uniqs

Shhh
@videotron.ca

Shhh to m109rider

Anon

to m109rider

Re: Rogers secretely removes $50 Max Charge on Rocket Hub

said by m109rider:

They sent me back a reply saying they have reviewed my case, and it DOES fall within their scope mandate.

Good news. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

I'd like to see someone try and see if they can force the CCTS to try and give you back what you had (ie the 50$ cap), aside from the pay-back on the "secret removal" of the cap.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 edit

1 recommendation

bbbc to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr

Re: Rogers secretely removes $50 Overage Charge on Rocket Hub

said by yyzlhr :

This is not a CCTS complaint.

Sure it is.

Rogers has never advertised the a max cap for the Rocket Hub as this information was meant to be internal only so that Rogers can change this aspect at anytime.

Advertised or not, Rogers still offered it and can't yank it away without notice.

There is no need to provide you with notification pertaining to changes to something that was never officially offered.

Are you a Rogers' legal eagle? Give me a break.

Keep in mind, the CCTS does not make decisions based on what the public feels is consumer friendly or not but based on the facts presented by both sides.

Nothing about this relates to consumer friendliness. Rogers had a $50 plan, consumer doesn't monitor their consumption because of all-you-can-eat, where a notice would have saved the day.

You cannot file a joint complaint to the CCTS.

Really, who the hell are you? Whether this guy gets some relief or not, his complaint will be lodged, which it needs to be.

Why do you think the government is trying to finally deal with the typical telco BS in Canada?

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

elitefx to m109rider

to m109rider

I say 3 cheers for all the folks on here who are taking it upon themselves to fight Rogers tooth and nail.

Rogers has had free reign to abuse their customers trust for far too long. Integrity is more than just a word in the dictionary to most hard working people and cash is too hard to come by.

Time to end Rogers sense of entitlement and hold them accountable for their actions and inaction.

To those that constantly make excuses for Rogers, we've had enough. Excuses accomplish nothing.

Time for Rogers to Step up or Step out............

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to m109rider

Anon

to m109rider
CCTS accepts a lot of stuff. Rogers will just come back with what everyone said here. The cap was not offered, not part of your service. Nothing has changed.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Since there is proof that it was offered, the CCTS will be forced into acting.
effram
join:2012-11-01
Orangeville, ON

effram

My past two bills came to $132 which included my contracted highest flex plan rate for 10Gb plus the $50 max overage charge. A couple days ago I clicked on my online bill statement and it said my total owed was $640.50. I was not happy.

I called Rogers support and complained that I didn't think I should be charged this much. I said my past two bills had only come to $132 and I hadn't been notified of any future changes on my online bill statement. After waiting for like an hour for the tech to peruse my file he came to the conclusion that because I was on an older plan which is no longer offered I had indeed been overcharged. He credited my account $508.50 to bring the bill down to the usual $132 from the past two months. I thanked him and after I hung up I checked my account online and it had indeed gone down to that $132 total.

Now, I am quite over the cap for this month. Seeing as it takes Rogers two weeks to send me the previous month's online bill summary for some reason I was unable to cut back my internet usage. Hopefully I won't be on the line next month begging to have my account credited again.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Exactly right. Otherwise correct me if i'm wrong it's a twisted version of bait and switch to snatch extra $$ when the rug is pulled from under the customer at random.

Billing history is proof of it being provided + offered. Doesn't matter if it was a "We're awesome people but shhh don't tell anyone it's an internal document only"

CCTS will do their part
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Is there really proof though? From what I understand OP has a lot of bills showing the maximum he ever paid, which implies there was a cap on the amount he was being charged.

But does the bill also show how many gigabytes were transferred during that billing period? (I don't know, I've never seen one.) If it does, then it should definitely be obvious there was a cap in place. But if it doesn't show the usage, then it could be argued that OP just used a consistent amount of bandwidth which resulted in consistent billing amounts.

Of course nobody in their right mind would buy that excuse, but just look at the patent mess that's in the news everyday and you'll see that people making important decisions aren't always in their right mind, so who knows which way that could go.

EDIT: Just re-read OP's message (which I originally read awhile ago) and I see that usage amounts are included on the bill, so it seems pretty open and shut...
m109rider
join:2012-10-24
Thornhill, ON

m109rider

Hi Ree9,

Yes indeed the bills do show the useage amounts.. I was even sure to include 1 bill where I happened to reach 80GB on their service and still only charged $110 + taxes

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to Ree

Premium Member

to Ree
said by Ree:

said by sbrook:

But does the bill also show how many gigabytes were transferred during that billing period? (I don't know, I've never seen one.) If it does, then it should definitely be obvious there was a cap in place. But if it doesn't show the usage, then it could be argued that OP just used a consistent amount of bandwidth which resulted in consistent billing amounts.

