how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Steve

Re: [Equipment] Point-to-point for 30 feet?

Pair of $49 Ubiquiti Loco M2 radios with low power.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
30 feet?

Just open the window and ask your neighbour what he want you to google. Lol
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
said by Inssomniak:

30 feet?

Just open the window and ask your neighbour what he want you to google. Lol

That's what text messages are for

So here is the backstory.

For years I had great 6mbit DSL from AT&T with my own /28 (I work at home as a network security consultant), but my housemate recently ordered U-Verse, which is the phone/TV/internet combo over copper instead of coax.

4 days after his install, my disconnect order went through, without notice, even though I'm on a different account from him. Apparently, a U-Verse order disconnects ALL other DSL is cancelled at the same address.

They weakly claim technical reasons (interference or whatever) but it's really for marketing, and there is no recourse or appeal. My DSL and my static IPs are gone for good. Last week was really bad.

So right now I have an ethernet cable running across the driveway to my neighbor's house where I'm snagging one of his static IPs - he has DSL - and I have cable internet coming soon, but I'm determined that both of us have good backup in case one or the other goes bad. We'll each have an IP on each other's outside network and can use it without having to fool with the cable across the driveway.

My router has automatic failover to a backup ISP, and this would also give us the ability to share files a bit more easily than bouncing it through the server we share at a Level(3) data center.

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

ctech99

join:2010-02-16
As others have said, get two of these, turn the power down, lowest setting it allows is 4dBm.
»www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?···&eq=&Tp=

I have a 200ft link doing almost 100MB

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to Steve
If he is your housemate, why is there a whole driveway between you guys?

EDIT I just think I read it wrong. So your housemate orders uverse, super fast Internet so instead of bumming the blazing speed from him you run a cable across the driveway to the slower DSL connection?

--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
said by Inssomniak:

EDIT I just think I read it wrong. So your housemate orders uverse, super fast Internet so instead of bumming the blazing speed from him you run a cable across the driveway to the slower DSL connection?

Do you really want a discourse into relationship issues?

The neighbor's DSL is for backup internet; I'm getting fast cable internet next week for my primary service.

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
I'm just rattling chains. .