Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Cartel

Re: Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama

And I thought Chicago, IL had the dead vote cornered
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cartel

Trouble everywhere.

As election nears, efforts intensify to misinform, pressure voters

»www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/···20121024
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

jmorison

join:2001-12-08
New Bern, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 recommendations

reply to armed

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!). There are several consecutive screens given the ballot size. The voter touches the screen, and a name is captured (but not voted) and then after all candidate selections, the voter reviews another screen(s) with all the selections listed again, then touches a Vote icon. I'd expect the lady saw the incorrect selection at first or on the review, tried to correct it, and then called over a poll official who reported it and presumably had it fixed before further use. I hope others were as observant. Our NC county went back to paper with fill-in-the circle, scanner ballot box, much better backup.
--
Suddenlink

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by jmorison:

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!).

Thank you for that clarification, without all the histrionics of the others posting in this thread.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to armed

said by armed:

... How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?
Come on...she punched the wrong fucking button and got a bunch of wimps to swear she didn't. Or better she punched the wrong button knowingly so she could raise doubts about the process.
The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. ...

Have you even read the article??
quote:
On Monday, several voters complained that their electronic ballot machine cast the wrong vote. All the complaints were made by people who voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location.
One of the voters, Sher Coromalis, says she cast her ballot for Governor Mitt Romney, but every time she entered her vote the machine defaulted to President Obama.
Marie Haydock, who also voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location, had the same problem.
I understand that you believe many voters are ignorant, complaining dummies. I understand that you also believe folks who make voting-machine-malfunction complaints are trying to steal the election. But this article is not about that. The article does not argue that the "process is invalid"... it does alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes. If that happens, people need to state it to the poll workers and insist their vote is really counted. I believe my vote is important enough to make sure of that.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to jmorison

said by jmorison:

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!). There are several consecutive screens given the ballot size. The voter touches the screen, and a name is captured (but not voted) and then after all candidate selections, the voter reviews another screen(s) with all the selections listed again, then touches a Vote icon. I'd expect the lady saw the incorrect selection at first or on the review, tried to correct it, and then called over a poll official who reported it and presumably had it fixed before further use.

Exactly. This is how touch screens works.

It's interesting the headline says this:
"Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama on machine"

But it wasn't "cast" as in submitted as the title implies, the wrong name got activate/highlighted on the touch screen (screen or user malfunction can do that), and the voter had to reselect the correct choice, which she claims was twice, before she was able to highlight the name correctly and she then did cast her vote for the candidate (Romney) that she desired.

"After the third try, Coromalis says she was able to get her vote counted for Gov. Romney but was still annoyed."

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

... How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?
Come on...she punched the wrong fucking button and got a bunch of wimps to swear she didn't. Or better she punched the wrong button knowingly so she could raise doubts about the process.
The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. ...

Have you even read the article??
quote:
On Monday, several voters complained that their electronic ballot machine cast the wrong vote. All the complaints were made by people who voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location.
One of the voters, Sher Coromalis, says she cast her ballot for Governor Mitt Romney, but every time she entered her vote the machine defaulted to President Obama.
Marie Haydock, who also voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location, had the same problem.
I understand that you believe many voters are ignorant, complaining dummies. I understand that you also believe folks who make voting-machine-malfunction complaints are trying to steal the election. But this article is not about that. The article does not argue that the "process is invalid"... it does alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes. If that happens, people need to state it to the poll workers and insist their vote is really counted. I believe my vote is important enough to make sure of that.

Listen, that article was put on this forum to prove that the election process is corrupt (and of course it's the filthy Dems who are doing it... see the tombstone above). A minor glitch in a machine that is caught (if in fact that's what it was... and I don't believe it) is not worth the attention it brings here.

More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged. There is more than one post in this thread claiming exactly that and using this "minor glitch" as an example.

You and my niece would be great together... she firmly believes that all new Medicare applicants have to answer questions of whether they have guns in the house. If they admit to it they don't get Medicare. Oh and they're going after the veterans first as they are the ones most willing to fight to keep our country free. LOL Yep... she read it on the Interboob.

You know Mitt Romney said something in the first debate that I wish more people would believe... "we're all Americans and we all love our country and we can work together". Too bad the tin hats here don't believe that.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Cartel

quote:
“I was so upset that this could happen,” said Coromalis.
Time for ppl to WAKE UP and see this is all a game!!!!

Voting means nothing!! -- Its all rigged

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to armed

said by armed:

Listen, that article was put on this forum to prove that the election process is corrupt (and of course it's the filthy Dems who are doing it... see the tombstone above). A minor glitch in a machine that is caught (if in fact that's what it was... and I don't believe it) is not worth the attention it brings here.
More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged.
You and my niece would be great together...
You know Mitt Romney said something in the first debate that I wish more people would believe... "we're all Americans and we all love our country and we can work together". Too bad the tin hats here don't believe that.

Wow! Just... wow. Take off your own tinfoil hat. I wouldn't pretend to know the OP's reason for posting the article. From my point of view, the article stands by itself... and the fact that a Romney vote was trying to show up on the machine as an Obama vote is incidental to the nature of the story - a malfunction was occurring. The problem was sorted out for the voters involved. The point is simply that these things happen and the takeaway ought to be that if you believe your vote is important, then be sure it registers correctly insofar as possible... and if that doesn't seem to be happening, then talk to the poll workers and get it straightened out. Whether it's a Democrat or Republican choice that's acting up. Nothing in what I've written in this thread seems partisan or radical to me, yet you seem to attack me for some sort of paranoia.

Whether a few posters in this or any other thread elect to make partisan observations doesn't have to spin other folks up. Please don't attribute to me what points of view or motivations others might have. That's the kind of broad-brush over-generalization and demonizing that is causing so much turmoil in our nation right now...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Well damn. Wish I hadn't bothered voting a few days ago
--

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to armed

said by armed:

More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged.

Say what? Are you our new authority on the intent of others? Did I miss that election? Because if I did, I demand a recount.

There have been ongoing documented cases of problems with voting machines since they first started being used years ago. That's generally on the companies that sell them and the local officials who run them. Computers of any kind aren't magic boxes, they're only as good as their design, their programming, and their implementation.

Closing your eyes to the facts is the part that doesn't serve democracy. Identify the problem and fix the problem, don't pretend it isn't there because it suits your agenda. Sheesh.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to armed

said by armed:

said by Dude111:

Time for ppl to WAKE UP and see this is all a game!!!!

Q.E.D.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Cartel

Votes flipped for Obama in NC are supposed to balance votes flipped for Mittens in OH.

/sarcasm, barely

armed

Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

said by armed:

Say what? Are you our new authority on the intent of others? Did I miss that election? Because if I did, I demand a recount.

There have been ongoing documented cases of problems with voting machines since they first started being used years ago. That's generally on the companies that sell them and the local officials who run them. Computers of any kind aren't magic boxes, they're only as good as their design, their programming, and their implementation.

Closing your eyes to the facts is the part that doesn't serve democracy. Identify the problem and fix the problem, don't pretend it isn't there because it suits your agenda. Sheesh.

You can pretend that the reason for posting this issue was to "alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes." The rest of us know the intent was to reinforce the perception that voting is a worthless act and that the results of this election should be held highly suspect by us all.

There has been problems with the process of voting since the day voting became a process. There is no evidence that the integrity of the voting process has been compromised or made worse since we began the use of machines... unless you pull it out of your ass. I read a lot about how it could be... but no proven facts that machines have undermined the results of any election.

Plus I see you are silent about proven voter fraud and manipulating voter counts when using the ultimately safe paper ballot. That signifies to me that you have an agenda that is served well if you can convince others that machines have somehow stolen our right to vote.

You are proof positive that ignorance easily becomes fact in today's society.

Here's my point... a problem in a voting machine.... assuming there really was one... proves nothing except there was a problem... maybe... in a voter machine. If you want to make that a conspiracy have at it.

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

We're in the stone age up here. We still do a paper ballot. Shade /mark the circle beside your candidate and you're done.

We do the same here in San Francisco and I'm very happy for it.

With the almost daily stories in the news and on this forum regarding hackers breaking into various "thought secure" companies, the last thing we need in our country is a loss in faith in our voting process. (That's what we have a Supreme Court for )

exocet_cm
You see, but you do not observe
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

said by coldmoon:

Those machines are just a problem waiting for a place to happen. If you want secure voting, get back to paper and then scan them. You have a physical record that can then be tracked if there is a problem during the possible recounts...

JMHO

Well put sir. There is a reason for the old saying, "Never put it in writing." Your example or statement is a confirmation of that in a a positive light.

Why not SCANTRON? We used em in school when I was growing up. Seemed to work pretty well.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

Popster27

join:2008-07-19
Placentia, CA

1 recommendation

It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes. -- Stalin

armed

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to exocet_cm

said by exocet_cm:

said by Blogger:

said by coldmoon:

Those machines are just a problem waiting for a place to happen. If you want secure voting, get back to paper and then scan them. You have a physical record that can then be tracked if there is a problem during the possible recounts...

JMHO

Well put sir. There is a reason for the old saying, "Never put it in writing." Your example or statement is a confirmation of that in a a positive light.

Why not SCANTRON? We used em in school when I was growing up. Seemed to work pretty well.

Never heard about scantron problems eh?

I have... scanner misreads the dots, color outside the dot and the whole ballot can be discarded, paper doesn't line up right and it misreads all the vote, ballots not printed to the right size and lastly the ability to have it count wrong (or in the paranoid mind be rigged). Oh and don't forget the scanner destroying the ballots in a paper jam.

There is no perfect ballot system and none that is any safer than the machines. The reason some areas are still using paper is the same reason some areas still don't pasteurize milk, get their kids proper vaccinations, or think god designed women's bodies so they can't get pregnant if raped.

Join the tin hatters... it's a fine place for the ignorant to live.
Expand your moderator at work

Red Green
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Possum Lodge
reply to Cartel

We had the same problem here in St. Louis. I wonder if they are the same model machines...

»www.kmov.com/home/Voter-says-vot···571.html
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

Military Absentee Ballots Not Always Counted

Thousands of absentee ballots cast by military service personnel often go uncounted, according to election experts who say the problem has always existed but is even more of an issue in presidential election years

The project, which tracks military votes, found in 2010 that only 4.5 percent of the 2 million military and overseas voters reported to the Election Assistance Commission were able to cast absentee ballots that were actually counted. Meanwhile, the overall national voter participation rate for the 2010 election was 41.6 percent.

»www.newsmax.com/US/absentee-ball···d/443513

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Re: Military Absentee Ballots Not Always Counted

I know all Americans want our men and women serving in the Armed Forces the opportunity to vote.

From the your linked article, it sounds like the problem is similar to civilian Americans who move frequently and forget to advise their local jurisdictions of a change of address, or re-register in their new place of residence.

Cartel

Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

Now in Ohio...it selects Obama when Romney it pressed.
Coincidence?

»www.marionstar.com/article/20121···_check=1

MARION — Joan Stevens was one of several early voters at the polls on Monday. But when Stevens tried to cast her ballot for president, she noticed a problem.

Upon selecting “Mitt Romney” on the electronic touch screen, Barack Obama’s name lit up.

It took Stevens three tries before her selection was accurately recorded.

“You want to vote for who you want to vote for, and when you can’t it’s irritating,” Stevens said.

Stevens said she alerted Jackie Smith, a board of elections member who was present. Smith declined to comment, but Stevens says she mentioned that the machine had been having problems all day

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

LOL

"Are you sure you want to vote for...
Yes
Are you really really sure you want to vote for...
YES
For real?
YES YES YES!
Come on now. I'm sure you'd rather vote for...
WTF?
Ok ok. I'll cast you vote then.
. o O (Finally)
Just to check. Are you sure you're sure?
Oh f... it!
Hello?"
--

Cartel

Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

Wow whats going on ?

Researchers found a consistent pattern of vote flipping for Mitt Romney in the 2012 Republican primaries. Will that transfer to the general election, asks Michael Collins?

A group of independent researchers caught a pattern of apparent vote flipping during the 2012 Republican primaries that consistently favored Mitt Romney. A form of election fraud, vote flipping occurs when votes are changed from one candidate to another or several others during electronic voting and vote tabulation.

»www.americanpolitics.com/index.p···Itemid=2

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEBwAIlAdU

armed

Reviews:
·Charter

And so the setting of the stage to overturn the vote of the people has now officially begun:

»www.rgj.com/article/20121101/NEW···ext|NEWS

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by armed:

And so the setting of the stage to overturn the vote of the people has now officially begun ...

Unless, of course, some of the votes of 'the people' are fraudulent or have been incorrectly entered... or the "voters" are unregistered, dead, or non-existent. There are always two sides to every issue, and much of the time, there will be at least some validity to both sides' charges. As proven in almost every election, corruption and voter fraud cross party lines.
--

armed

Reviews:
·Charter

said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

And so the setting of the stage to overturn the vote of the people has now officially begun ...

Unless, of course, some of the votes of 'the people' are fraudulent or have been incorrectly entered... or the "voters" are unregistered, dead, or non-existent. There are always two sides to every issue, and much of the time, there will be at least some validity to both sides' charges. As proven in almost every election, corruption and voter fraud cross party lines.

And yet no one ever proves it. Oh well who cares?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by armed:

said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

And yet no one ever proves it. ...

Hmm. Many of the 492,000 Google hits on "voter fraud convictions" would seem to indicate otherwise.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

As proven in almost every election, corruption and voter fraud cross party lines.

And that is especially true in close elections. Since this one comes down to the results in a handful of states expect questionable stuff to happen in those states. On Nov 7th expect all sides to be screaming no matter who wins.
--