spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Probedude

join:2004-05-09
Ventura, CA

DSL to U-verse, will the transition be smooth?

Have dry loop DSL, Elite speeds, but my 12 month contract just expired so the bill jumped to $48.

Called the retention dept and was offered U-Verse 12Mbps for $29.95/month, "free" hardware but a $48 activation fee so I took it. This is for 'self install'.

Friday the line is going to be provisioned by 8pm.

I hope it's smooth as we're internet junkies AND have two VOIP lines (Ooma and TMobile@Home).

How smooth has the DSL to U-verse transition been for you?
What kind of down time can I expect?

jj358mhz

join:2004-10-06
Berkeley, CA

My experience was crap, although the service is running fine now. Here is my review:
»Review of AT&T U-Verse by jj358mhz

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Probedude

Depending on how your U-Verse service will be provided, and wiring inside your house, may be smooth, may not

Do you know if you are being shipped the Motorola NVG510 (ADSL2+ U-Verse) or 2Wire/Pace 3600 (VDSL2 U-Verse)?

Either flavor of U-Verse works better with a "home run" pair configuration from NID to modem -- basically a straight shot connection from the AT&T Network Interface Device to the Modem jack, with other jacks bypassed/disabled

ADSL2+ is typically more tolerant of a non-home run than VDSL2 is, and sometimes either will work without a home run.

If the self install fails and a technician is needed for wiring work inside the house to get the circuit working, there is a $99 technician visit fee for that work

If you can, try to be home on the "activation" date and meet the tech if/when he/she is dispatched to make sure service is good to the NID

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to Probedude

Was silky smooth for me. They only changed my DSL service to Uverse, my phone service didn't change. They didnt' charge me an install fee. They sent me a new gateway/modem, no charge, with a letter on when to install it. Followed the install directions and was back online within 5 minutes.

The price dropped about $5 between the DSL price and the Uverse price. Setting up my existing router (loaded with TomatoUSB) behind the new AT$T gateway/modem required some additional configuration to my existing router.

Probedude

Ventura, CA
reply to ILpt4U

CSR mentioned the Motorola NVG510 but won't know for sure until Thursday when it arrives.

I already have my 5100b off a home run pair from the NID. Total distance I think is 10' (garage) and from there an ethernet run through the attic to the VOIP routers, so I'm good there.

I chose the self install and don't think they will roll a truck for my install. I've had 'new' DSL at my house a few times already as it was cheaper and easier to get a new install with all those benefits when the 12 months were up than to hope that the retention department would extend my deal. No truck was run the last couple of setups.

Probedude

Ventura, CA
reply to bennor

I thought the new DSL and old DSL are incompatible? Seems you could not have timed the switchover perfectly to only have a 5 min downtime. I hear that sometime U-Verse for some areas is just plain old DSL. Wonder if this is what your upgrade was for.

One thing the CSR said was that I have a new account number. Wonder if I'm considered as 'new' service.

Probedude

Ventura, CA
reply to jj358mhz

Eeek! I did see your review and hope I don't experience those problems! I am a bit worried about doing this on a Friday as I'm sure there won't be much of any help over the weekend if things don't go well.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to Probedude

»www.att.com/eos/unauth/eosLogin?···e=uverse
You have a dry loop and a home run, so you will be golden as long as the order itself or the changeover on the line isn't botched.
The best thing to do is to be prepared for the worst, just in case: backup Internet, because once the DSL is discoed at the CO it can't be magically turned back on while you wait for the Uverse to be ready.

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to Probedude

said by Probedude:

I thought the new DSL and old DSL are incompatible? Seems you could not have timed the switchover perfectly to only have a 5 min downtime. I hear that sometime U-Verse for some areas is just plain old DSL. Wonder if this is what your upgrade was for.

One thing the CSR said was that I have a new account number. Wonder if I'm considered as 'new' service.

I was wrong about the down time when the cut my DSL and activated the Uverse. I checked my notes for the switch over and forgot that I wasn't home at the time and I simply swapped modems when I came back without checking to see if the DSL service was down. Swapping the modems took less than 5 minutes and the Uverse service was active after the 3600HGV went through an update. Later I learned the DSL was cut off roughly six hours before I installed the new gateway (a 2Wire 3600HGV). I posted a thread elsewhere (»Notice stating my AT&T DSL service will become AT&T Uverse) that covered my experiences.

DRNewcomb

join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS
reply to Probedude

If you already have a dry loop DSL running, it should be fine. One thing to understand is that the U-verse RGs are really dumbed down devices intended to serve the 99% and ignore the 1% who may want to do something a bit unusual. (e.g. run a VPN server, pass a ping, etc.)

Mcmurdy1980

join:2012-10-22
Newhall, CA
reply to Probedude

With the self install at 12mbps you need a home run. If you get a 3600 call them up to get it replaced. It's a defective modem. It would be cheaper if you know someone to set up the home run.

martyp

join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA
reply to Probedude

It went pretty smooth. I got the main router up and running in about 5 mins and then had our other router tied back in later on that night

Probedude

Ventura, CA
reply to Probedude

Wife called that at 9AM the internet was down.

Got home at 5:30pm, swapped modems, broadband LED went green after a few minutes. Couldn't do much for the first 10 mins as the NVG510 was doing something (blinking broadband LED).

Went through the signup process and I'm online!

Still have to hook it up with the rest of the house (in the garage with a laptop. Ooma and T-Mobile VOIP box is next.

Speedtest is showing 10.1 Mbps down, 892Kbps up.
Voip test looks suspiciously good, like my dsl did also

0-0.2 ms jitter
0% packet loss
Est MOS score 4.2

Time to hook it up to the rest of the house.

Expand your moderator at work

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to Probedude

Re: DSL to U-verse, will the transition be smooth?

I don't understand why I got such a run around when I tried u-verse. I had dsl and had a jack by my computer for my dsl modem. NO that won't work with U-verse. We will have to rewire everything. And the Cat5 you have is not a good option.
It is cat5 from their box to the wall plate and split to the phone and dsl seperate pairs, but it won't work with u-verse.
Was this bad installers or ?