Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jterhune

join:2012-10-23
Hopkinton, RI

Leased Line between two buildings in the same neighborhood

Hello!

This isn't exactly a DSL troubleshooting question per se, it is more of a "What should I ask AT&T for" question.

I'm doing some consulting for a company that has two offices located on the same street, approximately 1200 feet away.

Both buildings terminate into the same neighborhood cross connect cabinet.

I would like to have some lines cross connected between the two buildings so I can join their networks via VDSL extenders as well as connect their PBXs.

Is this something we could pay AT&T for? Who should I talk to, and what should I ask for? I can't imagine this being terribly expensive, as it would be a single local connection of copper lines already in place and not touch the CO at all.

Anyone dealt with something similar?

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
I would look in to a in-house wireless solution, two point-to-point antenna's on the roof of each office. That way, you will only need to purchase the equipment - which will run you several thousand dollars. But besides probably having to pay the city a little bit for a license/permit (you would be using airspace, and the city CAN revoke the permit if your setup interferes with anything - in theory) you won't have a monthly cost.

Speeds run from 54 Mbps (802.11g with extenders) to several 100 Mbps.

See here for some info: »www.gnswireless.com/wireless_bridge_kits.htm

You are very likely to see complete return of investment vs. paying AT&T for a leased line in the first year.

Only problem might be line of sight.... a higher building in between means this is not an option.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

giraffedata

join:2009-07-11
San Jose, CA
reply to jterhune
From what I hear, things that don't go through the CO are the most expensive things you can buy - expensive enough that AT&T doesn't even bother to offer it on a small scale like this.

AT&T's economics are based on being able to make the change in software in the computer at the CO, from a network control center far away, or failing that at least being able to do it with a technician at the CO. If a technician has to go to the neighborhood cross connection cabinet (to install, and to correct the mistakes that would inevitably get made), that reaches into the impractical range.