Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Re: Oct 23 Apple Event - Live Streaming is back

said by Thinkdiff:

Agreed the resolution isn't impressive, but it's yet another case where you have to chose practicality over specs.

The only resolutions that made sense for the iPad Mini were 1024x768 or 2048x1536.

What makes you think those are the only two resolutions? They could have easily used 1600x1200, its 4:3 and would have scaled down retina capable apps, and scaled up non retina apps...

1600x1200 would probably be close enough PPI to the iPad3/4's retina PPI

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

It doesn't fit with the existing sizes. You either scale up smaller apps making them look worse, or scale down larger apps making everything physically smaller. They went with the more obvious resolution, which takes iPad 2 sized apps and runs them at a size physically similar to the iPhone pre-retina. It makes more sense from a UI and scaling standpoint.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I dunno about you, but non-retina apps look like ass on my iPad3. Scaling argument is BS that it has to be 2x.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by HiVolt:

I dunno about you, but non-retina apps look like ass on my iPad3.

That's why it doesn't make sense to me to go with a display somewhere in the middle and then scale iPad 2 graphics up or iPad 3 graphics down. All the math works out at 1024 or 2048, not in between.