share rss forum feed

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

[Equipment] Point-to-point for 30 feet?

Not sure if this is even the right place, but it seems like a good place to start.

I need to run a network connection about 30 feet away to a neighbor's house, but there's simply no plausible way to run an actual cable for anything except temporarily. Think of it as non-negotiable non-technical objections to a cable running across the driveway or propped up between the rooflines.

Ten megabit is plenty, and I was thinking about a wireless point-to-point link but don't want to get something high-powered that will swamp the "regular" wireless in the neighborhood.

I'm really comfortable on the network side, less so on the radio side, and I found this:

»tycononline.com/wireless/point-t···odkBkAuQ

which looks fine except for a concern about high power. I'd be open to something optical too, but don't really even know what to look for.

Advice?

Thanks!

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

Pair of $49 Ubiquiti Loco M2 radios with low power.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

30 feet?

Just open the window and ask your neighbour what he want you to google. Lol
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to Steve

I second the pair of loco's recommendation. Throw it in 20mhz channel's you should see about 80 megabit's of tcp throughput with a 130 megabit rate (5/6 64QAM modulation).

That said I would recommend the M5 (5ghz) so you don't impact yours and your neighbors wifi. Assuming you have line of sight.

edit: Or if you can manage just run direct burial, You might be able to find a non-direct route you can run it.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
reply to Steve

what's been mentioned is probably the best plan. They'll most likely be much too hot. So turn the power WAY down on each one and maybe even throw in some misalignment. If they won't cause interference, maybe even consider mounting them on the far ends of the house to get some distance between them

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
Foothill Ranch, CA
reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

30 feet?

Just open the window and ask your neighbour what he want you to google. Lol

That's what text messages are for

So here is the backstory.

For years I had great 6mbit DSL from AT&T with my own /28 (I work at home as a network security consultant), but my housemate recently ordered U-Verse, which is the phone/TV/internet combo over copper instead of coax.

4 days after his install, my disconnect order went through, without notice, even though I'm on a different account from him. Apparently, a U-Verse order disconnects ALL other DSL is cancelled at the same address.

They weakly claim technical reasons (interference or whatever) but it's really for marketing, and there is no recourse or appeal. My DSL and my static IPs are gone for good. Last week was really bad.

So right now I have an ethernet cable running across the driveway to my neighbor's house where I'm snagging one of his static IPs - he has DSL - and I have cable internet coming soon, but I'm determined that both of us have good backup in case one or the other goes bad. We'll each have an IP on each other's outside network and can use it without having to fool with the cable across the driveway.

My router has automatic failover to a backup ISP, and this would also give us the ability to share files a bit more easily than bouncing it through the server we share at a Level(3) data center.

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

ctech99

join:2010-02-16

As others have said, get two of these, turn the power down, lowest setting it allows is 4dBm.
»www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?···&eq=&Tp=

I have a 200ft link doing almost 100MB

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to Steve

If he is your housemate, why is there a whole driveway between you guys?

EDIT I just think I read it wrong. So your housemate orders uverse, super fast Internet so instead of bumming the blazing speed from him you run a cable across the driveway to the slower DSL connection?

--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
Foothill Ranch, CA

said by Inssomniak:

EDIT I just think I read it wrong. So your housemate orders uverse, super fast Internet so instead of bumming the blazing speed from him you run a cable across the driveway to the slower DSL connection?

Do you really want a discourse into relationship issues?

The neighbor's DSL is for backup internet; I'm getting fast cable internet next week for my primary service.

Steve
--

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

I'm just rattling chains. .

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to Steve

Use 5ghz not 2.4

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Steve

said by Steve:

.... but don't want to get something high-powered that will swamp the "regular" wireless in the neighborhood.
Steve

said by OHSrob:

That said I would recommend the M5 (5ghz) so you don't impact yours and your neighbors wifi. Assuming you have line of sight....

said by wirelessdog:

Use 5ghz not 2.4

Strongly agree. Using 5 Ghz radios will prevent interference to and from your network, and the 2.4 Ghz jungle all around.

A pair of the Loco M5 radio linked to above, in bridge mode, will easily deliver 35 Mbps of single data stream, and max out the 100 Mbps feed with 15 and upwards of parallel data streams.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
Foothill Ranch, CA
reply to Steve

Hmmm, seems like we might have found a better solution: each of our houses have conduits to some (non-poco) pedestals right out front, and a bit of checking with a nylon fishtape shows really easy threading. I've just ordered some direct-burial cable to quietly run this ourselves, avoiding the wireless aspects.

But this whole wireless bridge solution looks awesome, I've totally saved this information because I know I'll need it again.

I am really grateful for all the help here.

Steve
--