join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama

GREENSBORO, N.C. –The presidential election is just around the corner and voting issues have already become a problem in Guilford County.

On Monday, several voters complained that their electronic ballot machine cast the wrong vote. All the complaints were made by people who voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location.

One of the voters, Sher Coromalis, says she cast her ballot for Governor Mitt Romney, but every time she entered her vote the machine defaulted to President Obama.

“I was so upset that this could happen,” said Coromalis.

Guilford County Board of Elections Director George Gilbert says the problem arises every election. It can be resolved after the machine is re-calibrated by poll workers.

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said

»landing.newsinc.com/shared/video···23856051

»myfox8.com/2012/10/23/guilford-c···ndidate/

wtf??

This is a pretty critical bug here they pass off as minor.
It's like saying your vote means nothing and your right to vote is a joke.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

The entire question of the security and reliability of voting machines in general comes up each election cycle, and sometimes in between. There are always so many things that necessarily happen before the tabulated voting results appear that are invisible to the immediate voter that a degree of uncertainty will always exist - even with paper ballots. But the more that happens mechanically (and now electronically) between "casting" the vote and its appearance in a final tabulation, the more invisible will the process appear - and actually be. Since few things are more invisible than electrons, electronic voting machines produce the greatest feelings of voter disconnection between casting and counting a vote. Consequently, reliability and the visible perception of reliability of the machine are critically important... and the moment something of this sort occurs, the credibility of the entire process suffers.

quote:
... Guilford County Board of Elections Director George Gilbert says the problem arises every election. It can be resolved after the machine is re-calibrated by poll workers.

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said.
The problem should not arise "every election" - that's a sign of sloppy preparation/setup, lousy voting machine design/reliability, or... potential fraud. The election board needs to get it right or get somebody in who can get it right!
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to Cartel

I voted yesterday and was surprised that the ballot here was paper. Also the boxes next to the candidates were quite large and I had to stand there for 10 minutes completely filling them all in (as required). I hope they have plenty of black pens...

Not sure how our ballots will be counted but I doubt they could be misread--unless 1960's technology was being used.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to Cartel

Why complain? In reality its pointless. Compared to what the rights and law say governing the sacred US principles on its "citizens" voting the system nevertheless disgustingly plays out in reality as a farce dominated by scams, deception, fraud, and all sorts of dishonesty or the big fix. It's hopeless.

Every major candidate will have a large number of votes for them by:

Dead people

Non citizens

Someone other than who is registered at the polling place to vote

Voters that voted for one candidate have it counted for their opponent

Votes bought and paid for--AKA bribe

Voters that vote multiple times in the same election at multiple locations

And on and on and on...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

quote:
... Guilford County Board of Elections Director George Gilbert says the problem arises every election. It can be resolved after the machine is re-calibrated by poll workers.

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said.
The problem should not arise "every election" - that's a sign of sloppy preparation/setup, lousy voting machine design/reliability, or... potential fraud. The election board needs to get it right or get somebody in who can get it right!

How hard is it to design a machine that can accurately tabulate votes for #1 or #2 without needing to be "re-calibrated"?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

dbarber

join:2000-07-25
West Chester, PA
reply to Cartel

I'm glad to see that nothing has changed in Guilford County. I went to college in Greensboro forty years ago, and it was a fucked up place then. The powers that be were lazy then (except to go after hippies), and I guess they are still lazy.
Oh well

Donn
--
These opinions are strictly my own. However, if you really want them, we can negotiate.

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

I call BS. There are some really fu**en dumb people who vote (remember Florida?) and more than a few who have agendas and willing to lie. Now a dummy goes behind a screen and then claims her vote was changed. Oh gee I buy that.

Lets see... I want to program a machine to steal votes... but I'm to friggin stupid to do it so the voter doesn't know?

If you think voter fraud only happens with newer machines you don't the know history of the American voting experience. I trust the new voter machines more than I trust the old paper ballots. I know I have lived long enough to see both at work.

I hear more lies about voting fraud than I hear about Obama care... and that's a lot. No matter the outcome one or the other party will have agendas that will try to mitigate the results of the election and force it to the courts.

My tin hat warns me to get my guns cleaned because this could get real ugly and many are willing to feed the lies to further their agenda.

