uniqs

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Jeep sometimes doesnt want to start.....

2008 jeep patriot with 58k miles.

lately, when im trying to start my jeep, it doesnt want to crank over. Put the key in, getting ready to turn it on, fans and radio turns on but when I try to crank it, nothing. When you do try to crank it, fan and radio turns off to start the engine but you cant hear anything, just pure silence. you let go of key to stop cranking and the fans and radio turn back on. try to crank it again, nothing. but when you take out the key and try to start it again, voila, it starts. Knowing the battery had some corrosion and that we bought the jeep in july of 08, we replaced the battery and its still doing the same thing. It would only happen every so often before but now its happening like once or twice a week.

any ideas what might be going?

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

neutral safety switch comes to mind. dirty-corroded connections at starter comes to mind.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to Duramax08

to Duramax08
Since re-inserting the key fixes it, I'm betting it has something to do with the transponder key. Well, that and I'm assuming all Chrysler products use transponder keys these days...

If you have another ignition key, try using it to see if the problem continues.
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn to Duramax08

to Duramax08
Not sure about Jeep products but I know how Ford and Toyota work. When cranking with a security key that is not known to the computer the vehicle engine will crank. It will not start as the ignition is disabled. Starter whirs, parts spin, but with no ignition all it does is make noise and drain the battery.

I would suspect something in the ignition switch.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08
Bad starter most likely. Test for 12v at the solenoid from the ignition switch. If the 12v is there then the starter is likely full of dust from the worn out brushes and it binds. You can try tapping the starter body with a hammer next time it does not click or try to turn over. If that works then it means you need a starter.
sneakaround
join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY

sneakaround

Had a similar problem with my 97 jeep Wrangler, it would start sometimes and not start others. It turned to be a bad relay.