Search similar:

uniqs

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to steve728

to steve728

Re: Hurricane Sandy On The Way? Possibly Worse Storm Since 1938

Just got back from another impeccably timed trip to NYC. What a madhouse it was at Penn Station! There was pushing and shoving. I told someone that in Boston, people wait politely in lines for Amtrak trains...

Now I have to go to the grocery store and try to make it clear with body language and eye-rolling that I'm not stocking up in a panic for the storm, I just happened not to be home all weekend and didn't get a chance to go shopping... you know the drill

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Good luck!
You thought the train station was bad....

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Filled my generator yesterday with 5 gallons of gas. Today I filled two 5 gallon Jerry cans with fuel. I have three five gallon, three two gallon, and a one gallon gas cans. I also moved the grill and smoker in the garage. Also went to Home Depot and bought another CO detector.

To add insult to injury, I got pulled over by the police for a loud exhaust (which that piece of junk car is being taken off the road when the sticker expires at the end of the month as I cannot afford to get it fixed so I am going to have to take the bus until I can come up with the cash to get it fixed). Fortunately I did not get a ticket as I have a good driving record.

I have about 15 gallons of fuel (5 in the genny and 10 in the Jerry cans) waiting for the lights to go out. I installed a transfer switch last month (did it myself and I am not even an electrician). I also have a lock and cable to tie down the generator to prevent theft of the generator as the inlet is on the front of my house. My mother is a crossing guard and the schoolchildren get the day off tomorrow so they'll have to make it up in the summer.

Gas is in short supply, the BJ'S in Chicopee was dry in terms of fuel. Went to a nearby Sunoco station where the clerks were the "trailer trash" type who were rude and nasty and enjoyed their cigarette breaks less than ten feet from the gas pumps. I am going to call corporate for the FL Roberts chain and report these clerks for violating Massachusetts law by smoking within 25 feet of a fueling station (I've got better things to do with my time than recuperating in a burn unit at Mass General Hospital because someone was stupid enough to smoke at a gas station).

Now I'll just wait out the storm. I have a mobile broadband card through Verizon Wireless that I can use if Comcast goes offline. As for water, I have city water and I live in the city.
scajjr
join:2005-03-01
Kingston, NH

1 recommendation

scajjr

I did my transfer switch install myself as well. It even came with a DVD showing you how to do it. Took about 2 hours from unboxing to installed & testing with generator. It'll run well pump, water heater, fridge& microwave and lights in a couple rooms. We also have a wood stove (used mostly on weekends to supplement the electric heat).

Sam

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr to swintec

MVM

to swintec
Trouble with media is they're trying to sell something. If you are more than 3 days in advance, there's too much that can change. It might be better, it might be worse. And it might be ok for you, but not so ok for someone else. Only thing you can know is something's on the way.

National Weather Service can't predict accurately more than three days out. 3 days is enough to get the gist, but 1 or 2 days is a better prediction.

Find the NWS forecast for your area. Here's mine. »forecast.weather.gov/Map ··· 4219&e=0

Scroll down to find the Hourly Weather Graph and click on it. There is where you'll find the details for your area you need to know.

Here, the wind will peak around 5 p.m. Monday. The rain accumulation continues to be downgraded. Expect to be back to business as usual Tuesday, and back to normal Wednesday, assuming power is not affected. And yes, like IowaCowboy, we've lost too much ice cream from the freezer in events past. Backup generator is ready to go.

Sandi says "with a storm named after me, it better be good." She hasn't told me whether it should be a good blow or a good puff.

For Warwick RI, current 10/28 8:00 p.m.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Okay. I give.
I joked that this probably wasn't going to be a big deal (at least in Maine) but the more I see the news and other sources, I may be wrong.
I spent today cleaning out my rain gutters and testing my generator.
For the most part, my 1200 watt power inverter (from a 12v 600v a marine battery) will give me several hours of heat on my Monitor heater
After that, I will need the generator.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah to swintec

to swintec
Just saw that Cambridge is closing schools and city offices tomorrow. Are most people going to work tomorrow, or no?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
My new job requires me to be at work. No matter what. Snow, Hurricane, tornado, .... I have to be there.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

My new job requires me to be at work. No matter what. Snow, Hurricane, tornado, .... I have to be there.

postal carrier?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Hospital

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to Sarah

Premium Member

to Sarah
said by Sarah:

Just saw that Cambridge is closing schools and city offices tomorrow. Are most people going to work tomorrow, or no?

Boston Public and Boston U are closed Monday along with all east coast Amtrak, 7000 flights, and NYC transit.
I think the Boston area is just going to be a good storm, nothing real bad.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
Sysco Kid, was a friend of mine...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· P22mVZQg

As a long standing member of the Hospitality Industry, I can bust balls.

I'm a ServeSafe Card Carrin' member of the Food and Beverage Community too. More reason to bust balls.

Remember, I've eaten your food and tipped your Waitrons well.
Any Port in the Storm that is Off-Season.
capecoddah

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
it's blowing!
Motel Hell is sending Alarm messages to me hourly. It's still standing.

