spc
uniqs
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to JimmyK814

to JimmyK814

Re: Weird phone issue

Talked to my boss. Here is our first thought. When you dial *82 the phone dials those digits, then it will give you a stutter tone. If you dial digits during the stutter tone, this may be what you are experiencing. If you wait till the phone dials the *82, then gives you the stutter tone, then dial your number, it should work with no issues. Basically the phone will go beep beep beep (dialing star 8 2) doo (pause) doo (pause) dooooooooooo (steady dial tone)

If that isn't it, let us know.
JimmyK814
join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

The experience is:

*82.... pause for the stutter tone until constant dial tone is back
Start dialing number... about 5 seconds after first digit is dialed, the "click" sound can be heard that seems like about 1 second between two clicks where any number dialed is ignored.

If you are fast and have the whole number dialed in 5 seconds before this click, or if you wait for the click and then dial the rest of the number... then the call proceeds.

Otherwise, the system acts as if numbers were missing in the dialing sequence.

I haven't checked back on this in a few days, so I'll try it again tonight.

A good way to test is to dial *82, then dial the first digit of a phone number and sit and wait 5 seconds to see if you hear a click.

Tried this on a couple different phones... and two lines, but same modem.

I'm also on a D3 Arris modem.
JimmyK814

JimmyK814

I tried again last night. Still having the same issue.
JimmyK814

JimmyK814 to ABBJason

to ABBJason
I know things have been likely busy with the storm in some regions, but I just wondered if you were able to reproduce this.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Sorry I haven't replied, we have been crazy. I have tried to replicate this issue and have been unable to do so. I would at this point have to either put it down to something with the modem itself, inside wiring, or phones. It would be best I think to schedule a service call, replicate it for the technician, and see what he can find with his test handset.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

I unplugged all of the house wiring and plugged in a simple basic wired phone and sure enough the *82 issue was still there. Repeated on the line 2 port, same deal.

One thing, I noticed on my basic phone, is there is an red LED that lights up when the phone is off the hook.

So after dialing *82, and one extra digit, and after waiting about 5 seconds, the click occurs and the LED flashes off and back on as well.

So the click that I am hearing is the actual disconnecting and reconnecting of the phone port on the modem like the reset that happens when a call ends and the other party hangs up... and you haven't yet. It's not a true reset of the line because you can continue to dial digits after the light comes back on.

This isn't limited to *82, as i thought. It seems to be various * codes. Here is a good test...

Dial *67 (the caller id block code) you will hear the three "doo doo doo" sound acknowledging the code. Now do nothing for 5-6 seconds and the port will disconnect for a second and come back causing a break in the dial tone.

So you dial *67 then do nothing else... hear the "doo doo doo" followed by dialtone "doooooooooooooo" a CLICK/pause, and then more dialtone "dooooooooooooooo" until it times out like normal. That click/pause is the issue.

I don't think that this would be a defective modem. More of a misconfiguration... because outside of dialing with a * code, this doesn't happen at all. You may have to be on one of these modems to experience it...

I know someone at work who just got a triple play with the 40mbs, switching off of DirecTV. I'm going to have them try my *67 test before I start to think about calling a tech.

I can't imagine trying to explain this to someone and even convincing them that it's not normal.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

So I have tested this further, using an Ariss 822 docsis 3.0 cable voice modem in addtion to the d2 modem I tried previously. I am unable to replicate this issue. After the initial stutter tone when you use a * code, the line remains continuous dial tone for for at least 10 seconds on every try.

I think that it is most likely an equipment issue. If you want to try going through a service call, we'd be glad to do that with you.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Well, I called today and had a billing related adjustment done on my account. After everything reset, the problem went away... completely.

So I guess the issue is solved, yet still a mystery! Thanks for the troubleshooting/help.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

How odd, I mean if I thought a hit/reset to the modem would fix such a problem I would have done so. Cable modems are weird.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

They are. When I first got the new modem, on occasion it would just leave me with a dead line. I'd have to call in to have it reset and they would tell me the modem didn't realize that a previous call had ended.

That hasn't happened in a long time though now.

My favorite was the grey shark-fin modem of the early 2000's. I had that until I signed up for phone service.