icex
Premium
join:2004-05-22
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Bad phone wiring

Click for full size
Ran into this helping frontier run 15mb dsl into a law firm I manage...... took him a few minutes to find the actual dsl line. It's spliced into about 20 other lines.. No wonder they have static issues.
--
The Gun News Blog, the latest information on the firearm industry.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Another top notch job by the phone company I see.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to icex

Bad? I'd call that typical for around here

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to icex

Ugh...that is bad, but again, par for the course.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to icex

That's pretty damn sloppy.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

3 edits
reply to icex

Why I hate seeing all the wiring run outside. There is a real selection of demarcs for use indoors on a backboard.
Take one cable 6pair, 25 pair etc outside or what ever is needed. then run inside to a main point. Then choose from among lots of selection to terminate indoors. Leave room for expansion also.
Or have fun running new homeruns outside each time you need a new outlet. Then connect to a more limited selection of outdoor demarcs for use on the side of a building.
Then there is also vandalism. Easier to protect one or two homeruns and make them secure than all that mees. Plus if a homerun is damaged usually easier and quicker to repair. Take a knife and rip out all that wiring you see. Then try to put it back again quickly on a repair is not fun. A 25 pair is usually resplice or rerun and punch down quick if the phone numers are written on the demarc and inside panel.
Pull that wiring out now was there two blue and an orange on that terminal and which where they? Get to tone out each wire which takes time. Or just start guessing and make mistakes.
It does seem here the color coding is matched but with inside wiring connected outside that is not always the case. May decide line three in most rooms is actually the only number going to the fax machine in another etc.
So run on blue to fax in that room for the fax outlet and green as third line to other rooms. Cut the wiring then try figuring it out is not fun. Why I like this wiring inside and marked on a real panel and all kept nice and safe.

icex
Premium
join:2004-05-22
USA

Oh thats nothing, all that goes into two 66 blocks mounted under the floor .. lol

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to icex

Actually, that looks like a typical telco box. There's a reason a door hides the "telco" side.

weeksben1
Premium
join:2004-02-26
Clarkston, MI
reply to icex

That seems to be par for the course for most telcos