TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to chinesedevil

Premium Member

to chinesedevil

Re: IPTV?

We're interested in doing it but we currently have no such plans. I looked into it extensively a couple years ago and found it problematic for a number of reasons. I felt like it was all more of a headache than anything.

Right now our plans are simply to do what we're already doing, but better. Seems that's what people want from us so I'm inclined to oblige.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by TSI Marc:

Right now our plans are simply to do what we're already doing, but better. Seems that's what people want from us so I'm inclined to oblige.

Glad you accepted that and noticed!
Appreciate it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Marc

MVM

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We're interested in doing it but we currently have no such plans. I looked into it extensively a couple years ago and found it problematic for a number of reasons. I felt like it was all more of a headache than anything.

What about solutions such as VMedia which are intended to basically let you wholesale IPTV? The idea is that they provide all the IPTV stuff, and you provide the physical network the CRTC requires to reach customers (the whole IPTV BDU requirement that it can't leave your network thing)?

I ask because there's a factor beyond just the business proposition here, in that TekSavvy customers are barred from getting IPTV service unless it comes through TekSavvy. We're forbidden to subscribe to FibeTV, Zazeen IPTV, or Colba IPTV (the three IPTV services widely available at the moment, I believe).

Basically, for somebody like me who can't get satellite, Videotron has a complete monopoly on television service so long as I remain a TekSavvy customer, so the inability to get IPTV is an incentive to switch away from TSI.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

That's all true. I'd love to find something that works for us. I'm not sure that VMedia is it.

I guess I feel that getting into TV just to do the same as what's already out there that everybody seemingly is moving away from.. Just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not convinced that there's even a business there after everybody else takes their cut.

Then you have Netflix, Apple TV, Boxee, Xbox, PS more and more content is available online now and Satelite service from Shaw and BEV is also available everywhere.

I'm also happy to let somebody else blow their brains out on it first, iron out all the kinks, get a better glimpse of what the future has in store since this is changing so rapidly. The Bell-Astral stuff working its way through still also... Let alone that usage rates, if they stay the way they are completely kills any of this anyway. Our usage on DSL keeps going up and up and up even though our growth on DSL is fairly flat. We're about to launch Cogeco before the year is over and frankly, I don't know why since we'll probably loose money on any signups. It's a pure bet that CRTC will come to their senses on the UBB stuff that's playing out still like 5 years after it started....

I guess you could say I've been around the block long enough to know to choose my battles carefully. To me the UBB battle isn't over yet. It's very real and I don't think people have fully realized just how precarious a situation we're all in at the moment. Combine that with the fact that we spent so many resources a few years back that it really distracted us from what we do and I just won't be caught doing the same thing again.

Even with all of that though, would I love doing it? Hell yeah! But it has to be right and I don't think it is yet.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
You'll be the judge of that!
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

You never know!
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

That's all true. I'd love to find something that works for us. I'm not sure that VMedia is it.

I guess I feel that getting into TV just to do the same as what's already out there that everybody seemingly is moving away from.. Just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not convinced that there's even a business there after everybody else takes their cut.

Then you have Netflix, Apple TV, Boxee, Xbox, PS more and more content is available online now and Satelite service from Shaw and BEV is also available everywhere.

I'm also happy to let somebody else blow their brains out on it first, iron out all the kinks, get a better glimpse of what the future has in store since this is changing so rapidly. The Bell-Astral stuff working its way through still also... Let alone that usage rates, if they stay the way they are completely kills any of this anyway. Our usage on DSL keeps going up and up and up even though our growth on DSL is fairly flat. We're about to launch Cogeco before the year is over and frankly, I don't know why since we'll probably loose money on any signups. It's a pure bet that CRTC will come to their senses on the UBB stuff that's playing out still like 5 years after it started....

I guess you could say I've been around the block long enough to know to choose my battles carefully. To me the UBB battle isn't over yet. It's very real and I don't think people have fully realized just how precarious a situation we're all in at the moment. Combine that with the fact that we spent so many resources a few years back that it really distracted us from what we do and I just won't be caught doing the same thing again.

