Premium Member

to howardfine

Re: Wayland 1.0 Officially Released

But Wayland can do it as well as X

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

I don't think that's the same thing. On my notebook I want to ssh -Y 'openoffice' and run OO on my notebook through my office machine from anywhere. Don't have time to follow the video but he's doing a lot more work than I have to do with X.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

I don't think that's the same thing. On my notebook I want to ssh -Y 'openoffice' and run OO on my notebook through my office machine from anywhere. Don't have time to follow the video but he's doing a lot more work than I have to do with X.

When thin-client tools are stable in Wayland I hope they do a better job than X. The X network protocol is quite expensive making it mostly useless over the Internet.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by Maxo:

The X network protocol is quite expensive making it mostly useless over the Internet.

As one who uses it every time I'm on the road, I argue that's not true. More importantly, X can do it. Wayland cannot.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

said by Maxo:

The X network protocol is quite expensive making it mostly useless over the Internet.

As one who uses it every time I'm on the road, I argue that's not true. More importantly, X can do it. Wayland cannot.

Wayland can't tie your shoes either... I'm not quite understanding the point here, at all. Wayland also doesn't do sound or defragment a filesystem. Wayland is an API and protocol between clients and a compositor. The client can be local or remote. The compositor can be local or remote. Use whatever network protocol you wish, VNC/NX/XDMCP, blah, blah, blah... go wild. Wayland will connect the client and compositor for all of it.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by markofmayhem:

Wayland can't tie your shoes either... I'm not quite understanding the point here, at all. Wayland also doesn't do sound or defragment a filesystem.

And given that this is V1.0.0 that nobody actually expects to see in any real production environment, how much can one expect from it. Right now there is only the promise of a stable API that can be coded against without fear of constant breakage from a shifting protocol.
It is well understood that as we see Wayland trickle into distros, we will still be seeing X shipping for the foreseeable future because nobody expects that Wayland can reasonably replace X today. So pointing out that Wayland is not a good replacement for X today is not a criticism, as even the most avid of Wayland supporters acknowledge this.
tld
join:2002-12-19

tld to howardfine

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

said by Maxo:

Agreed. I do this all the time on both my LAN and over the Internet. The great thing about it is that it allows you to run graphical programs on headless machines that aren't even running X themselves. I do this with my MythTV backend all the time. I'd miss it for sure.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by tld:

said by howardfine:

said by Maxo:

I'd miss it for sure.

No you wouldn't miss it... it isn't going anywhere!

Wayland does not replace X, it replaces the display module of the X server that communicates between client and compositor. Pictures above for those having trouble reading that sentence over the last 2 years.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

GraysonPeddi to tld

to tld
What pictures are you referring to?

(Thought I'm replying to markofmayhem but it mentioned "tld." Whoops.)

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by GraysonPeddi:

What pictures are you referring to?

(Thought I'm replying to markofmayhem but it mentioned "tld." Whoops.)

Yours.

This may help as well, it has pictures and a video:
»vignatti.wordpress.com/2 ··· wayland/

And this, which explains nicely how Wayland is designed to be alongside X, not replacing it; it also dives into the "Intel only" problem (no pics or vids, sorry):
»arstechnica.com/informat ··· wayland/