Search similar:

uniqs
shurwd
join:2005-11-13
Kenosha, WI

shurwd

[TWC] Packet Loss

Initial setup information.
TWC SB4100 cable modem. I have Business class 15down 2up.
Watchguard XTM21W
Dell Powerconnect Gb Switch

About a month ago I was having issues with connection loss. At first I thought it was my switch, it is a little older so I thought something might be going. Removed the switch and for a little while everything seemed fine. Then it lost connection again so I started removing variables, Firewall, cables and such and finally determined that it was the modem. Call TWC and they agree and replace it with a new Motorola (don't know model off the top of my head).
What it turned out to be was that any download over 250MB froze the modem, don't know why but if the data was small I had no issues.

Fast forward a few weeks. Start playing BF3 online, PS3, and start to notice some insane lag. Thought it was the game, ran speed tests and everything looked good on my end. It continues for a week and I start to wonder again if it is something on my end. Remove the switch again, no that isn't it. Plug directly in to the modem and still have issues. Call support again and they cannot see anything. I ran some quality tests and see a lot of packet loss. Call support again and they still don't see anything. After 2 days of troubleshooting with their support tier 3 support calls me Sunday morning and says it is because I don't have the modem in bridge mode. Well it was originally but all of the troubleshooting, removing the firewall and replacing the firewall with a Netgear R6300 (nice by the way) and continue to see issues. Finally I get a tier 3 tech on the phone and tell him to start watching my modem and I start playing BF3. 3%, 5% yep I am starting to see the packet loss. So he starts looking at some logs and tells me my modem has not locked on to a frequency and has changed 398 times over the last 24 hours.

So they setup a time for a tech to come out and check my modem and line. The tech calls the next day and notifies me that it is not my modem or line; that the entire node is having issues and has been for over a month according to the logs he is looking at and put in a ticket to the engineering group.

Don't get me wrong, there are some dam good techs out there, but how does something like this not get noticed? Why does it take a user to inform them that they are having issues, still not see anything then finally after how long someone goes, oh look we are having a system wide issue? He even went as far as to say it probably wasn't even my original modem that was the issue.

So all this time this issue has been there and NO ONE from TWC noticed it? I cannot believe something can go this long and not be noticed. I could see if it was noticed and something needed to be replaced at some expense, I get that. BUT NOT EVEN NOTICED? COME ON!

At least I got a new Gb switch and new router out of it. I spent the money but it gave me the excuse.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

a Motorola SB 4100 ??? Really? Those haven't been made in several years, it's a DOCSIS 1.1 modem.

Please check the model again.

Cle27
@rr.com

Cle27 to shurwd

Anon

to shurwd
From what I've been told, TWC won't notice any problems unless a lot, and I mean A LOT of customers call about having the same problems. Once a lot of people call in, then they put up the Telephone Message to let people know about the issues, and update the Network Status Page for your area. Thing is though, some people won't have the same problem or might not have an issue at all until some time later.

I had a similar Node issue last year and it took nearly 2 weeks for them to notice it and fix it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"From what I've been told, TWC won't notice any problems unless a lot, and I mean A LOT of customers call about having the same problems"

Don't always believe what you have been told. I can probably figure out an issue from three calls from the same node involving a truck roll. I do it daily.

Hob
shurwd
join:2005-11-13
Kenosha, WI

shurwd to DocDrew

to DocDrew
@Drew That is what I had, trust me. I just recieved a newer modem last month.

@Hob Like I said I know there are some really good techs out there and I can understand not noticing and intermittent issue but this apparently isn't intermittent. So how does it go that long without being noticed? I have important logs emailed to me on a weekly basis and any alerts emailed to me immediately. I am one IT person for 150. How does TWC have alerts from their equipment sent?

If I missed something like that in our system I would surely be looking for another job.

vsj624
join:2004-03-20
Kenosha, WI

vsj624 to shurwd

to shurwd
Having problems myself losing sync and TWC has no clue they wanted to blame my router lol....i'm in Kenosha too by the BoatHouse.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to shurwd

Premium Member

to shurwd
said by shurwd See Profile@Hob Like I said I know there are some really good techs out there and I can understand not noticing and intermittent issue but this apparently isn't intermittent. So how does it go that long without being noticed? I have important logs emailed to me on a weekly basis and any alerts emailed to me immediately. I am one IT person for 150. How does TWC have alerts from their equipment sent?

If I missed something like that in our system I would surely be looking for another job.
[/BQUOTE :

There is a lot of difference between supporting 150 people and 100's of thousands of people.

Your weekly logs clearly would not work, 24/7 monitoring without a single point of contact is clearly where its at.
In my experience intermittent issues are in most cases individual issues .

Hob