spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

4 edits

Terabit

Ahh the median iPhone user...

Just goes to show how clueless the typical Iphone consumer is regarding wireless. Verizon at least has the #1 ranked CS and world leading network to back their prices up. AT&T (i.e. Cingular) wireless is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and a half-baked service, yet iPhone users still flock to them.

On a side note, of course ATT & VZ have all but abandoned the wireline market, where they have to actually earn their revenue legitimately. Instead, they now favor the cash cow wireless sector, that they essentially own. And the American consumer is happy to pay for it.

We were recently ranked as being up to 10 times more expensive than carriers abroad for data. Therefore, how much more expensive are we going to be in the next study... considering our main carriers now charge $40 to $50 for just 1 gig. In addition, charge you extra for the 'luxury' of being able to share this overpriced 1 gig.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

2 recommendations

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

Re: Ahh the clueless iPhone consumer

What does any of this have anything to do with the iPhone or iPhone consumer? Any smartphone on Verizon requires a data share plan. And Verizon sold 3.1M iPhones and 3.4M Androids last quarter. By your logic, the average Android consumer is even more clueless.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

2 recommendations

NY Tel

Premium Member

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

What does any of this have anything to do with the iPhone or iPhone consumer? Any smartphone on Verizon requires a data share plan. And Verizon sold 3.1M iPhones and 3.4M Androids last quarter. By your logic, the average Android consumer is even more clueless.

Because it would/could appear that the poster is just as clueless?
Terabit

1 edit

Terabit to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

First off, your typical android user is much more tech savvy than an iPhone user. The fact that VZ has the most customers, yet sold less iPhones during the same quarter says a lot.

You missed my point. Iphone users are still flocking to AT&T and paying close to what you pay for VZ, yet receiving a significantly worse cellular experience. That is my point.

Of course both carriers are a rip off but what choice do people have...

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

Bootes

Premium Member

You need to realize that different people have different needs from their cell service and just because AT&T is bad where you are, doesn't mean that they're bad for everyone.

AT&T is the only one with cell service that works inside my house. AT&T was the only one with a cell tower at my university, making it the only one that worked in the underground areas of the university. AT&T makes it much easier for me to swap between phones and use my phone overseas.

These are/were all very important issues to me. At the same, I rarely don't have signal in a place Verizon does.

There are are places where AT&T has better coverage and their are places were Verizon had better coverage. Does one have better coverage overall? I don't know and I don't care and neither should most people. I care about coverage in the areas I go and not the places I will never go to.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Ctrl Alt Del to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

First off, your typical android user is much more tech savvy than an iPhone user. The fact that VZ has the most customers, yet sold less iPhones during the same quarter says a lot.

Sounds like a personal opinion lacking proof. And any proof you though you had from this article is actually wrong, see below.
said by Terabit:

You missed my point. Iphone users are still flocking to AT&T and paying close to what you pay for VZ, yet receiving a significantly worse cellular experience. That is my point.

That chart doesn't show users flocking anywhere. The majority of the 4.7M iPhone activations were existing customers buying a new phone.

AT&T only had a 678,000 net increase in total wireless subscribers. Verizon Wireless, meanwhile, added 1.5 million retail postpaid subscribers. People are actually flocking to Verizon by a factor of 3x. And the iPhone accounted for 46% of the 6.8 million smartphones Verizon sold in the quarter.

All those clueless iPhone consumers? Not quite. They're jumping ship to Verizon and half of Verizon's customers are buying iPhones.
Expand your moderator at work

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit

Re: Ahh the clueless iPhone consumer

said by Terabit:

Just goes to show you clueless the average Iphone consumer is regarding wireless. Verizon at least has the #1 ranked CS and world leading network to back their prices up. AT&T (i.e. Cingular) wireless is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and a half-baked service, yet iPhone users still flock to them.

On a side note, of course ATT & VZ have all but abandoned the wireline market, where they have to actually earn their revenue legitimately. Instead, they now favor the cash cow wireless sector, that they essentially own. And the American consumer is happy to pay for it.

