"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

Re: Hurricane Sandy On The Way? Possibly Worse Storm Since 1938

It is heading farther south. Yes, we will have wind and rain. But nothing like we are not used too.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
It's headed for DC.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by DrStrange:

It's headed for DC.

Not so fast.. the European model is shifting northward, starting to agree with the GFS model.. northern Jersey may be the final destination for landfall. Here is the model.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I've been throwing darts at a map. It's going into DC, then Cincinnati then Detroit and dies in Hamilton, ON.
you're safe sash

steve728
@verizon.net

steve728 to Sarah

Anon

to Sarah
Yeah, ok. You go outside monday and keep a look out. thx.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Storm alert for New Jersey

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

TrainBuff to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

There's now a path thru Buffalo, NY and into Ontario
About the only place it won't be going is Hawaii

Lucky us! Been following the news about the storm and most of the models has my area in the direct path. As bad as we may get it, downstate and other areas will get it worse.
Been thru one hurricane in my life. That was Connie back in 1955 when it hit New York City. I was living in Brooklyn at the time.
TrainBuff

TrainBuff to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

I've been throwing darts at a map. It's going into DC, then Cincinnati then Detroit and dies in Hamilton, ON.
you're safe sash

It could improve Detroit.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
Hmph!
I wanted panic...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
No panic from me. It has turned into "just another storm". Nothing to get worked up about.
Its basically just a Nor'easter... we all get through them without the panic media hypes.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

No panic from me. It has turned into "just another storm". Nothing to get worked up about.
Its basically just a Nor'easter... we all get through them without the panic media hypes.

Maybe true in Maine, but the CT coastline is about to get hit with an epic combo of wind, rain, and storm surge that will result in heavy flooding. It's an astronomically high tide with easterly winds into Long Island Sound... and Sandy is going to hover with those conditions for 2+ days.

For Connecticut's shoreline... this isn't "just another storm"..

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Agreed. Might not amount to much [or might] inland, but definitely will be a problem for the coast. ENE wind ahead of Sandy will funnel storm surge into LI Sound like a Bay of Fundy tide. Even if landfall is far enough south to spare us the strongest winds, there will be coastal flooding of historic proportions.

FWIW just got a 'reverse 911' call from local government saying we're expecting 3-12" of rain and advising storm preparations.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I should have been more considerate of those that WILL be effected head on, by Sandy. I apologize. I was obviously speaking for Maine. Sometimes it is laughable how much (Maine) media hypes something up, only to say "oops, sorry."
Anyway, my thoughts and well wishes go out to you that will have a head on encounter with Sandy. Take care and be safe.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
Click for full size
I spent some "quality" time at my Little Slice of Hell today. My weekly 4 hour stop to make sure Motel Happy as Hell on the Beach is still standing. Sandbagged the Lounge doors and foamed them shut.

In the summer, I'd have a "staff", or at least some warm bodies to help me. Today I had me.

No heroics JimCT, I do this stunt every year. It's where I live.
It's part of my job. My office floor is 10-12 feet above mean high water and 100 yards away from the surf.

I make light of the situation.
" If we couldnt laugh we would all go insane."

I screwed the Jimmy Buffet tape on the steps to the beach. It's worked in the past.
capecoddah

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

In the event of extreme weather conditions associated with Hurricane Sandy, impacted areas could experience storm related outages. For up-to-date information throughout the storm, please visit verizon.com/outage.

You can also visit verizon.com/repair for troubleshooting tips, instructions on how to restore your service, and open a trouble ticket if needed. In the event of an outage, we will do all that we can to restore your service as quickly as possible.

Please stay safe and thank you for being a Verizon customer.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by capecoddah:

You can also visit verizon.com/repair for troubleshooting tips, instructions on how to restore your service, and open a trouble ticket if needed.

If your service goes out please go online to open a trouble ticket?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

I got a similar email from Time Warner.
scajjr
Kingston, NH

scajjr

Our utility company, Unitil, is saying be prepared for possible multi-day outages. After the past 3 years of multi-day outages from storms we finally got a generator and transfer switch.

