spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

w0kie

join:2001-12-23
Tulsa, OK

[ALL] Are you receiving these missing Encore channels?

I received a Cox Oklahoma mailer yesterday offering Starz for $10 a month for six months. The mailer says "You already have Encore." What's missing from the Cox Starz/Encore Oklahoma lineup is Encore's Family Channel, MoviePlex, IndiePlex and RetroPlex. I would be interested to hear if any of you Cox cable customers are receiving these missing Encore channels.

w0kie

Tulsa, OK

And FWIW: My Cox Moto box doesn't receive the following Starz channels in HD - Black, Kids & Family, Cinema and Comedy as well as some other HD movie channels.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Same here, it's not a big deal. Encore is mostly crap, still, EPIX and "fearnet?" (sounds rather lame) and wifetime movie network are scrambled.

-Rob

w0kie

Tulsa, OK

1 edit

Cox told me that in order to receive the additional Starz HD channels I would have to pony up another $5 a month for a whole home DVR plus pay Cox some fifty bucks to hook it up. No thank you. Cox pointed out that I could check Starz On Demand for some of the missing Starz HD movies. Cox Tulsa has parked all of the Encore SD channels in the 200-206 range which are currently in Freeview. When surfing those channels last night for the first time I ran across the movie VideoDrome which is more or less a snuff sadomasochism film starring Debbie Harry aka Blondie, in the buff. IMHO that film sure didn't belong in any freeview mode. Last week Cox Oklahoma put Cinemax aka Skinamax into freeview mode so I guess Cox doesn't care much about edgy freeview content here in the buckle of the Bible belt.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

said by w0kie:

Cox told me that in order to receive the additional Starz HD channels I would have to pony up another $5 a month for a whole home DVR plus pay Cox some fifty bucks to hook it up.

An alternative to this is to get a cablecard tuner for windows (7) media center and/or a tivo then you should get the programming you subscribe to (including the plus pack channels for premiums you get) at no additional charge (besides the cablecard fee and possible advanced tv and/or outlet fee - depends on market what other fees but it would be the same for any additional box). Currently here in phoenix, integrated hd graphics of SB/Ivy Bridge intel processors can't handle copy once h.264 programming but play fine with other graphics cards or through extenders.

Currently, cox says only their WHDVR/trio system is capable of 1GHz tuning and mpeg4 (h.264) which is required for the plus pack channels. I've heard the moto boxes are capable of both of the above but possibly not with the firmware cox uses and in some cisco/sa markets, they give out the same boxes that are used in WHDVR but without "trio" and they can't tune them either. In both cases it may be a guide issue as people would be calling and complaining if their box couldn't tune the channels and it listed them in the guide and replacing "all" the boxes in a market can get quite expensive.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

Only the newer Motorola DCX boxes would work if cox let them.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Just another way for Cox to make things more expensive then they need to be. My bill is expensive enough.

-Rob

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to w0kie

said by w0kie:

Cox told me that in order to receive the additional Starz HD channels I would have to pony up another $5 a month for a whole home DVR plus pay Cox some fifty bucks to hook it up. No thank you. Cox pointed out that I could check Starz On Demand for some of the missing Starz HD movies. Cox Tulsa has parked all of the Encore SD channels in the 200-206 range which are currently in Freeview. When surfing those channels last night for the first time I ran across the movie VideoDrome which is more or less a snuff sadomasochism film starring Debbie Harry aka Blondie, in the buff. IMHO that film sure didn't belong in any freeview mode. Last week Cox Oklahoma put Cinemax aka Skinamax into freeview mode so I guess Cox doesn't care much about edgy freeview content here in the buckle of the Bible belt.

That would be the cox double dip option. there are skinemax/hbo hd's i don't get because i refuse to PAY TWICE for channels i pay for.

the content provider could care less what you watch long as you're paying for it. cox is doing a money grab by putting these channels above 860mhz so you gotta pay more for the box/hookup and service
--
Despises any post with strings.