how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dks7

join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

Pars

I have a question regarding incompletes in nzb's. Sometimes I come up a tad short on the blocks I need to repair all the rars in a certain release. Quickpar works great for the repair, but what if I am short on blocks but want to repair what can be repaired? It seems quickpar will only repair if it has enough blocks to repair every file.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
No Par2 files repair only up to a certain amount of missing blocks. If you are missing 50 blocks, you will need either a 50 block Par2 or several Par2s that add up to 50 blocks. It doesn't matter if you have them missing in multiple files or in just one, 50 blocks is blocks.

Par2s are figured like this: you have a file named Blah.Blah.vol15+16.par2, the "16" is the amount of blocks repairable by this single Par2 file so Blah.Blah.vol07+08.par2, repairs only "8".

The first Par2 file can't repair anything. It is used to help check to see if everything is ok. It is simply named, Blah.Blah.par2.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to dks7
sabnzbd takes care of all of that

dks7

Omak, WA
Ya i switched to SAB and have really been enjoying it. My main question is say I download a tv show, and its 6 blocks short, it would be nice if it would repair what its able to repair minus those 6 blocks. Then I can extract and keep broken files, chances are the show will play fine, but I have not found a way to get a program to do the repair that way, seems an all or nothing sort of thing.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
It does repair.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to dks7
If there is not enough blocks to repair there is no way to complete the repair. It is impossible.

newster

join:2011-09-26
reply to dks7
How old are these files? what newsgroup provider do you have? and does your newsreader use an additional backup server to catch whatever the first server misses?

Do you use SABnzbd's new pre-download completion checking feature, or other completion checking app?

Are these incompletes distributed randomly or is it always the first segment of every file in the archive?

dks7

Omak, WA
Some files can be 3-4 years old. I use supernews. I have no backup server. I use sab but have never enabled the pre-download checker, figured it would slow things down massively as some other programs have that feature and it takes forever for the download to start. As for how their distributed, i don't know, I am just talking in general here, various rars are incomplete, I was hoping to find a way to repair as many rars as possible even if repairing all the rars is not possible because I do not have enough repair blocks.

newster

join:2011-09-26
reply to dks7
With files that old, the free servers are not going to help, so your best option might be to pick up a block account from Blocknews.net and see if that gets anything that Supernews didn't have.

You can use Quickpar to see which rars have the most missing segments, and then do a completion check or just download those rars a second time using Blocknews or Supernews+Blocknews. That should save you the time of having to download the entire file all over again.

Then run Quickpar again until your par blocks are enough to fix the file.

Then keep Blocknews as a permanent backup server in SABnzbd and that should greatly improve completion rates in the future.

sandman_1

reply to dks7
said by dks7:

... I was hoping to find a way to repair as many rars as possible even if repairing all the rars is not possible because I do not have enough repair blocks.

You may still be able to use the file if there isn't much damage. You can try extracting the rars with the option to keep broken files. However doing a full repair would be impossible without the par2 blocks needed.

Another thing, Supernews resells Giganews. Giganews are known to remove just enough from a file to make it unrepairable through par2 files when it comes to DMCA take downs. Something to keep in mind...

dks7

Omak, WA
I aminly download old movies and old tv shows, not stuff really DMCA worthy. But ya it would be nice if quickpar or w/e would scan all the rars and go "OK" we don't have enough blocks to repair everything but I can repair most of it, and do so. Then when I extract and elect to keep broken files it actually works, because often times some rars are so damaged it will just plain error out and refuse to extract anything.

ramakowski

join:2007-02-17

3 edits
Reply to the post and politely request the number of extra Pars needed to complete repairing the archive. The groups you might use, especially those for old movies and series, may have subscribers that often read and respond to requests. It may take a few days, and you probably won't get Pars for three years passed posts, but you might get a full repost. For some posts you can use torrents to repair / finish the download. You might also check the archive for recovery data and repair with the associated program. Few archives have recovery data, but some old-timers still include it.
You can try different clients and still fail, because the data isn't there, or you can use groups to their potential.

jarrycanada

join:2004-12-02
reply to dks7
anyone know anything about .SRR files, anyone ever use them?

I have no clue what these are.

sandman_1