Even with all of that though, would I love doing it? Hell yeah! But it has to be right and I don't think it is yet.

well you might attract some animators like myself into adding content others DO NOT have.... one aspect you prolly note that a in canada from canucks might be attractive....

It actually is far more appealing for indies to start out with ya and build up then it would be to go on there own and its one way artists might get a better rate of compensation while not worrying as much about getting screwed by a big label....i bet you could get some serious talent rolling in no time....and with a pool around ya as a creator it might be easier to get "other" projects done that might otherwise take longer....just a two cents as i noticed this.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'd be all for that.. Sounds interesting for sure. That doesn't sound like an easy thing to get going though. We'll keep doing our homework though and if we see opportunities that are a good fit for us you can be sure we'll play our part.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by Guspaz:

Basically, for somebody like me who can't get satellite, Videotron has a complete monopoly on television service so long as I remain a TekSavvy customer, so the inability to get IPTV is an incentive to switch away from TSI.

said by TSI Marc:

Netflix and these other services killed blockbuster/brick and mortar stores, but TV is a service, with a programming schedule and live shows, its something entirely different.

And if we always have the CRTC on our back were going to have this TV idea anyways, because you cant just sell channels online, it needs to be tied down into this service, area by area, locally.

Guspaz wants it and you made it clear youre not selling it. ok.

but dont go saying satellite is available everywhere, some people live in condos that are not allowed, apartments that point in the wrong direction, or a house thats blocked by a neighboring high rise or even a tall tree, or its raining or its snowing and you cant get signal. There. lots of reasons. but i find it very odd that you would ignore the well respected poster before you who just said he cant get satellite.

not to mention that the big boys are bundling up deals and stealing your customers because you dont sell it.....

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Ever thought of talking to Netflix to get a price discount for Teksavvy customers by including Netflix with your internet plans? Having only the highest tiers including Netflix like 28/1 300Gb w/Netflix for $50 and 28/1 unlimited w/Netflix for $65. It might encourage uses onto the higher tiers to get Netflix at a discounted price.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

I agree with the netflix idea. I know they are always looking for more promotion and opportunities so some kind of partnership or discount deal might be attractive for both companies.

I tend to agree with you Marc, the TV system may not survive much longer and so stepping in with both feet in a muddy pool might not be the best option.

Not to say that Netflix couldn't fold and someone else could be the next big internet content company but I don't see Bell, Rogers or any TV provider sticking out in the long run.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

the cerberus

TV cant change until the CRTC lets it. the system will survive because the CRTC protects it. all this talk of "muddy pool" business is a wash because of that.

we cant just watch all the north american providers with american channels, and american shows. the crtc demands we are locked down to the providers in our country, area by area locally. the market options for TV are slim. canadian satellite or local cable. and now how they are handling IPTV is the same, area by area locked down locally to your network.

i think most people dont want to give cable companies $ but still want tv. and satellite isnt always an option. you have to mount a physical dish to your house, this discourages people and isnt always an option.
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I think this is a smart and practical decision. Teksavvy has grown very rapidly in the last few years and although this might have been necessary, continuing to grow too fast without resolving the problems that the recent changes have brought could lead to disaster.

I haven't heard much about the UBB issue lately. Will there be a CRTC ruling about this in the near future?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

UBB is still alive and kicking.. The transparency decision was part of it.. There have been a number of files opened up as a result of the November 2011 decision.. It's all about the costing of it now.. We won the format part last November but they butchered the costs.. Now we're haggling over those..

As it is right now, if nothing changes it will be impossible for anybody to do anything worth while over the Internet within a year or two. Already you see that none of the independents are embracing the highest speeds available when you would think that that's were we'd all be... It's because with the higher speeds you end up using more throughput.. So at peak time of day, at around 10 or 11 PM.. Everybody is online and usage goes through the roof and so does our bills from the incumbents. As an example, on DSL, if you have anything higher then 6meg we're likely loosing money on you. We're about to launch in Cogeco territory where usage is even more expensive, and I expect to loose money on most of those signups, especially if switching away from a service that's making us a bit of money and going there, its a double whammy... I'm banking on a favorable decision on the remaining CRTC files that are open on this.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

said by TSI Marc:

As an example, on DSL, if you have anything higher then 6meg we're likely loosing money on you.

