Search similar:

uniqs
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

[modem/router] Westell, DLink and Linksys routers on same net

I'm trying to help a small non-profit expand their network. Right now, they have Verizon DSL with a Westell modem/router (not sure what model but it's been there for a while), and a DLink DI-524 wireless router. I tried to connect a Linksys router as a bridge (connected via Ethernet, to get wireless access downstairs) and I found that I was able to get an IP address on a machine connected to the Linksys and talk to the DLink (I was able to login to the console) but could not get out to the Internet or access the Westell. When I am connected from the machine via the Ethernet, I discovered that the Westell also appeared to be operating as a Router as I was able to login to the console.

Some details:

The Dlink is at 192.168.0.1
The Westell is at 192.168.1.1
I set up the Linksys to be at 192.168.2.1

I believe that the IP addresses being given out are on the 192.168.0.x subnet (not 100% positive). I tried turning off DHCP on the Linksys, when I did that the machine I was trying to connect never got an IP address.

What would cause the Westell to refuse to talk to the machine even though the DLink was accessible? Is there some setting I need to change? I was hesitant to change anything that could cause their DSL connection to stop working since I didn't really know what I was doing. I was fairly surprised that the DLink was talking to me.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

1 recommendation

wayjac

MVM

Re: [modem/router] Westell, DLink and Linksys routers on same ne

My suggestion is:
The only working dhcp server should be the dhcp server of the router that has the DSL connection. All other dhcp servers need to be disabled.

Do not use the wan/internet port of the routers that do not have the DSL connection, you should only use the lan ports.

All three routers must use the same subnet and subnet mask,
Use the same subnet and subnet mask, the router with the DSL connection has on the the other routers

Each router must have a unique ip address.....and since you will have three three routers on one subnet the it's should be in sequence at the lower/upper part of the subnet
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

I'm afraid of playing with the settings on the DLink since it could break things that are already working. If I turn off DHCP on it and it stops working (i.e., I can no longer connect to it), what would I do? I guess I would need to backup the settings before making the change and then do a reset and reload the old settings if it breaks.

Also the strange thing is that the Westell and DLink are clearly using different subnets and things are working just fine. It's only when the 3rd router gets involved that things do not work, even though I am getting an address and am able to talk to the DLink.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

It seems to me that you want to add wireless to this network
If you ignore my suggestions you will have two subnets each
router will be using nat.

If you are hesitant about making the changes I suggested
Follow your feelings and only do what is plausible for you.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

Actually, I want to extend the wireless that already exists. The DLink signal doesn't extend far enough downstairs because of the construction of the building. I have Ethernet downstairs so I want to plug in another router and have machines down there connect to it.

So I guess what you are suggesting is that I do the following on the DLink:
1) turn off DHCP
2) force the subnet and mask to the same as the Westell is currently using.

Once that works I can start working on the Linksys and presumably do the same thing.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

i sort of get what you're trying to do, but am confused as to how exactly it is set up at the moment. exactly what device is doing what? when you're on the network that has already been in place, see what ip you're getting. what might be going on is a mix up if your westell is assigning ip's through the d-link, which seems a bit odd, but can be done. if that is what is going on, and you don't actually need access to the modem config, i would recommend setting the modem to bridge mode, and setting the d-link up as pppoe with the login info, and let it handle the routing. once that's done, set up linksys one with dhcp off.

when done, that should look like this:

westell modem (transparently bridged)
to
d-link router (set to pppoe with login info entered, along with dns servers, etc..., and cable from westell in wan port)
to
linksys (set to dhcp off, and ethernet cable coming form d-link going into a LAN port (don't use wan port))

this setup is much simpler and more robust than what i think is going on there, although you do lose access to looking at the modem stats.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to MisterBill

MVM

to MisterBill
said by MisterBill:

Actually, I want to extend the wireless that already exists. The DLink signal doesn't extend far enough downstairs because of the construction of the building

You are just adding another access point to the lan the additional "access point" will provide a wifi signal where there is poor or no wifi signal
The ethernet connection puts all traffic on the same lan

said by MisterBill:

I have Ethernet downstairs so I want to plug in another router and have machines down there connect to it

]
If the ethernet that is downstairs is connected to the ethernet that is upstairs you should not use the wan/internet port of the dlink use only the lan ports

said by MisterBill:

So I guess what you are suggesting is that I do the following on the DLink:
1) turn off DHCP
2) force the subnet and mask to the same as the Westell is currently using

This is part of what I what I suggested

said by MisterBill:

Once that works I can start working on the Linksys and presumably do the same thing.

]
My suggestion will work on any router and allow the use of most any extra fuctionally built-in the router....wifi.....print server by any device connected to the lan
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to MisterBill

to MisterBill
1) turn off dhcp on linksys and dlink
2) set dlink to 192.168.1.2, set linksys to 192.168.1.3
3) set modem dhcp range to 192.168.1.10-100 or higher if needed)
4) all subnets should be 255.255.255.0 or /24
5) set all usernames and passwords to the same thing
6) make notes of this for the next guy who tries to figure it out.
7) all routers should not be using the Wan.

better yet, scrap the dlink and linksys, install expandable wireless system such as the ubiquiti unifi.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to MisterBill

Premium Member

to MisterBill
Is there a reason you have separate subnets? I'd suggest to only have one router on the network. Use a switch if you need more ports and use a access point if you need to extend wireless connectivity. If you must have more than one subnet, then use a router that can set up VLANs.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

I'm trying to do this with what I have so I do not have to spend money. We have the Westell (2200, it turns out) and DLink already set up. We got a Linksys from someone. If someone has some hardware they would like to donate, contact me privately. I can provide a donation letter for a tax deduction.

BTW we had an unrelated problem last week after a new copier (not sure what brand) was installed and they hooked it up to the network. I was told by the office administrator that her machine as well as a machine used by someone else were noticeably slower once the copier was plugged into the network Unplugging the copier supposedly fixed the problem. I have no idea what could be causing the problem or why it would be slowing down machines on the network.