your entertainment center?

mastermind278
Premium
Clementon, NJ
To be honest I don't know what all the abbreviations mean either, however, all the temps are good. Those temps (speedfan) were taken when audio went out of sync. Obviously the Bios ones were while I was doing a reboot to get it back in sync.

Maybe I can explain it a little better. If I constantly play some type of audio the audio will always stay in sync. It just seems if there is a long pause without any type of audio then when I play audio it will be off sync.

As for the distance away from the entertainment center, I am using a 6 foot Toslink, as they are about 5 feet from each other.
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to mastermind278
FWIW, this sounds like an audio driver bug, plain and simple. I do not believe the issue has anything to do with your temperatures, voltages, etc..

I recommend you contact Asus about the issue, as they can reach out to the audio chipset manufacturer and try to get you a fix. They're the only ones who can help you in this case.

I should note when explaining the problem to Asus, you need to be *as crystal clear as possible*. Talk to them like you're talking to a 7 year old. I'm not being insulting either -- you really do need to talk to them like this. Literal step-by-step instructions to reproduce the issue are best.

I speak from experience on this one -- I had to go through this ordeal to report bugs in their Xonar DG drivers, but ended up just saying f-it and scrapped the card. Too many bugs. The hardware = great, the drivers = crap.

I have seen audio/video desync before on systems where one is doing *extreme* amounts of write disk I/O while also recording audio *and* CPU usage is high. For example: capturing a 1920x1200 @ 32-bit desktop at 30fps (while running a game), along with audio (raw 44kHz 16-bit), and writing it to a flat file on the hard disk. Check out what happens. You can hear the audio get out of sync, *and* start to change base frequencies. Changing the capturing application (VirtualDub) to encode the video/audio instead of raw doesn't help either -- it just results in more CPU load. VirtualDub has ways to visually indicate the desync though, so that's how I was able to figure it out. Whee.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

mastermind278
Premium
Clementon, NJ
Well I do think it might be a hardware issue so I will try to speak with Asus later this week. Now that I think about it, when I had the system running OSX I also encountered the same issue (but at that time just figured it was due to some compatibility issue).
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©