Sam

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I haven't moved my generator into place.
Usually power goes out for a few hours. Enough for my 1200 watt power inverter (12 volt marine 600 va battery) to keep my Monitor heater and a couple lights going for 4-5 hours. Freezer and refrigerator will last that long, as long as I don't open them.
After that, I have to fire up the generator.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to steve728

to steve728
Just got back from another impeccably timed trip to NYC. What a madhouse it was at Penn Station! There was pushing and shoving. I told someone that in Boston, people wait politely in lines for Amtrak trains...

Now I have to go to the grocery store and try to make it clear with body language and eye-rolling that I'm not stocking up in a panic for the storm, I just happened not to be home all weekend and didn't get a chance to go shopping... you know the drill

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Good luck!
You thought the train station was bad....

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Filled my generator yesterday with 5 gallons of gas. Today I filled two 5 gallon Jerry cans with fuel. I have three five gallon, three two gallon, and a one gallon gas cans. I also moved the grill and smoker in the garage. Also went to Home Depot and bought another CO detector.

To add insult to injury, I got pulled over by the police for a loud exhaust (which that piece of junk car is being taken off the road when the sticker expires at the end of the month as I cannot afford to get it fixed so I am going to have to take the bus until I can come up with the cash to get it fixed). Fortunately I did not get a ticket as I have a good driving record.

I have about 15 gallons of fuel (5 in the genny and 10 in the Jerry cans) waiting for the lights to go out. I installed a transfer switch last month (did it myself and I am not even an electrician). I also have a lock and cable to tie down the generator to prevent theft of the generator as the inlet is on the front of my house. My mother is a crossing guard and the schoolchildren get the day off tomorrow so they'll have to make it up in the summer.

Gas is in short supply, the BJ'S in Chicopee was dry in terms of fuel. Went to a nearby Sunoco station where the clerks were the "trailer trash" type who were rude and nasty and enjoyed their cigarette breaks less than ten feet from the gas pumps. I am going to call corporate for the FL Roberts chain and report these clerks for violating Massachusetts law by smoking within 25 feet of a fueling station (I've got better things to do with my time than recuperating in a burn unit at Mass General Hospital because someone was stupid enough to smoke at a gas station).

Now I'll just wait out the storm. I have a mobile broadband card through Verizon Wireless that I can use if Comcast goes offline. As for water, I have city water and I live in the city.
scajjr
Kingston, NH

1 recommendation

scajjr

I did my transfer switch install myself as well. It even came with a DVD showing you how to do it. Took about 2 hours from unboxing to installed & testing with generator. It'll run well pump, water heater, fridge& microwave and lights in a couple rooms. We also have a wood stove (used mostly on weekends to supplement the electric heat).

Sam

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr to swintec

MVM

to swintec
Trouble with media is they're trying to sell something. If you are more than 3 days in advance, there's too much that can change. It might be better, it might be worse. And it might be ok for you, but not so ok for someone else. Only thing you can know is something's on the way.

National Weather Service can't predict accurately more than three days out. 3 days is enough to get the gist, but 1 or 2 days is a better prediction.

Find the NWS forecast for your area. Here's mine. »forecast.weather.gov/Map ··· 4219&e=0

Scroll down to find the Hourly Weather Graph and click on it. There is where you'll find the details for your area you need to know.

Here, the wind will peak around 5 p.m. Monday. The rain accumulation continues to be downgraded. Expect to be back to business as usual Tuesday, and back to normal Wednesday, assuming power is not affected. And yes, like IowaCowboy, we've lost too much ice cream from the freezer in events past. Backup generator is ready to go.

Sandi says "with a storm named after me, it better be good." She hasn't told me whether it should be a good blow or a good puff.

For Warwick RI, current 10/28 8:00 p.m.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Okay. I give.
I joked that this probably wasn't going to be a big deal (at least in Maine) but the more I see the news and other sources, I may be wrong.
I spent today cleaning out my rain gutters and testing my generator.
For the most part, my 1200 watt power inverter (from a 12v 600v a marine battery) will give me several hours of heat on my Monitor heater
After that, I will need the generator.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to swintec

to swintec
Just saw that Cambridge is closing schools and city offices tomorrow. Are most people going to work tomorrow, or no?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
My new job requires me to be at work. No matter what. Snow, Hurricane, tornado, .... I have to be there.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

My new job requires me to be at work. No matter what. Snow, Hurricane, tornado, .... I have to be there.

postal carrier?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Hospital