join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: Power non-payment shut-off question

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by fifty nine:

Wthe new smart meter method is better. No need for the utility to waste fuel to deal with deadbeats.

Maybe the poor non-payer is not in fact a deadbeat but a victim of a nation that still has almost an 8 percent unemployment rate.

Each of those are "victims" only of their own laziness.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by chamberc:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by fifty nine:

Wthe new smart meter method is better. No need for the utility to waste fuel to deal with deadbeats.

Maybe the poor non-payer is not in fact a deadbeat but a victim of a nation that still has almost an 8 percent unemployment rate.

Each of those are "victims" only of their own laziness.

Really? Explain that logic so I can understand how someone who gets laid off or suffers a devastating illnes is a victim of their own laziness. You must be a member of the 1 percent club.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by Jack_in_VA:

Really? Explain that logic so I can understand how someone who gets laid off or suffers a devastating illnes is a victim of their own laziness. You must be a member of the 1 percent club.

I can agree with chamberc to some extent. I know people personally who would rather collect an unemployment check than go out and do hard manual labor or do a job they think is demeaning. The 99 weeks of unemployment did that to a lot of people. I'm not saying everyone but I know of quite a few who are waiting for a mythical recovery that will get them back into a job that they had before they lost it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I can agree with chamberc to some extent. I know people personally who would rather collect an unemployment check than go out and do hard manual labor or do a job they think is demeaning. The 99 weeks of unemployment did that to a lot of people. I'm not saying everyone but I know of quite a few who are waiting for a mythical recovery that will get them back into a job that they had before they lost it.

That's an easy answer for someone who still has a job, those with their own business and those like me who are retired. I don't blame someone to collect the unemployment for the 99 weeks. Your have to acknowledge there are no jobs except low paying menial type minimum wage.

Just today DOW Chemical announced the lay-offs of 2500, DuPont 1500. Just where do you think they are going to get any job with the pay and benefits? They aren't.

Would you not want a recovery to get back in a comparable job. You bet your ass you would. Just like the rest of us.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I can agree with you there but sometimes it's not the person's fault but rather the employer. Often times those "demeaning" jobs, even if they do apply for they will get turned down as "over qualified", especially if you've progressed to manager level or higher in a previous job. Granted every employer is different but it's an employers market right now with so many people out there they can afford to be picky most of the time and that leaves able bodied people out in the cold.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by JoelC707:

I can agree with you there but sometimes it's not the person's fault but rather the employer. Often times those "demeaning" jobs, even if they do apply for they will get turned down as "over qualified", especially if you've progressed to manager level or higher in a previous job. Granted every employer is different but it's an employers market right now with so many people out there they can afford to be picky most of the time and that leaves able bodied people out in the cold.

I had a position to fill. It didn't pay what a similar position was paying during the good times. But it paid a good enough amount. I had quite a few applicants, and some of them wanted way more than what the job was offering... and yes, some were unemployed.

I didn't even mind if they took the job only to leave like 6 months to a year afterwards. But they preferred to stay unemployed (and collect unemployment I assume) rather than getting to work.