Marc, I am on 25/7/300. I rarely exceed 150gb/month; usually less than 100gb/month. I don't stream anything. What I do download I often have the option to schedule between 2 and 8 am. I often choose to do this in the hope that doing so will help out at your end. I realize that my individual efforts are insignificant, but if more people chose to do this where possible might it have a positive effect?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

That helps huge! Thank you for doing that.. It definately makes a big difference.

It all boils down to how much of your full connection are you using between 9pm and midnight... The CRTC essentially took numbers that basically treated all hours of the day as though they cost the same as at peak added them all up and gave us that rate. It's way inflated and in particular it doesn't account for the fact that it grows over time just because people are using more and more all the time... So now we're trying to monitor every bit as though its a scarce resource even though its not even a resource at all.. It's a transmission. It's the equivalent of you saying a word to somebody and then saying that each word is precious because you only have so many of them. There's a cost for people's time but its not per word!

Ideally devices should automatically download stuff off peak where it makes sense but people shouldn't have to ration their use at times where they need or want to use it... If there are more efficient ways to send data.. We should try to do that but if somebody wants to watch a movie at 9pm at night... They should be able to do that.. If the person knows that tomorrow they're going to want to watch that movie and they figure why not schedule it for then.. The device should be smart enough to download it off peak... Just be tech savvy about it...

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Uh Marc, have you seen this link..??
»www.zazeen.com/isp-partn ··· hip.html
"Want to expand your services and increase your revenue to compete with the Big Guys? Our Internet Service Provider partnership allows IPS's of all sizes to provide Zazeen TV to their current customer base. Simply Interconnect with us at any of our Data Center locations to offer Zazeen TV. Please email ISP@zazeen.ca and one our our representatives will contact you shortly with more information regarding our ISP partnership program".

Perhaps it's a ridiculous suggestion...or perhaps not. Might be at least worth sending an email or two....

torobull123
join:2009-06-20

torobull123 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I'd be very interested in IPTV if it provided the same live channels which are offered in Rogers and Bell, at very competitive competitive pricing. Like $40/month for something similar to a Rogers VIP package (approx $100/month)

Currently the pricing for TV in Canada is insane, for the crappy content provided. Plus they have a strict 1 sub - 1 device policy which is insane, plus rental fees.

Also TV providers only provided packages, while I'd like the option to pick and choose the live channel that I want.

I don't plan on paying $100 a month, just to watch the Comedy Channel, A&E, History Channel & OLN.

rosenqui
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

rosenqui

Premium Member

There's a discussion about Zazeen's offering in the Canadian Broadband forum that goes into some detail about what you do/don't get from Zazeen: »zazeen / acanac iptv going live soon - website updated

Keep in mind that they're just getting off the ground; things will no doubt change over time, hopefully for the benefit of us consumers.

I did a quick roundup of the major TV players in Ontario vs. Zazeen and posted the details in this article: Zazeen - shaking up the Canadian TV landscape

torobull123
join:2009-06-20

1 edit

torobull123

I have to say that zazeen has all the basics plus a VERY generous line up of specialty channels for at $40/month.

Assuming it has all the listed channels on their site provided in their basic package, they would have the best TV deal in Ontario.... for the money.

They still have room to grow, missing A&E, OLN, Spike, BET.

Never the less, most bang for buck.

But I still don't like the fact that you have to buy hardware, to hook up to your prerequisite internet connection.

Let me run this service on pc, android, xbox 360, ps3 app. For free under the sub.

No extra non-sense costs.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

said by torobull123:

Let me run this service on pc, android, xbox 360, ps3 app. For free under the sub.

Hopefully that will come in time, they need to take baby steps to get it right for now.

I'm sure their content licensing costs are super high as it is. It's possible their licensing contracts only include set-top-boxes. Anything beyond that will no doubt have other assorted fees.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

said by camelot:

said by torobull123:

Hopefully that will come in time, they need to take baby steps to get it right for now.

I'm sure their content licensing costs are super high as it is. It's possible their licensing contracts only include set-top-boxes. Anything beyond that will no doubt have other assorted fees.

perhaps like a XBMC setup where you can install it on your pc , your mobile or whatever and pick n choose ....