Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

[hard drive] Update firmware

I received an e-mail from Crucial announcing an update to the firmware of the SSD I purchased. Here's the problem. I installed the SSD in a Playstation 3. Is there a way I can hook the drive up via USB and update the firmware without losing any data?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

If the drive currently has a firmware revision that is listed as being capable of updating to the latest one non-destructively, then yes. It's still a good idea to back up your stuff though. If you have a spare external drive, you can use the PS3's system backup function.
--
KI6RIT

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Black_Mage

I could interpret your post in 3 different ways, so clarification would be good here. I'm also assuming you have a Crucial m4 SSD, but since you omit what brand/model you have this makes things even more difficult. The below is ASSUMING you have a Crucial m4 SSD.

1. There is no way for you to update the SSD firmware while the SSD is in the PS3. You cannot hook a USB cable between your PS3 and PC and do the firmware update, for example. You will need to remove the SSD from the PS3 to update its firmware.

2. You will need either a Windows-based system or a Mac system to update the firmware. For Windows, you can update the firmware within Windows as long as you have Windows 7 or Windows 8. For Windows XP or Macintosh, you'll need to download the "Manual Boot File", burn the ISO to a CD, and follow the instructions in the upgrade manual. Finally, for PCs, you will need a system with a classic BIOS and not UEFI.

3. The SSD will need to be hooked to your Windows or Mac system via a native SATA port. You cannot put the SSD in a USB-based enclosure and hook it up to a Windows/Mac system and update the firmware that way. You must hook it up to a native SATA connection. Furthermore, do not hook it up to an eSATA port.

4. You will not lose any data on your SSD. The fact that it's being used in your PS3 has absolutely nothing to do with the firmware itself, so rest assured after the firmware update you can put the SSD back in the PS3 and it'll continue to work as before.

In the future, you should ask Crucial these questions. You got an Email from them, you bought their product, they maintain the firmware, they make the drive, etc. etc... I really don't understand why so many people buy products from vendors but are afraid to talk to the vendors. Very strange.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Black_Mage

If the drive is working just fine, I would read the firmware notes and make a decision as to whether or not this is even warranted.

One of those "if it isn't broken..."

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
reply to koitsu

I did ask the vendor and the rep I talked to wasn't sure. Hence my asking here. Why assume I didn't already talk to the vendor? Also, if the attitude if thus forum is to always go to the vendor then why even bother having a hardware help section?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

said by Black_Mage:

I did ask the vendor and the rep I talked to wasn't sure. Hence my asking here. Why assume I didn't already talk to the vendor?

Because you didn't indicate you spoke to Crucial, and not to mention 97-98% of the time people don't talk to the vendor. It's easier for them to just post something on a public forum and flail arms (really). I'm sure you know how the Internet behaves in this regard, right? This forum is no different than anywhere else.

Did you actually go and download/read (not skim, but READ) the firmware update guide that Crucial provides on their site where you download the firmware? Let me step you through it:

1. Go here: »www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx
2. Pick your model of SSD -- which again, I have to assume is the m4
3. Look at the "guide" links. Referring to the Manual Boot File guide, it will take you to this PDF: »edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/010···010G.pdf
4. You can read that in full. Specifically, pay attention to everything written on page 3.

said by Black_Mage:

Also, if the attitude if thus forum is to always go to the vendor then why even bother having a hardware help section?

I'm not even going to answer this. Come on mate, I'm sure you can figure that one out for yourself.
--

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Black_Mage

Koitsu's one of the finest minds on these boards but he's been a little grumpy lately. We still love him though.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

What're you talking about? I'm always grumpy! I couldn't be a UNIX SA if I wasn't!

I'm extra grumpy in the past 24 hours because I've been answering forum and mailing list questions from people who have been omitting information needed to help them reliably. This is the 4th time in under 24 hours, all separate/unrelated ordeals too. Sorry for sounding like I'm picking on you Black_Mage See Profile, I'm just very short with people in general. That isn't your fault in the least.

I need to go on a hiatus of sorts, that's for sure...
--

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Black_Mage