We were recently ranked as being up to 10 times more expensive than carriers abroad for data. Therefore, how much more expensive are we going to be in the next study... considering our main carriers now charge $40 to $50 for just 1 gig. In addition, charge you extra for the 'luxury' of being able to share this overpriced 1 gig.

As a recent switcher from AT&T to VZW I can honestly say that I don't think the disparity is as great as it once was. Granted with VZW I can use my phone at work around the hospital where AT&T doesn't get signal, but that's only because VZW has an antenna on top of our hospital...

The data speeds are slightly better on LTE with VZW here but AT&T has better 3G ("4G" HSPA+) speeds when you don't get LTE coverage...

And actually I have to admit I did use that talk & data feature on the AT&T iPhone a lot more than I realized - I hope VoLTE comes sooner rather than later!
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Get a real smartphone. Most, if not all of Verizon and Sprint’s newer Android phones can do simultaneous data and voice over 3G. The lame iPhone can’t even do that on when on 4G with the EVDO providers. Why people continue to use that inferior POS phone is beyond me.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

1 recommendation

Lone Wolf to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

Verizon at least has the #1 ranked CS and world leading network

Really, is that a fact? Or maybe just your opinion.

China Mobile has the "World's leading network" with half a BILLION subscribers.

»www.gurufocus.com/news/1 ··· he-world

It’s the largest cell phone provider in the world... It has more customers than AT&T (T), Verizon (VZ) and Sprint (S) combined. In fact, with 650 million subscribers, this company has twice as many customers as the United States has people.

Don't try to use your Verizon phone in Europe because you probably can't. World's leading network? lol

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Get a real smartphone.

Almost half of Verizon and almost 3/4 of AT&T customers are buying a real smartphone: an iPhone, a platform that had a responsive UI and excellent web browser long before Jelly Bean brought parity. Being able to do simultaneous data and voice apparently is not an important feature according to the buying public.

Android is an excellent portable OS, but wasn't until recently a good phone OS. iOS is moving in the other direction.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

1 recommendation

Count Zero to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Pfft I'd sooner use a dumbphone than a POS android. You couldn't pay me to use an Android phone. I've converted nearly all of my friends from Android to iPhone without even trying b/c iOS is still better than Android and the iPhone is better hardware.

Android makers can copy-paste the iPhone and iOS it however they want phandroid but if I wanted a 5", 2lb phone just for simultaneous voice-data I guess my only option would be an Android - but in that case I'd just go back to AT&T and stick with an iPhone.
Count Zero

Count Zero to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
I disagree, iOS hasn't advanced as rapidly as Android - but 99% of the advances in Android were just copying iOS to catch up and making small, incremental at best, updates to what iOS already had.

Android still isn't secure, their marketplace is filled with crapware and all of the hardware in the Android-world is poorly stylized after the iPhone and tends to be too large to carry comfortably in pant pockets.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
The iPhone is not a real smartphone. It's a trendy toy for 13 year old girls and for the technological challenged . Let's see, MMS, app switching, multi tasking, copy/paste, real turn by turn nav, all things iOS lacked. Apple finally caught up, but now the iToy lacks DLNA support, NFC, the screen is still too small. Not to mention no expandable memory . But hey, the head phone jack is now ON THE BOTTOM! Talk about revolutionary!

And FYI - The web browser on iOS, Safari Mobile is an utter joke. It sucks. Dolphin HD and Chrome completely destroy Safari.
Happydude32

Happydude32 to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
quote:
but 99% of the advances in Android were just copying iOS to catch up and making small, incremental at best, updates to what iOS already had.
iMessage – Direct rip off of RIMs BBM

Notification Bar –Rip of off Android

Copy & Paste – My Windows Mobile PDA from 2002 could do that, my iPhone in 2010 could not

MMS – Didn’t get that until the iPhone had been out for a few years

App switching – Supported on Android natively well before iOS

Multitasking – Sure you could multitask on the iPhone, so long as you wanted to use the iPod app simultaneously with another app. Wanna listen to Pandora instead, sorry you're SOL. Could do that on Android though.

