share rss forum feed

MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Cogeco Cable

[INTERNET] Downgrade = Upgrade?

In the past, I used to exploit the $50 bandwidth cap on my Ultimate 30 plan, but when they removed that cap, I was forced to upgrade to the Ultimate 55 (then Ultimate 50) at an increased rate.

Exploiting that $50 max overage charge gave me a virtually unlimited surfing experience, and although it wasn't exactly 'allowed', the Cogeco staffers were the ones who actually informed me of this max overage charge, and told me how to exploit it. (For that, I thank you guys at Cogeco for saving me money, and cheating the system)

Now that the Ultimate plan isn't as 'ultimate' as it once was, I was wondering if anyone would recommend downgrading my internet plan to the Turbo 20, and just pay the $50 extra for the unlimited bandwidth. I'd be paying about the same amount as I am right now, which is around $100 for the Ultimate 55.

Now, I'm aware that other service providers offer unlimited bandwidth for far less than Cogeco, unfortunately, switching over to someone like Teksavvy just isn't possible at this point in time. (don't think they're even available where I live)

Would anyone recommend me switching over to the Turbo 20 plan, just so I can get unlimited bandwidth?
If I did downgrade, would Cogeco force me to upgrade again, due to excessive bandwidth use? (I currently use just under 250 GB, thanks to some advanced planning. I'd rather not have to limit myself on the internet, though, and unfortunately, Cogeco is limiting me quite a bit)

Also, if I made the 'upgrade' to Turbo 20, does the $50 max overage charge still apply? Will they eventually cut me off?

Thanks.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Sure, go for it. I figure it's only a matter of time before the $50 limits on the lower-tier plans disappear in Ontario either outright disappear or increase to some ungodly amount like $100, though. Use it till you lose it, I guess.

That, or switch to Business Ultimate 30 for $130/month. All business plans have de-facto unlimited bandwidth despite being advertised with limits.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to MysticGuitar
said by Gone:

That, or switch to Business Ultimate 30 for $130/month. All business plans have de-facto unlimited bandwidth despite being advertised with limits.

My advice is the same and I think it's worth it.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to MysticGuitar
Or you can switch to Start. Get their pro package for $60/month and 400GB. Each GB over and above is .50.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Phorkster:

Or you can switch to Start. Get their pro package for $60/month and 400GB. Each GB over and above is .50.

It's still not "unlimited" though. For most people 400GB wouldn't be an issue, but for the Angelos out there it can be.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Yep.
Support is better and CSRs are nicer too.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
said by dillyhammer:

said by urbanriot:

Yep.
Support is better and CSRs are nicer too.

Mike

Agreed, Business CSR's are amazing, probably the only good thing Cogeco has going for them. My START service starts on the 7th, 30/2 400GB, we'll see how it goes. The Cogeco business rep said that if I have any problems with START to come back and they'll waive any installation/general fees.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.