This is not your Father's USA anymore. Money, lies and pure force drives the politics and courts of today.

I use to love politics and the election process but I hate it now. Glad I don't have many years left to see it get worse than it is.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

Why complain? In reality its pointless. Compared to what the rights and law say governing the sacred US principles on its "citizens" voting the system nevertheless disgustingly plays out in reality as a farce dominated by scams, deception, fraud, and all sorts of dishonesty or the big fix. It's hopeless.

Every major candidate will have a large number of votes for them by:

Dead people

Non citizens

Someone other than who is registered at the polling place to vote

Voters that voted for one candidate have it counted for their opponent

Votes bought and paid for--AKA bribe

Voters that vote multiple times in the same election at multiple locations

And on and on and on...

Oops I forgot one the real big ones, the senior citizen that never met a ballot they could understand. They never know exactly who they really cast their vote for at the poll.

(I give you as the classic example, Florida in general, Dade County specifically, and the Gore v Bush election.)

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

quote:

Absolutely.
To elaborate on that looking at armed See Profile's call of BS.
If whoever is in charge of the systems integrity cannot flat out call BS on the matter they need to get someone capable enough to truthfully & confidently make that call without any doubt or reservations.
If that level of confidence in the system cannot be attained by an admin the system shouldn't be in place.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to StuartMW

We're in the stone age up here. We still do a paper ballot. Shade /mark the circle beside your candidate and you're done.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to armed

said by armed:

I call BS. There are some really fu**en dumb people who vote (remember Florida?) and more than a few who have agendas and willing to lie. Now a dummy goes behind a screen and then claims her vote was changed. Oh gee I buy that.

Uhmm... the director of the Board of Elections verified the machines had problems. Quoting once again:
quote:
Guilford County Board of Elections Director George Gilbert says the problem arises every election. It can be resolved after the machine is re-calibrated by poll workers.

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said.]
If it was just a "dummy" going behind a screen and claiming something, the election board would hardly have described it as an every-election recalibration problem with the machines.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel

Those machines are just a problem waiting for a place to happen. If you want secure voting, get back to paper and then scan them. You have a physical record that can then be tracked if there is a problem during the possible recounts...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Cartel

Not to worry. The UN will make sure nothing underhanded happens

»thehill.com/homenews/campaign/26···ud-group
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to coldmoon

said by coldmoon:

Those machines are just a problem waiting for a place to happen. If you want secure voting, get back to paper and then scan them. You have a physical record that can then be tracked if there is a problem during the possible recounts...

JMHO

Well put sir. There is a reason for the old saying, "Never put it in writing." Your example or statement is a confirmation of that in a a positive light.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Blackbird:

quote:

How hard is it to design a machine that can accurately tabulate votes for #1 or #2 without needing to be "re-calibrated"?

This question sounded ridiculous to me many years ago (and I knew a lot of simple ways how it could be solved with technology). But not anymore...

I've come to the inevitable conclusion, that the problem is not with machines, or technology, or whatever it seems to be on the surface. The problem is with us. We will always make the voting process convoluted to a degree, that we loose control (key word here) on understanding how it works, how to make it simple and reliable. Don't believe me? Just watch it in election cycles, one after another... It's like tax code in the US. Even if some understand that we need a simple one, it will never happen here. So, in future, when we'll stop using plan paper anymore, we will keep paper technology in place specifically to make those paper ballots...

And yes, the excuse ("machine .. needs to be corrected" or "re-calibrated") may sound ridiculous ... until you try to get the whole picture (if you can) what's going on here...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to Cartel

Let's not forget the chad or was it the dimple fiasco! Misscounted votes due to "the chad/dimples" not being clear...

Wait lemme see huge hole next to one name... That's who I voted for! But the other hole is halfway pressed maybe he wanted to vote for that chap!

Bah!

U.S. elections bore me to tears.

Canadian ones are useless too so it's not really any better.

Expand your moderator at work

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 recommendation

reply to GroovyPhoenx

Re: Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama

said by GroovyPhoenx:

Let's not forget the chad or was it the dimple fiasco! Misscounted votes due to "the chad/dimples" not being clear...

Wait lemme see huge hole next to one name... That's who I voted for! But the other hole is halfway pressed maybe he wanted to vote for that chap!

