Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2

Re: Today's Event Poll

I'm frankly laughing rather hard at the expense of iPad 3 owners at the moment. It dosen't surprise me that Apple pulled such a stunt, after all they did something similar with the iPhone 4 and 4S. It seems like Apple's marketing goal is to release the same device 4 times before a major re-design, with each iteration having incremental improvements over the previous generation.

The changes and updates to the Mac Mini and iMac were a long time coming, although it's disappointing to see yet another cycle without updates to the Mac Pro (they might as well just kill it off now).

As far as the Macbook Pro goes, same story as the last refresh with the Air; newer processor and USB3 were the only major changes over the previous generation. At least Apple didn't pull the Superdrive like they did with the Retina-display version of the MBP.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Huh? The MBPr 13-in doesn't have an optical drive.

The MBP 13-in and 15-in w/ optical drive is still available.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

What? That's what I said.

Thinking about buying the Mac Mini to run Citrix Xenserver + Xendesktop on for a client who needs a quasi-portable RDP solution.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Different units...plus they still need a low cost MBP.

Once LED prices come down, MBP(R) will be the new MacBook Pro.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I know, that's what I was pointing out. sk1939 See Profile's comment didn't make any sense (to me, at least) because they didn't "pull" the superdrive on the 15" MBP either. They just added a new category of MBP that does not have superdrives.

I assume you mean LCD prices? I think it'll be 2 years until the MacBook Pro (non-R) is phased out in the 13" form factor. But that may be conservative.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

I assume you mean LCD prices? I think it'll be 2 years until the MacBook Pro (non-R) is phased out in the 13" form factor. But that may be conservative.

Right, I meant LED backlite LCD. That said, two years they might start using OLED displays.

Gotta hand it to them, other than their iOS6 screw-up, their moving a long as Jobs would have.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

The new iMac and the iPad Mini bring nothing new to the table, I have no idea why you would want either other than to have the latest and greatest Apple product. You can't even use old accessories with the Mini unless you buy the Lightning to 30Pin adapter.
sk1939

sk1939 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

I know, that's what I was pointing out. sk1939 See Profile's comment didn't make any sense (to me, at least) because they didn't "pull" the superdrive on the 15" MBP either. They just added a new category of MBP that does not have superdrives.

That's the point, when the current Macbook is phased out none of Apple's notebooks will have optical drives built in. Additionally they nixed it from the Mac Mini and from the new iMac (which they should have made more powerful, not thinner, in addition to being overpriced). Some of us still use those on a regular basis, especially for restore options.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Then they have a beautiful $79 SuperDrive to sell you. I'd bet the majority of users no longer use DVDs regularly.

I agree the iMac update doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a necessity standpoint. I don't think anybody was demanding thinner iMacs.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I would have rather kept the thicker size and kept more user upgradable features

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Then they have a beautiful $79 SuperDrive to sell you. I'd bet the majority of users no longer use DVDs regularly.

I agree the iMac update doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a necessity standpoint. I don't think anybody was demanding thinner iMacs.

I've used my Super drive like twice this year, one of those times was using it just to be using it.
I don't think anyone even thought about a thinner iMac, but I can guaranty they sell millions because it is.