Turn by Turn Navigation – See the new Apple Maps or iMaps or whatever they call their abortion of a competitor to Google Maps

So now, what features exactly did Google copy from Apple? And don't say Siri, as voice assistant apps like Vlingo have been around on Android for a while. Android also had the whole Voice to Text thing before iOS.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

1 recommendation

Count Zero

Premium Member

Only the entire interface. See Android pre 2007.

And many of those "lacking" features were only present on android slightly before they were on the iPhone, Apple has a much more stable release cycle tied to the annual hardware updates, that explains most of the missing features. Google maps not having turn by turn on the iPhone was largely due to the Apple and Google dispute.

And so we're clear, while you claim Apple maps is an abortion, research groups have noted that very very few actual customers have had any significant problems with them. I personally have used them several times without any errors at all. I think that android users are just upset the apples maps look so nice, latch onto a few small errors and pretend the sky is falling.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
Only the entire interface. See Android pre 2007
Lemme guess, nothing but rows of icons? A similar boring UI as the iPhone. Fast forward to the past few years and we have widgets that allow for more customization. But then again, Apple users no nothing about customizations they just obey the commands of their leaders.
quote:
And many of those "lacking" features were only present on android slightly before they were on the iPhone, Apple has a much more stable release cycle tied to the annual hardware updates, that explains most of the missing features.
Go ahead, keep telling yourself that, and maybe you'll eventually believe that. I'm sure Apple is waiting for DLNA and NFC to 'improve' and be ‘more stable’ as well.
quote:
And so we're clear, while you claim Apple maps is an abortion, research groups have noted that very very few actual customers have had any significant problems with them. I personally have used them several times without any errors at all.
If you say so...
quote:
think that android users are just upset the apples maps look so nice, latch onto a few small errors and pretend the sky is falling.
Now that's pretty funny! After owning an iPhone for 16 long painstaking months, I can't think of a single thing I'm ‘upset’ at with Android over Apple. I've been using Google Nav just about every day for the past two years to do my job and never had an issue. I’d be worried if my livelihood relied on Apple Maps. And I’d rather have functionality over looks, not that I think anything on the iPhone is anything special to look at.

Sounds like someone is a little testy that Apple, while they promote themselves as some type of premium, state of the art, cutting edge company, is just the opposite and is often playing catch-up. HTC is coming out with a real 1080p display for their new One X. You Apple users will say, ‘why does anyone need a 1080p screen on a phone’. But then in three years or so when the iPhone 8S has a display resolution around 1920x1080, because heaven forbid if Apple has a standard display not some made up ‘Retina’ thing, it will be the best thing ever.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

1 recommendation

Count Zero

Premium Member

Aww… Another phandroid in denial.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Yep in complete denial. Meanwhile you can't name any specific features Google copied from Apple. Nor reply to any of my points directly.

I'd rather be a Phandroid than a Sheep.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

1 edit

Count Zero

Premium Member

Again, have you ever look at what android was pre-2007, everything android is now stems from the "Original Sin" – the blatant ripoff of iOS. The incremental updates the android has made "over" iOS are all due to that, and Apple's software release cycle being later in the year than android.

And in my experience, having used my brothers Motorola droid, and several droids of other people at work, iOS has always been more stable, the hardware has always worked better, and faster and more responsive, and has been less crash prone.

One important thing my iPhone has done very well since the 3GS is exchange compatibility, my friend with droids all had to pay for Good email software, Apple had it built in. Media has always been better on the iPhone. There are more high-quality, medical apps on the iPhone.

The iPhone screen blows away every other display I've seen next to it – including the Samsung galaxy three.

With the exception of widgets on the home screen, I have never seen Android to do anything better than the iPhone, and most things on android have been buggy in my experience.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

1 recommendation

ToxicDrew to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
Don't argue with it. The size of his phone makes it feel cocky and over confident about his tech knowledge. It has no life and must make itself feel good putting down others by making up statistics he pulled out of his butt. He seriously needs to be medicated so that he may realize he is just a green sheep in the black barn making fun of the white sheep in the red barn.
Terabit

Terabit to Bootes

to Bootes
First off, if you do not care, then why are you talking about it? Try using AT&T 3G in Manhattan and then come tell me how awesome they are.

