« all
This is a sub-selection from wow

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to meowmeow

Re: wow

Since Google Wallet works on the desktop, without hardware implements, my statement is at least 'remotely' true.

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

My mistake, it appears we're talking about two different products both called "Google Wallet" - the one you're referring to used to be called Google Checkout and I forgot it had been merged into the Wallet branding.

The Google Wallet I and others are referring to is a phone app VERY similar to ISIS. The biggest technical difference is that ISIS uses a secure token on the SIM card, and Google Wallet uses one built into the phone. Both require a phone with NFC and support for either an ISIS SIM card or a built in "secure element."

Sorry if I came across rude, it wasn't my intention - I just couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I forgot about checkout being rebranded as wallet.

I just used Google Wallet today, at Home Depot and then to grab lunch at McDonald's.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

so my verizon galaxy nexus can't use google wallet?

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

Officially, no. The hardware is there, Verizon blocks the app. I've heard some people have had success installing it from the web at »play.google.com - if that doesn't work, you'll have to search Google. But it CAN be made to work - I saw a guy paying with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus at McDonald's a couple days ago (I know it was Verizon because he sells phone at Costco and I've talked to him a couple times so he said hi in line, nice guy). I shouldn't have said "only works" but rather "only officially works" - most people are suspicious enough, they're not going to hack their phones to get something working on it.