ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: [Speed] Comcast Business Class Speed Upgraded in California

I will have to pull my contract and check it.

This is the package that was on my bill that I agreed to:

Ultra Internet Service 08/05 - 09/04 99.95
Includes PowerBoost

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

I will have to pull my contract and check it.

This is the package that was on my bill that I agreed to:

Ultra Internet Service 08/05 - 09/04 99.95
Includes PowerBoost

How your service is described on the bill is not your contract.

»business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans

And if you look at the Business Class marketing site (and your contract), you will see that the name of the second tier business class service is "Preferred", not "Ultra"; the "Ultra" name is a residential class service (which should provide a clue that what your bill calls your service is irrelevant). FWIW, the wording on my bill is "Internet Service Performance" instead of the proper name of "Starter" (and Business Class is mentioned nowhere on the bill).

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Have to admit after going back over the actual contract, I do not see it mentioned.

I will ask a question for anyone out there though. Which document is the ETF described in? I just went through the AUP, Terms and conditions, and privacy policy and cannot find it. It is also not listed on my contract.

Also, does anyone know how their transfer policy works. I had an initial two year agreement in WV that rolled over last December. This contract was executed as a transfer, have the disconnect for the old location which shows as a transfer, so I am wonder if the ETF even applies at this point.

Here is the link to the terms that were in effect when I signed the agreement here:

»business.comcast.com/doc ··· sfvrsn=0

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Have to admit after going back over the actual contract, I do not see it mentioned.

I will ask a question for anyone out there though. Which document is the ETF described in? I just went through the AUP, Terms and conditions, and privacy policy and cannot find it. It is also not listed on my contract.

Also, does anyone know how their transfer policy works. I had an initial two year agreement in WV that rolled over last December. This contract was executed as a transfer, have the disconnect for the old location which shows as a transfer, so I am wonder if the ETF even applies at this point.

Here is the link to the terms that were in effect when I signed the agreement here:

»business.comcast.com/doc ··· sfvrsn=0

The excerpts below are in the document that you referenced:
said by Comcast :
5.1 Termination for Convenience. Notwithstanding any
other term or provision in this Agreement, Customer shall have
the right to terminate a Service Order, or this Agreement in
whole or part, at any time during the Service Term upon sixty
(60) days prior notice to Comcast, and subject to payment to
Comcast of all outstanding amounts due for the Services, any
and all applicable Termination Charges, and the return of any
and all Comcast Equipment.

Termination Charges: Charges that may be imposed by
Comcast if, prior to the end of the applicable Service Term (a)
Comcast terminates Services for cause or (b) Customer
terminates Services without cause. Termination Charges with
respect to each terminated Service Order shall equal, in addition
to all amounts payable by Customer in accordance with Section
5.3, seventy-five percent (75%) of the remaining monthly fees
that would have been payable by Customer under the Service
Order if the Services described in the Service Order had been
provided until the end of the Service Term. In the event the
Agreement is terminated as herein described during the initial
Service Term, Termination Charges shall also include one
hundred percent (100%) of any amount paid by Comcast in
connection with Custom Installation, as that term is defined in
Section 2.7, for the Services provided by Comcast under the
Service Order

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Weird, I searched on the word "termination" and could not find it. Thanks for the leg work.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Weird, I searched on the word "termination" and could not find it. Thanks for the leg work.

Actually, I did the leg work for myself, not for you. I find that it is usually quite helpful to read the contract, TOS, AUP, etc before signing up for a service, rather than afterward. I also never pay any attention to anything that a salesperson tells me; their job security requires them to lie (and even the occasional salesperson who doesn't outright lie, most often hasn't a clue as to what they are actually selling).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
ropeguru See Profile - since you said you're not seeing the erratic speeds after PB ends, would you mind collecting some data? There is a wireshark version for windows if you're not on a mac/linux/bsd box. Would you mind generating a pcap trace as I've done so I can look at it?

I can help you find a local mirror so we're comparing apples to apples for the test.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by pflog:

ropeguru See Profile - since you said you're not seeing the erratic speeds after PB ends, would you mind collecting some data? There is a wireshark version for windows if you're not on a mac/linux/bsd box. Would you mind generating a pcap trace as I've done so I can look at it?

I can help you find a local mirror so we're comparing apples to apples for the test.

I'd be happy to as well (via linux) for 15/3 speeds

Edit: just tell me what to do to recreate your scenario

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnInSJ:

said by pflog:

Thanks appreciate it! I've been doing the following:

as root: tcpdump -i em0 -w speed.pcap host 204.152.184.73
as user: wget »ftp://freebsd.isc.org/pub/Free ··· vefs.iso

Then I open up speed.pcap in wireshark, then click the Statistics menu and then IO graph (thanks SpaethCo See Profile for the info on IO graph, it's much better than the tcp throughput graph).

From there, to get those 3 10s groups of images, I set:

X axis tick interval: 0.01s
X axis pixels per tick: 1
Y axis units: Bytes/tick

Then you can scroll left/right to see a zoomed in view of the traffic. In my cast right around 23.5 seconds in, speeds fall off then go into their sawtooth pattern. Your duration of PB may vary of course

Thanks for doing this!

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I will do it for you on Saturday. My computer has been taken over by the zombie wife hand braking Halloween movies.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ropeguru:

I will do it for you on Saturday. My computer has been taken over by the zombie wife hand braking Halloween movies.

haha no worries, thanks!

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Click for full size
during speedboost
Click for full size
after speedboost
Mine looks pretty awesome. ~20 seconds of speedboost, then it drops down and is solid.

Edit: test run at ~7am Saturday 10/27 - network was quiet, everyone else still sleeping

Host machine: Linux schettino.us 2.6.32-42-generic-pae #95-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 25 16:13:09 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

Modem: SMCD3 (uptime is 9 days, so last reboot was 18th)

Plan is "Stater" with 5 static IPs.
said by pflog:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by pflog:

Thanks appreciate it! I've been doing the following:

as root: tcpdump -i em0 -w speed.pcap host 204.152.184.73
as user: wget »ftp://freebsd.isc.org/pub/Free ··· vefs.iso

Then I open up speed.pcap in wireshark, then click the Statistics menu and then IO graph (thanks SpaethCo See Profile for the info on IO graph, it's much better than the tcp throughput graph).

From there, to get those 3 10s groups of images, I set:

X axis tick interval: 0.01s
X axis pixels per tick: 1
Y axis units: Bytes/tick

Then you can scroll left/right to see a zoomed in view of the traffic. In my cast right around 23.5 seconds in, speeds fall off then go into their sawtooth pattern. Your duration of PB may vary of course

Thanks for doing this!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Awesome thanks!

ComcastDJ See Profile -THAT is what the graph should look like. Please get the 27/7 plan fixed.
pflog

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
Click for full size
windows io graph
ropeguru See Profile - I decided to plug my windows laptop (win7) directly into the SMC D3G to rule out my FreeBSD router.

I see the same erratic speeds (see attached), but what was interesting is that I did NOT see power boost from the windows laptop. Very strange...