how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

worn_out

@comcast.net
reply to C0deZer0

Re: Wii U

In addition to the above mentioned points, installing games reduces wear and tear on the dvd drive. We're on our 5th, probably soon to be 6th, 360. The dvd drive failed in all four prior 360s that we had. Of course, then again, the disc tray also decides to just quit opening right about the time the drive starts to go south

As much as I want the WiiU to succeed, I feel that the WiiU will be the GameCube all over again. Not to say that the 'Cube was bad, it was just too little, too late. Most Wii users that wanted something beefier most likely purchased a 360/PS3, instead of waiting for a more powerful Wii. Even now, and at the WiiU launch, the 360/PS3 will still be a better choice, as those are established, mature platforms.

I speculate that if the WiiU fails, Nintendo will have to rely on the already established Wii and handheld markets. But now the handheld market has more competition than it did during the N64/GameCube eras, and the Wii will eventually wind down. If tablets and smartphones somehow rub out dedicated handhelds, and the WiiU does fail, Nintendo could possibly be the next Sega.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
Well, actually the demand for the Wii U has been through the roof! Pre-orders are completely sold out already at Game Stop, Walmart, K Mart, Toys-R-Us, and on Amazon and Game Stop they are completely on backorder, and with the huge demand, they don't even know when they are going to be getting the next batch in! Even Nintendo World themselves here in NYC have completely sold out of pre-orders also! Check out how much people are actually paying for the pre-orders on Craigslist and on eBay!
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

worn_out

@comcast.net
said by danawhitaker :
In regard to worn_out, how much usage is your console getting?
Our 360 does get played for 3-4 hours a day, almost daily. So I do suppose our level of use may contribute to early drive failures. A 360 usually lasts for about two years before the drive starts throwing disc read error fits. The disc read errors increase in frequency until the drive is unusable, and in addition to that, the disc tray starts failing to open up.

Our first 360 (A Xenon) actually suffered from the RROD as the disc drive was failing. Our third 360 didn't even last a year. I've come to the conclusion that when our current 360 breaks, we're going to just buy a new 360 with a 320GB hdd, and install/run our games off the hdd. Considering that our current 360 just passed the two year mark, that moment is rapidly approaching.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Well, actually the demand for the Wii U has been through the roof! Pre-orders are completely sold out already at Game Stop, Walmart, K Mart, Toys-R-Us, and on Amazon and Game Stop they are completely on backorder, and with the huge demand, they don't even know when they are going to be getting the next batch in! Even Nintendo World themselves here in NYC have completely sold out of pre-orders also! Check out how much people are actually paying for the pre-orders on Craigslist and on eBay!

Limiting your production to virtually guarantee a sell-out is a well known marketing tactic to increase hype. If Nintendo wanted to have enough availabe to keep shelves stocked, there'd be enough available. They're trying to make the WiiU the hot Christmas item, and will probably succeed.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
said by bionicRod:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Limiting your production to virtually guarantee a sell-out is a well known marketing tactic to increase hype. If Nintendo wanted to have enough availabe to keep shelves stocked, there'd be enough available. They're trying to make the WiiU the hot Christmas item, and will probably succeed.

It will increase hype, but that will only increase sales if they meet enough of the demand to satisfy consumers. They have a reputation of not being able to meet that demand. The Nintendo DS is particularly memorable on that front. Strong hype and ultimately it sold very well. But it wasn't because they limited the supply, it was because people simply wanted it. I remember many people being unable to get it in time for Christmas. But the market was more forgiving at that time. If Nintendo pulls that again they could damage their immediate sales. People don't like to wait around as much as they were once willing to do. People have grown to expect companies to meet the demand, similar to what Amazon did for the Kindle Fire. Apple has been doing a pretty good job lately too. It could be another interesting holiday season.