Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo

Re: [iPad] Quick iPad poll...mini, maxi or other?

Apple did something they never did before ever yesterday.

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle.

I assume it's in response to the Nexus 10, which the iPad 4 even doesn't even get close to hardware wise. While Apple is a hardware company, iOS is why they're a software company. If I could run iOS natively on a Nexus 10 over an iPad, I would.

I'm not sure if I like that.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
said by Mike:

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle....

According to an analyst I listed to this AM, (a few years ago) the iPod mini was released at the same time as a product refresh release of a full sized iPod, so there was precedence. As it is, the entire line was refreshed in the last 6 weeks. Further, the 'aged' iPad (3rd Gen) wasn't selling all that well and had the same processor as the iPad2, so the Mini would have cannibalized any potential (full sized) iPad purchase. Now, instead of a relatively stale product there is an option for the full sized buyer (with an upgraded chip!).

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

They preemptively released a product in response to something else against their own release cycle.

I assume it's in response to the Nexus 10, which the iPad 4 even doesn't even get close to hardware wise. While Apple is a hardware company, iOS is why they're a software company. If I could run iOS natively on a Nexus 10 over an iPad, I would.

I'm not sure if I like that.

I think this move is mostly about ensuring that the lightning connector is in play with all of their devices, especially before the holiday shopping season begins in earnest. Apple's control over the new connection type is going to bring in bags of cash from consumers and, more importantly,from any third-party manufacturer that wishes to make compatible products for iDevices.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
Indeed but they are still selling the iPad 2 and all the iPhone models save for the iPhone 5 have the older connector.

***edit***

Also the long delayed iMac coupled with the early quasi preemptive new iPad release doesn’t make much sense together. Unless, Apple just doesn’t see these somewhat neglected products (like the Mac Pro and iMac) as contributing enough to the revenue stream.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
iMac is already 100+ days late