share rss forum feed

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

New Ad Deployment

As we've read, the sluggishness in the STB's is caused by a new ad deployment software or module or whatever that Verizon tried to use.

I'm really hoping that they aren't planning on littering the guide with ads. Not becoming for the premium service that we're paying dearly for.

Lately, a really annoying behavior is when I press the Guide button and get an "ad" telling me about VOD or some other thing I'd rather not see, which goes without saying because I was trying to get to the GUIDE!!! I hope this goes away as well, along with the placement through the guide of the on-demand movies just so that we don't miss them. I'd rather seek this information out myself than be hammered with it.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
If you are referring to the weekly Friday ad, that can be turned off in settings.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by nascar:

If you are referring to the weekly Friday ad, that can be turned off in settings.

Hmmm. Thanks, I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it only occurs on Friday, nor had a dug around and found that setting! I'll have to change that option and see whatever it is goes away.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nascar
said by nascar:

Where? Dense here -- can't find it.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
I'm not in front of it but I think it is Interactive settings. Unless someone can post more specifics it will have to wait till I'm home.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by nascar:

I'm not in front of it but I think it is Interactive settings. Unless someone can post more specifics it will have to wait till I'm home.

I always had that turned off and still see the issue.

That said, I took the "ad deployment system" to be what inserts local adds into the national channel feeds like CNN, etc., not the insertaion into the STB interface itself (those that show up at the top of menus, the guide, or popups, etc.). I traced back to when people began complaining about this issue and it seemd to correlate to when I noticed a big change in the locally-inserted adds. These adds are now in full 16x9 in many cases, higher resolution, etc.and there seem to be many more of them.

We may never know for sure though. All we want is a fix!

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by PJL:

said by nascar:

I'm also not at home to look, but I think it was a combination of two settings that disabled those pop-up VOD ads.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
said by matcarl:

said by PJL:

said by nascar:

I'm also not at home to look, but I think it was a combination of two settings that disabled those pop-up VOD ads.

Both are disabled and have been since introduced and I discovered them.

I have to think that if it were only something like the pop-up VOD ads Verizon would bite the bullet and turn it off until they could fix it. But if it were the ad insertion system that inserts local ads into national cable channels, then they would not want to give up the revenue or upset their advertisers.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by PJL:

I have to think that if it were only something like the pop-up VOD ads Verizon would bite the bullet and turn it off until they could fix it. But if it were the ad insertion system that inserts local ads into national cable channels, then they would not want to give up the revenue or upset their advertisers.

I doubt the regular local ads are inserted at the STB's. More than likely some of the things that show up on the menus, like the ads for some pay per views.

From what some people have said, now that they have figured out what is wrong, they are seeing somewhat better response. I.e. they probably have reduced or eliminated these "ads".

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by tnsprin:

I doubt the regular local ads are inserted at the STB's. More than likely some of the things that show up on the menus, like the ads for some pay per views.

I agree with you. That's why I'm worried about the Ad Deployment being popups etc. on the guide. My in-laws have that on their cable system and it's horrible.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tnsprin
said by tnsprin:

said by PJL:

From what some people have said, now that they have figured out what is wrong, they are seeing somewhat better response. I.e. they probably have reduced or eliminated these "ads".

I never said they were "inserted at the STB's (sic)." They are inserted at the VHO and processed by the STB and may relate to resolution differences between the channel and the advertisement and how the STB responds to the differences. I don't believe placement on menus would impact channels in this way.
You're welcome to your opinion on the cause, as I am. The main thing is that it gets solved. This is my last comment on this topic.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to amarryat
I have PopUps disabled and Interactive TV disabled. Makes for a much smoother experience overall.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Mac973:

I have PopUps disabled and Interactive TV disabled. Makes for a much smoother experience overall.

When I disabled Interactive TV, I didn't see PopUps, but later saw that further down the menu and set that as well. But when I initially disabled Interactive TV, I also disabled Recommendations thinking that was the PopUp setting. So I have disabled all 3.