Not to mention, you have these things called independent studies that analyze the wireless sector. Root Metrics for example illustrates that VZ is #1 across the board in NYC.

Like you stated, VZ works well wherever 'you' go. However, that doesn't reflect the experience of 310 million people. There have been many times that I have had Zero coverage right in central park with ATT. Whereas, with no bars but a D, I am able to make a clear call with Verizon.

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

Bootes

Premium Member

Once again, the point is that coverage depends on location and who has better coverage depends on where you want to use your phone.

Saying AT&T has poor coverage where you frquently use your cell phone and so you refuse to use their service is fine. Saying that every person that uses AT&T is an idiot is idiotic.
Terabit

Terabit to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
Yes the statement was empirical, however, Android is a lot more user configurable than IOS. I cannot even change the MMS settings on the iPhone without a hack.

Look at all of the custom roms and so forth avialble for android. Look at all of the tech apps, like the detailed cellular wireless network apps available. Whereas, without jailbreaking, even then, you are extremely limited in this aspect with IOS.

I have two handsets, an iphone 4s and a SGIII. I have the freedom to configure lots more than I can on the iphone. Love both phones, however, with the SGIII, there are no limits as to what I can do with it, what I can run, or how I can customize the handset. These are all things that someone techy would do.

Those who are not techy, have zero interest in any of that. Therefore, it's easy to see that both users and the apps available for android are more IT inclined.

----------

Signing up with the same carrier is essentially choosing the carrier.
Terabit

1 edit

Terabit to Bootes

to Bootes
First point is common sense.

I rely on the various data and independent reputable rankings that compare and contrast actual network performance, in various 'cities' throughout America. Most illustrate time and time again that VZ is #1. Then you have the Customer Service side of things, where AT&T is ranked dead last.

These are not my opinion, these are independent sources there for all to see. Not sure why you fail to grasp this concept and I am certainly not telling you what or who to use.
Terabit

Terabit to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf
I meant in terms of reliability and coast to coast network. They also has the largest LTE network on the planet.
Terabit

Terabit to Count Zero

to Count Zero
Guys, not sure what you are arguing about. As of 2012, Win 8 mobile beats both hands down. The live tiles concept is fantastic and the GUI, even on a single core, is smooth.

Cannot wait for the Nokia 920 to come out.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

1 edit

Ctrl Alt Del to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

The iPhone is not a real smartphone. It's a trendy toy for 13 year old girls and for the technological challenged .

I'm not going to argue with someone suffering from a Reality Distortion Field, as it's clear you are unable to see what made and makes the iPhone great. (This does not mean that Android is bad. They aren't mutually exclusive in excellence.)
said by Happydude32:

And FYI - The web browser on iOS, Safari Mobile is an utter joke. It sucks. Dolphin HD and Chrome completely destroy Safari.

However, this is one area where you are completely wrong. Mobile Safari was and is far away superior in standards compliance, HTML5 support, and speed over the Android Browser.

Mobile Safari has always offered better standards support: »www.infoworld.com/d/html ··· y-175371

And it's also faster. When Anand tested the iPhone 5, Safari beat every single ARM based Android phone in every test suite. Only a phone running an Intel Atom can keep up: »www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· eview/10

It wasn't until Chrome on Android came out that Google caught up to Apple. Chrome is a much better browser than the old Android Browser. But it took Google, what, 4 years to catch up to Apple with Chrome on Android?

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
Metro is interesting but it's definitely not a "hands down winner".

Walkingtall
@165.214.14.x

Walkingtall to Ctrl Alt Del

Anon

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

Any smartphone on Verizon requires a data share plan.

From what I've seen this is not true. A friends wife upgraded to the iPhone 5 taking the discount and giving up unlimited data but they were not forced to take the data share plan. They still let them take the single plans with 2GB limit which is cheaper than the shared plan. He kept his Android smart phone with unlimited data on the same account and was not affected.