There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Rajarshi

Re: Sendmail Error Handling

said by Rajarshi:

I am expert of php and do not understand the page you link. SendMail returns advanced status codes that the dotnet is not capable to understand.

You sure don't seem like much of an expert if you can't understand a straightforward list of the SMTP status codes ASP.NET can recognize...or provide this list of "advanced status codes" you mention to establish if there is something I am missing.

Also, will you kindly describe the processing sendmail performs when a message is going to multiple recipients, with some domains having more than one recipient? How are the remote server connections handled and what happens if any one of those servers rejects one address?
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Rajarshi

join:2012-10-26
New York, NY

I am most expert. I have told you that you must not use the dotnet for this to avoid failure.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

said by Rajarshi:

I am most expert. I have told you that you must not use the dotnet for this to avoid failure.

You keep saying that but you fail to provide anything to back up your statements. What "advanced codes" are you talking about? Why would ASP.NET be any different than php beyond semantics? And please do answer my question about how sendmail is actually handling addresses and remote system responses. Otherwise, just hold your tongue.

BTW, if anyone else can actually provide useful info, by all means do.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Rajarshi

New York, NY

said by DC DSL:

You keep saying that but you fail to provide anything to back up your statements. What "advanced codes" are you talking about? Why would ASP.NET be any different than php beyond semantics? And please do answer my question about how sendmail is actually handling addresses and remote system responses. Otherwise, just hold your tongue.

I have told you problem is you use the dotnet. You are not expert because you use it and cannot obtain desired result. I tell you as most expert of development to use php.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

said by Rajarshi:

said by DC DSL:

I have told you problem is you use the dotnet. You are not expert because you use it and cannot obtain desired result. I tell you as most expert of development to use php.

Do me and everyone else here a favor and just stop. I don't care what you think of ASP.NET and it is NOT your place to make such critiques. As I recall, you have all of 3 years of development experience...that is nowhere near enough to be touting yourself as some kind of supreme deity. If you can provide actual information that helps someone resolve a problem, great. Otherwise, if all you're going to do is be a broken record repeating the same thing over and over, DO NOT click the reply button.
--

Rajarshi

New York, NY

You are not polite and offense me. I have been most helpful by advice you not use the dotnet. How do you not understand my assistance? My advice is expert to you so you should accept it.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

1 recommendation

Rajarshi

New York, NY

Sir please explain why you reply this to me. Mr. DC is not understanding and does not try my advise.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

1 recommendation

Because no one in IT can be this stupid. You've shown in other posts of yours that you do not reflect the skill set that is needed to resolve complex problems in the IT world. And with that, you've become hostile after you've asked a question to highly regarded members of this forum when they pointed you in the direction of solving your IT problem when, in your 'expert' IT knowledge base, wouldn't help.

There is a village out there... and they are looking.

odnc
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Richmond, VA
reply to DC DSL

Do you have access to sendmails log file?

One thought: large bcc lists may cause issues on the receiving server.
Another: have you sanitised your mail list? Improperly constructed addresses are sure to cause problems.
--
This country needs an enema.

Expand your moderator at work

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
reply to odnc

Re: Sendmail Error Handling

I get that from time to time. Some assistant puts "Home:blah@blah.net Work:derp@herp.com" in the E-mail1 field (The 20 year old DB we have doesn't have a way to santize inputs.) and then are shocked when I come back to them again to fix their stuff.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to DC DSL

You're getting hardcore trolled and it's really funny from an outside perspective and obviously less fun(ny) for you.

Anyway, to the issue at hand: is there any way for you to get access to the sendmail error logs?

In looking up how sendmail works... I found this:

quote:
2.3.1. Queue Groups and Queue Directories
There are one or more mail queues. Each mail queue belongs to a queue group. There is always a default queue group that is called ‘‘‘mqueue’’ (which is where messages go by default unless otherwise specified). The directory or directories which comprise the default queue group are specified by the QueueDirectory option. There are zero or more additional named queue groups declared using the Q command in the configuration file.
By default, a queued message is placed in the queue group associated with the first recipient in the recipient list. A recipient address is mapped to a queue group as follows. First, if there is a ruleset called ‘‘queuegroup’’, and if this ruleset maps the address to a queue group name, then that queue group is chosen. That is, the argument for the ruleset is the recipient address and the result should be $# followed by the name of a queue group. Otherwise, if the mailer associated with the address specifies a queue group, then that queue group is chosen. Otherwise, the default queue group is chosen.
A message with multiple recipients will be split if different queue groups are chosen by the mapping of recipients to queue groups.
When a message is placed in a queue group, and the queue group has more than one queue, a queue is selected randomly.
If a message with multiple recipients is placed into a queue group with the ’’r’ option (maximum number of recipients per message) set to a positive value N, and if there are more than N recipients in the message, then the message will be split into multiple messages, each of which have at most N recipients.
Notice: if multiple queue groups are used, do not move queue files around, e.g., into a different queue directory. This may have weird effects and can cause mail not to be delivered. Queue files and directories should be treated as opaque and should not be manipulated directly.
2.3.2. Queue Runs
sendmail has two different ways to process the queue(s). The first one is to start queue runners after certain intervals (‘‘‘‘normal’’’’ queue runners), the second one is to keep queue runner processes around (‘‘‘‘persistent’’’’ queue runners). How to select either of these types is discussed in the appendix ‘‘‘‘COMMAND LINE FLAGS’’’’. Persistent queue runners have the advantage that no new processes need to be spawned at certain intervals; they just sleep for a specified time after they finished a queue run. Another advantage of persistent queue runners is that only one process belonging to a workgroup (a workgroup is a set of queue groups) collects the data for a queue run and then multiple queue runner may go ahead using that data. This can significantly reduce the disk I/O necessary to read the queue files compared to starting multiple queue runners directly. Their disadvantage is that a new queue run is only started after all queue runners belonging to a group finished their tasks. In case one of the queue runners tries delivery to a slow recipient site at the end of a queue run, the next queue run may be substantially delayed.[/b]
Hopefully that helps solidify how sendmail is designed so you can work around it.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Rajarshi

New York, NY

Why do you waste time? Problem is the dotnet must not be used.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

2 recommendations

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA
reply to Rajarshi

said by Rajarshi:

Your advise is as useful as saying, "You must not use blue". Why? Not just it doesn't handle "Advanced codes". What advanced codes? If you know the issue, you can code around it.You can't do anything with a vague answer. Besides, just because you are incapable of getting it to work doesn't mean someone with more skill can't.

Rajarshi

New York, NY

said by stormbow:

said by Rajarshi:

Your advise is as useful as saying, "You must not use blue". Why? Not just it doesn't handle "Advanced codes". What advanced codes? If you know the issue, you can code around it.You can't do anything with a vague answer. Besides, just because you are incapable of getting it to work doesn't mean someone with more skill can't.

I do not have problem because I do not use the dotnet. Send Mail is not for the Microsoft platform. That is the confirmed problem.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW