All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

[iPad] Quick iPad poll...mini, maxi or other?

Poll
Assuming you were in the market to buy a tablet which one might you consider?

Mini

4th Gen iPad

Non-Apple tablet

Earlier generation iPad

Not sure

I'll never buy a tablet

Votes:62

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Mike

Mod

Apple did something they never did before ever yesterday.

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle.

I assume it's in response to the Nexus 10, which the iPad 4 even doesn't even get close to hardware wise. While Apple is a hardware company, iOS is why they're a software company. If I could run iOS natively on a Nexus 10 over an iPad, I would.

I'm not sure if I like that.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Mike:

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle....

According to an analyst I listed to this AM, (a few years ago) the iPod mini was released at the same time as a product refresh release of a full sized iPod, so there was precedence. As it is, the entire line was refreshed in the last 6 weeks. Further, the 'aged' iPad (3rd Gen) wasn't selling all that well and had the same processor as the iPad2, so the Mini would have cannibalized any potential (full sized) iPad purchase. Now, instead of a relatively stale product there is an option for the full sized buyer (with an upgraded chip!).

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I'm preordering the black iPad 4 32g Friday and sell my iPad 3 in December.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
If I was still hanging onto my first iPad, I'd jump all over the 4th gen iPad. I upgraded to the 3rd gen for just 2 reasons. Retina and its thinner. I use my iPad as an eReader so I won't be needing an upgrade for a long time.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Majestik

to Majestik
eBay has 3's being bid for >$450 so anyone disgruntled with theirs can easily sell and up grade relatively painlessly

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
I didn’t think I was considering making a change but I might.

I have a 3rd gen iPad 16GB WiFi model. When I bought it I sold my first gen iPad shortly after. It might make more sense to just buy the new iPad now and sell my 3rd gen rather then hold onto it for another round.

This time I might step up to the 32GB version though as 16GB isn’t really doing it for me anymore.
said by haroldo:

said by Mike:

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle....

According to an analyst I listed to this AM, (a few years ago) the iPod mini was released at the same time as a product refresh release of a full sized iPod, so there was precedence. As it is, the entire line was refreshed in the last 6 weeks. Further, the 'aged' iPad (3rd Gen) wasn't selling all that well and had the same processor as the iPad2, so the Mini would have cannibalized any potential (full sized) iPad purchase. Now, instead of a relatively stale product there is an option for the full sized buyer (with an upgraded chip!).

That might be so but it does feel like a preemptive strike against another new tablet release and OS release also slated for October 26 th.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Majestik

Premium Member

to Majestik
said by Majestik:

I'm preordering the black iPad 4 32g Friday and sell my iPad 3 in December.

Thats what I'm going to do. but I might get an ipad mini in addition to my iPad 3

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Surface for me. Already have an Android tablet (running, barely, jelly bean) and the wife has an iPad2. Kid has iP3 via her Highschool. Want a tablet that can do both consumption and work.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Surface for me. Already have an Android tablet (running, barely, jelly bean) and the wife has an iPad2. Kid has iP3 via her Highschool. Want a tablet that can do both consumption and work.

If by "work" you mean anything beyond Office, you might want to wait for Surface Pro. The just-released Surface RT can't run any existing x86 applications, even though it inexplicably contains a Classic Desktop view. The bundled Office suite and Internet Explorer are, I believe, the only "desktop style" apps that run on it.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle.

I assume it's in response to the Nexus 10, which the iPad 4 even doesn't even get close to hardware wise. While Apple is a hardware company, iOS is why they're a software company. If I could run iOS natively on a Nexus 10 over an iPad, I would.

I'm not sure if I like that.

I think this move is mostly about ensuring that the lightning connector is in play with all of their devices, especially before the holiday shopping season begins in earnest. Apple's control over the new connection type is going to bring in bags of cash from consumers and, more importantly,from any third-party manufacturer that wishes to make compatible products for iDevices.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Indeed but they are still selling the iPad 2 and all the iPhone models save for the iPhone 5 have the older connector.

***edit***

Also the long delayed iMac coupled with the early quasi preemptive new iPad release doesn’t make much sense together. Unless, Apple just doesn’t see these somewhat neglected products (like the Mac Pro and iMac) as contributing enough to the revenue stream.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

iMac is already 100+ days late

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

said by JohnInSJ:

If by "work" you mean anything beyond Office, you might want to wait for Surface Pro. The just-released Surface RT can't run any existing x86 applications, even though it inexplicably contains a Classic Desktop view. The bundled Office suite and Internet Explorer are, I believe, the only "desktop style" apps that run on it.

Yep, I know all about the various options. Obviously an arm-based recompile of windows running on an arm CPU isn't going to run x86 binaries

I mean "work" - office. One Note. Plus, whatever comes down the pike later. (hint - this is why there is a desktop. Wonder how powershell will work on it, it's supposed to be there.)

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Yep, I know all about the various options. Obviously an arm-based recompile of windows running on an arm CPU isn't going to run x86 binaries

I mean "work" - office. One Note. Plus, whatever comes down the pike later. (hint - this is why there is a desktop. Wonder how powershell will work on it, it's supposed to be there.)

OK, just checking. For me, "work" would mean Visual Studio, SQL Server manager, Photoshop, et al. Although expecting such things to be useful on a tablet may already be expecting too much!

I work for a Microsoft partner and we have a Surface due in tomorrow. I'm actually interested to see how it works, although the Pro model would be more my speed. (Though I can't deny I'd enjoy a Surface RT as a writing tool, since I do all my writing in Word as it is, and there are no decent iOS alternatives that don't have issues.)

Nevertheless, I'll be ordering an iPad 4 for the home as my wife is a serious Apple fanatic, and we both carry iPhones.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I didnt think I'd care about the iPad mini, but I'm starting to lick my lips a little bit. my iPad3 rides shotgun with me always. I use it all the time. Having a mini could be the new shotgun and keep the maxi at home, maybe to do some different things. I'll just have to stay away from the Apple store or Best Buy, because if I touch one my debit card will run to the register

But if I do that I may not want the new gen ipod (pink). I feel like I need a new iPod. Just to fix my cravings I guess

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

mromero to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
if the rumors are true about the Nexus 10 tablet (300 ppi, 10 inch screen 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, Pure Android 4.1 JB or KLP, and priced competitively with the iPad 4, Samsung AMOLED) I am going Nexus 10.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

said by mromero:

if the rumors are true about the Nexus 10 tablet (300 ppi, 10 inch screen 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, Pure Android 4.1 JB or KLP, and priced competitively with the iPad 4, Samsung AMOLED) I am going Nexus 10.

this might make me lick my lips even more then get my mini as the sidekick

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

said by JohnInSJ:

OK, just checking. For me, "work" would mean Visual Studio, SQL Server manager, Photoshop, et al. Although expecting such things to be useful on a tablet may already be expecting too much!

Yep - the same for me - I have a workstation-class laptop, the surface would let me not drag it into meetings yet sill let me do pretty much everything I need to do in a meeting seamlessly. The PRO probably more so, but that's not out yet.