Bah!

U.S. elections bore me to tears.

Canadian ones are useless too so it's not really any better.

I understand where you are coming from!

You should at least for just the entertainment visit the posts in the Blue or and Red Room Forum if you want to see some "passions" about elections and politics. The old Roman Coliseum at the height of its gladiator days was kinder and gentler.

armed

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

Uhmm... the director of the Board of Elections verified the machines had problems. Quoting once again:
quote:

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said.]
If it was just a "dummy" going behind a screen and claiming something, the election board would hardly have described it as an every-election recalibration problem with the machines.

Let's see ... you're an election official... somebody says the machine changed their vote.... your choices are to call them a liar, call them incompetent or admit to a minor mistake and put an end to it.

How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?

Oh and they didn't test the machines or have a method to validate them before voting began? Were all machines doing the same thing and if not why not?

Come on...she punched the wrong fucking button and got a bunch of wimps to swear she didn't. Or better she punched the wrong button knowingly so she could raise doubts about the process.

To the paper addicts.... I know when votes disappeared, ballots were taken out of the box and replaced with others, votes disqualified because the mark was partially out side the box, you had to pass a voters test to vote, the recount was done 5 times and it was different each time. So yea ... paper rules.

In my area the machine tallies the votes and prints a record too. So you choose what you want, see a screen with all your choices, then given a chance to correct your vote, then it prints out a record (that stays in the machine), it then allows you to review the printout, then gives you another chance to correct your vote and finally cast the ballot with a corrected print out left in the machine. It's not perfect but I trust it more than a paper vote. Every time someone has charged the machine changed their ballot it was proven they were lying sacks of shit.

Those who don't like the outcome of elections are always confounded with the idea that people didn't agree with them. Ergo the machines, process or the count was rigged, or unknowingly broken and/or illegal's from Mars were allowed to vote. Fuck em all... if you believe all elections are fixed then you're an idiot.

The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. Machines can make it harder to cheat. It doesn't mean machines are perfect.

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

a radio interview with local WBT Anchor Tara Servatious, Susan reports that she has been keeping track of the number of votes in North Carolina of individuals over the age of 110 years and apparently we have quite a few, over 410 of the 110 year olds--to be exact-- actually voted via absentee ballot on October the 28th. Yes indeed, now it would appear that good ole NC has the market cornered on the Centenarian vote.

At latest count, Susan has garnered a total Absentee Ballot vote of over 2,660 people over the age of 110. Someone contact the Guiness Book and warm up the Ford, the Fountain of Youth exists and its right here in lovely NC. It's no wonder people are moving here in droves--maybe the use of tobacco isn't such a bad thing after all? But, on a more serious note, with all of the irregularities going on all over the place, we can now begin to wonder about a few things.

Apparently those ultra-healthy seniors over 110 have aged and are now astoundingly over 112 years old, and are still able to make it to the polls ahead of time

»www.examiner.com/article/north-c···e-of-112

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

And I thought Chicago, IL had the dead vote cornered
--

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cartel

Trouble everywhere.

As election nears, efforts intensify to misinform, pressure voters

»www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/···20121024
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

jmorison

join:2001-12-08
New Bern, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 recommendations

reply to armed

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!). There are several consecutive screens given the ballot size. The voter touches the screen, and a name is captured (but not voted) and then after all candidate selections, the voter reviews another screen(s) with all the selections listed again, then touches a Vote icon. I'd expect the lady saw the incorrect selection at first or on the review, tried to correct it, and then called over a poll official who reported it and presumably had it fixed before further use. I hope others were as observant. Our NC county went back to paper with fill-in-the circle, scanner ballot box, much better backup.
--
Suddenlink

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by jmorison:

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!).

Thank you for that clarification, without all the histrionics of the others posting in this thread.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to armed

said by armed:

... How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?
Come on...she punched the wrong fucking button and got a bunch of wimps to swear she didn't. Or better she punched the wrong button knowingly so she could raise doubts about the process.
The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. ...

Have you even read the article??
quote:
On Monday, several voters complained that their electronic ballot machine cast the wrong vote. All the complaints were made by people who voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location.
One of the voters, Sher Coromalis, says she cast her ballot for Governor Mitt Romney, but every time she entered her vote the machine defaulted to President Obama.
Marie Haydock, who also voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location, had the same problem.
I understand that you believe many voters are ignorant, complaining dummies. I understand that you also believe folks who make voting-machine-malfunction complaints are trying to steal the election. But this article is not about that. The article does not argue that the "process is invalid"... it does alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes. If that happens, people need to state it to the poll workers and insist their vote is really counted. I believe my vote is important enough to make sure of that.
--

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to jmorison

said by jmorison:

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!). There are several consecutive screens given the ballot size. The voter touches the screen, and a name is captured (but not voted) and then after all candidate selections, the voter reviews another screen(s) with all the selections listed again, then touches a Vote icon. I'd expect the lady saw the incorrect selection at first or on the review, tried to correct it, and then called over a poll official who reported it and presumably had it fixed before further use.

Exactly. This is how touch screens works.

It's interesting the headline says this:
"Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama on machine"

But it wasn't "cast" as in submitted as the title implies, the wrong name got activate/highlighted on the touch screen (screen or user malfunction can do that), and the voter had to reselect the correct choice, which she claims was twice, before she was able to highlight the name correctly and she then did cast her vote for the candidate (Romney) that she desired.

"After the third try, Coromalis says she was able to get her vote counted for Gov. Romney but was still annoyed."

armed

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

... How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?
The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. ...

Have you even read the article??
quote:
Marie Haydock, who also voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location, had the same problem.
I understand that you believe many voters are ignorant, complaining dummies. I understand that you also believe folks who make voting-machine-malfunction complaints are trying to steal the election. But this article is not about that. The article does not argue that the "process is invalid"... it does alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes. If that happens, people need to state it to the poll workers and insist their vote is really counted. I believe my vote is important enough to make sure of that.

Listen, that article was put on this forum to prove that the election process is corrupt (and of course it's the filthy Dems who are doing it... see the tombstone above). A minor glitch in a machine that is caught (if in fact that's what it was... and I don't believe it) is not worth the attention it brings here.

More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged. There is more than one post in this thread claiming exactly that and using this "minor glitch" as an example.

You and my niece would be great together... she firmly believes that all new Medicare applicants have to answer questions of whether they have guns in the house. If they admit to it they don't get Medicare. Oh and they're going after the veterans first as they are the ones most willing to fight to keep our country free. LOL Yep... she read it on the Interboob.

You know Mitt Romney said something in the first debate that I wish more people would believe... "we're all Americans and we all love our country and we can work together". Too bad the tin hats here don't believe that.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Cartel

quote:
“I was so upset that this could happen,” said Coromalis.
Time for ppl to WAKE UP and see this is all a game!!!!

Voting means nothing!! -- Its all rigged

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to armed

Re: Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama

said by armed:

Listen, that article was put on this forum to prove that the election process is corrupt (and of course it's the filthy Dems who are doing it... see the tombstone above). A minor glitch in a machine that is caught (if in fact that's what it was... and I don't believe it) is not worth the attention it brings here.
More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged.
You and my niece would be great together...
You know Mitt Romney said something in the first debate that I wish more people would believe... "we're all Americans and we all love our country and we can work together". Too bad the tin hats here don't believe that.

Wow! Just... wow. Take off your own tinfoil hat. I wouldn't pretend to know the OP's reason for posting the article. From my point of view, the article stands by itself... and the fact that a Romney vote was trying to show up on the machine as an Obama vote is incidental to the nature of the story - a malfunction was occurring. The problem was sorted out for the voters involved. The point is simply that these things happen and the takeaway ought to be that if you believe your vote is important, then be sure it registers correctly insofar as possible... and if that doesn't seem to be happening, then talk to the poll workers and get it straightened out. Whether it's a Democrat or Republican choice that's acting up. Nothing in what I've written in this thread seems partisan or radical to me, yet you seem to attack me for some sort of paranoia.

Whether a few posters in this or any other thread elect to make partisan observations doesn't have to spin other folks up. Please don't attribute to me what points of view or motivations others might have. That's the kind of broad-brush over-generalization and demonizing that is causing so much turmoil in our nation right now...
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Voting means nothing!! -- Its all rigged

Well damn. Wish I hadn't bothered voting a few days ago
--