uniqs

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Hurricane Sandy On The Way? Possibly Worse Storm Since 1938

This storm is shaping up to really be something if it comes this way. »www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· log.html

Weather geeks are starting to grumble that it is a real possibility. Should be interesting to see what happens as we get closer. Not sure how this area can withstand a large storm like this.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah

Looked around a few weather sites and none of them are forecasting anything much heading our way. But it's still a week away so a lot can change.

It would be a little ridiculous if we had Halloween canceled by a freak snowstorm in 2011 and canceled again by a freak hurricane in 2012...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size
It's going out to sea.
That is my prediction.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
It could get drawn up the coast by the Jet Stream.
If it goes out to sea, it could be pushed back by the North Atlantic High.

No French Toast panic yet.
I will be going shopping tomorrow and need bread and milk. Eggs are on the list too. All set for maple syrup.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Maybe I should do a generator test????
Nah.... not "yet"

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

Nah.... not "yet"

If this materializes I bet there will be no power for the long haul...similar to the ice storm of 98????
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

Nah.... not "yet"

Pulling out my portable propane generator this weekend to give it a good workout. I have close to a full 400 gallons of propane on hand at the moment... perfect timing!

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Dominokat:

Nah.... not "yet"

Pulling out my portable propane generator this weekend to give it a good workout. I have close to a full 400 gallons of propane on hand at the moment... perfect timing!

Ya know, when i posted this thread I was thinking of you. You probably have been waiting for this moment ever since you installed your generator. lol Assuming the houses stay standing, hope it works out well for you.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

This will be the real first test of my backup generator system. And it's looking more likely that I'll have the chance to use it for an extended time... at least 2 models are now in agreement that an Atlantic coast landfall hit is the path Sandy will take: »www.boston.com/metrodesk ··· ory.html

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

This will be the real first test of my backup generator system. And it's looking more likely that I'll have the chance to use it for an extended time... at least 2 models are now in agreement that an Atlantic coast landfall hit is the path Sandy will take: »www.boston.com/metrodesk ··· ory.html

I dont mind the rain, so I will take that up here and you can keep the winds and stuff for your test.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
This is New England and it's a week away. It's likely to be the
Sunniest Day since 1738.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size
Hmmm....
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

Hmmm....

Yeah, most of the weather organizations are now saying an Atlantic coastal hit is the most likely scenario... going out to sea is now much less likely... and one storm track (the one that predicted Irene and the October Snowstorm) is suggesting this could rival the Hurricane of '38.

Time to get serious about this and put everything in order this weekend. Let's see how tough it will be to get bread, peanut butter and gas at the grocery store..

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah to vaxvms

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

This is New England and it's a week away. It's likely to be the
Sunniest Day since 1738.

I sure hope so. Last year my mom's birthday plans were canceled because of the blizzard. This year she will be scheduled to fly into New York from Beijing around the time the hurricane is coming into play (once again, on her birthday). That's just no fun at all.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size
Here's the updated models as of 8 pm EST.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

2 edits

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size
»news.yahoo.com/hybrid-sa ··· 714.html

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

For a good early analysis, a local meteorologist has a nice write up: »www.wcsh6.com/weather/ar ··· analysis

So i think we will be getting SOMETHING. Either a storm we can deal with or a destructive monster.

Side bar, I dont know who else knows this weatherman but I find him very pleasant to listen to and calls things like they are. He was the best person channel 6 has hired in a long time.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

1 recommendation

miataman

Premium Member

or as Al sez... Good EEEEEEEEvening...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I have a generator that I acquired during the October Snowstorm last year and I installed a manual transfer switch in my house last month.

Better stock up on fuel and food. As a Boy Scout during my youth, the motto: Be Prepared.

I just hope grandma up in Maine can make it through the storm, she is about five miles from the coast in Biddeford (and I cannot go up there as my car is in poor mechanical condition). She does not have a generator (I would like to put in a standby generator at her house but there are no NG lines on her street). At least her husband has relatives that can take care of them, but they are somewhat unreliable.

I better make sure she charges her cell phone as her Time Warner phone will not function in a power outage (as they don't give batteries with their EMTA's).

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I better make sure she charges her cell phone as her Time Warner phone will not function in a power outage (as they don't give batteries with their EMTA's).

That would be hit or miss anyways. Once the batteries die in the field it wont matter if the eMTA can stay powered or not. Once power is cut here, the system has about 4-5 hours of use before that dies.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah to swintec

to swintec
Click for full size
These storm tracks are starting to look pretty bizarre!

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

Jtmo to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Great, my daughter brings west coast Earthquakes to New England and you guys counter with a 'Perfect Storm' for her. She is looking forward to it, let's see what she thinks when she loses power on the 15th floor of her dorm for a day or two.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I'll bet a lobstah dinner this "storm" isn't much more than a nasty thunderstorm with some downpours when (if) it visits New England.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I may have to end up raking some leaves again.

Frostbite
join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

1 recommendation

Frostbite

Aww. *plays violin sadly* :P
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

I'll bet a lobstah dinner this "storm" isn't much more than a nasty thunderstorm with some downpours when (if) it visits New England.

Way too vague. "New England" is pretty large... those of us near the shoreline in CT will get a much different story than someone in Springfield, Mass, and it might not even impact someone in Caribou, Maine.

That's like a "heads I win, tails you lose"-type proposition.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
I was going to make a big bat to hang in the front yahd with 20' of re-rod and landscape fabric. I'll leave it on paper for a dew days to see what happens.

Speaking of leaves... I was looking at the yahd today and my next door neighbors commented on the leaves ("They won't rake themselves"). I said I was going to wait out the storm so they would blow away. They didn't see the humor.
capecoddah

capecoddah to swintec

to swintec
Click for full size
Path of Doom!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by capecoddah:

Path of Doom!

From what I'm reading, the likelihood of landfall in New Jersey seems to be increasing, and the likelihood of landfall in Cape Cod and points beyond up through Maine is increasingly slim.

The European model that was the only one to peg this storm for a US landfall from the start has been pretty consistent with it's New Jersey prediction... and I'm inclined to believe that one over the others at this point.