The beach was ROCKIN'!!! I have a pound of sand in my receding hair. Salty, gritty goodness in my teeth. I would have gone for a quick surf but I was alone.
Cable, phone and internet are down there.
Comcast just went out at home.

My neighbor's leaves are blowing into MY yard. dammit!

Cape Cod Over and Out! *static*

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I lost power about an hour ago. Most of Boothbay has.
I am currently on generator. It powers my lights and TV, frezzers and refrigerator. But not my water pump so no shower tonight. And take it easy on the toilet!

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

I am out to now. Thought I would get spared, no such luck.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Grandma has power as of a half hour ago (7:45pm) in Biddeford. Thought she had lost power because her TWC phone has been working on and off. I have power right now as of 8:26 pm in Springfield MA. I have my Comcast phone modem plugged into a UPS in addition to the modem battery and my portable generator.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

Hospital

Southern Maine Medical Center?

I have lost count of how many times Grandma has been taken there by ambulance for dislocating her hip replacement or diabetic issues. I beg her to get a medical alarm system (and I offered to pay for it) but she refuses, saying they are too intrusive. Sure beats dying in the bottom of the bathtub. Or yelling "I've Fallen and I can't get up" when nobody can hear her. Fortunately she doesn't live alone but her husband is hard of hearing and has ahlzeimers.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah to swintec

to swintec
Doing OK here in Cambridge. My brother out in Bedford still had power when I heard from him 45 minutes ago, although it had been flickering a bit.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by Dominokat:

Hospital

No.
Miles Memorial in Damariscotta.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Dominokat:

Hospital

No.
Miles Memorial in Damariscotta.

That is what grandma would refer to as "up north".

If I ask grandma where various towns or points of interest in Maine are or about Maine geography, she always replies "up north".

She was born and raised in Sanford, moved to Springfield, MA in the 1950's (where my mother was born and we currently live) and then she went to Florida in the 1970's and moved to Arundel Maine in the early 90's and moved into her current house in Biddeford in the year 2000.

She turned 80 years young last March. She currently lives with her husband and an Alaskan Malamute (that used to belong to one of my cousins). She lost her siamese mix cat to old age in 2011. She took care of my cat after we were diverted back to Maine in 2011 after a car crash in New Hampshire (courtesy of a drunk driver) while driving back to Mass. I had to take the train home and they don't allow cats on the train (even in a crate). I finally took my cat home once I bought the lemon that is being taken off the road on Wednesday when the sticker runs out.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to swintec

MVM

to swintec
This a.m. about 100,000 without power in RI, storm surge was the problem in waterfront neighborhoods. There's already powerline crews from Michigan and Missouri on the ground and ready to go.

Weather station data during the storm. Anemometer is on top of roof but somewhat shielded by neighbor's house and some trees, so it doesn't measure quite as much as it felt like when I was standing out in the middle of the road with the wind and rain in my face.

KRIWARWI6 on wunderground

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I just read a story showing a bunch of Photoshopped 'storm' photos that are being posted all around the 'net. If you see a photo of the Statue of Liberty being washed out to sea please don't forward it.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
Dodged another one!
Twigs and leaves in the yard. Clear sky last night. Heard 1 chainsaw but always do.

Water washed over the beach but not the dunes and stayed off the Motel property. Gust of 60+ there.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
My power went out at 7pm last night. It is still out. There is a tree on the line comming from the road up my driveway. I am the last house on the driveway. I have two other neighbors that lost power also.
Since it is in essence, a private drive. It is low prioraty so who knows when I'll gaet power back on.
Meanwhile, I am running my generator for now. It doesn't have enough power to run the refrigerator and freeze at the same time to run my water well pump. So when I want a shower, I have to shut off every power breaker except the water pump.
But at least I can get a shower!
Dominokat

1 recommendation

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size
CMP (Central Maine Power) was on my driveway cutting down branches tangled in wires, and repairing the damaged wires.
I now have power!

Frostbite
join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

Frostbite to swintec

to swintec
No real issues here in Marlborough, MA. Some parts of the city lost power for a while. I lost power for all of 2 seconds at 4:53 P.M. and had occasional sags until about 8 P.M. but not enough to bring down the house. After that, clear sailing.

There was a note from my City on Facebook this morning that they had closed the one and only road that leads to my house because a power line had fallen across it. I found that weird because I left just fine at 8 A.M. and there were no lines or no crews on that road. I got home fine this evening.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I had a few light flickers last night, but never lost power, internet, phone, or TV. Amazing actually!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

1 edit

vaxvms to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Sure as hell wasn't the Worse Storm Since 1938 in Central MA. Last year's Halloween snowstorm caused much,much more trouble.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

We were lucky it went south - it ended up being the worst storm for a lot of other people instead...

We are having a massive thunderstorm here. I think it is still part of Sandy's enormous system.

Frostbite
join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

Frostbite

It would figure the INSTANT I read this from you, Sarah, that I just heard my first loud rumble of thunder outside. Timing!