Don't know about your bill but if Rogers was to charge me an overage charge they better damn well PROVE TO ME they did it which they do on the protion "used XXX mb" otherwise how could they justify charging?

BTW
@videotron.ca

BTW to Tx

Anon

to Tx
Where is that Rogers_Mary mouth piece (or whatever the name is) who pops in flaps her lips and fixes people up?

Oh. Guess there are special orders not to help with this one. Must screw with as many people as possible.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to GroovyPhoenx

to GroovyPhoenx
said by GroovyPhoenx:

Don't know about your bill but if Rogers was to charge me an overage charge they better damn well PROVE TO ME they did it which they do on the protion "used XXX mb" otherwise how could they justify charging?

I actually never look at my bill. I get the email notice, and as long as it says the same dollar value as the previous month, I don't bother logging on to look. The only time it didn't match was due to my exceeding the cap by a gig or two, so I knew it would be slightly higher so still didn't look.

What you said makes sense though -- I'm sure if I went to look it would tell me how much I exceeded the cap by, and what the exact cost was.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to effram

Premium Member

to effram
You'll likely have to call each and every month. I am on an old iphone 4 plane, overage is $5 per 500MB..sold in blocks, since iOS 6 has come out, the phone chews about 10MB/day regardless. Naturally, I was overcharged, but not by what my contract is, but by they're current rules. I did get my money back, but not looking forward to calling them every month if I go over.

To the original poster, who at CBC are you talking to? I am sure a lot of people here have horror stories of Rogers answer the others like Bell.
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to BTW

to BTW
Sorry for the delay BTW.

We sent some of our Rocket Hub Customers a letter or email and a bill message between June and July this year to remind them that overages will be charged at $10/GB.

I'm happy to speak privately with customers who received overages so we can review your account. I encourage those of you affected to contact me by private message explaining your overages, along with your first and last name, and a phone number we can reach you.

@Rogers_Chris

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Rogers_Chris:

We sent some of our Rocket Hub Customers a letter or email and a bill message between June and July this year to remind them that overages will be charged at $10/GB.

Why not all affected? Why only some? Why do some get a letter and some an Email?

What differentiates how you communicate with people? Do those with the biggest bill get the better notices? Did all the affected have this stated on their bills?

Seems to me the CCTS is looking into this already, however, will these people be allowed to keep their service as it was? Are you offering special offers to those you insulted and treated like crap? Can you tell us what the CCTS & Rogers has done for those who went the CCTS route? In other words, are people better off going to the CCTS rather than contacting a mouth piece of the company who treated them like crap so said company can cut their CCTS costs and year-end stats?
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris

We communicated this change to customers segmented based on whether customers had exceeded their cap at least once in the 6 months prior to the message being sent. Customers who did not exceed the cap got a bill message.

As for the rest of your questions, we'll look into this with our customers on a case-by-case basis. I'll be happy to help those who get in touch with me privately.

PR Guy
@74.198.165.x

PR Guy

Anon

Chris, what is your email for a private message? I have also received a rocket hub bill that had me reaching for 911 and my heart attack medicine.
effram
Orangeville, ON

effram

I had to talk to 3 different people before I was able to get someone who understood that I had never received either a bill message or an email informing me of the overage policy change.

The first guy just plain hung up on me. The second person told me that I should be happy because clearly the $50 max overage caps I had been paying were billing errors and by rights I should have paid way more than that. The last person I talked to actually checked my file and because she was unable to verify that I had been informed of any billing changes, she was able to credit the overages for that month.

Hopefully this is resolved now. All I know is that I certainly will try to use the least amount of data possible for the duration of my 2 year contract.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by effram:

Hopefully this is resolved now. All I know is that I certainly will try to use the least amount of data possible for the duration of my 2 year contract.

Ah I understand why the mouthpiece is here now. To keep people locked in contracts?

effram, this is considered a "material change in service" for which you can cancel your contract w/o penalty.

Even if you go to the CCTS they should work this out so that your contract is cancelled, if you so wish, due to the nature of the contractual change to the terms, usage and most importantly billing & costs to you.

Might be in your best interest still to go to the CCTS to get rid of this contract.

JW
@74.198.164.x

JW to Rogers_Chris

Anon

to Rogers_Chris
Chris,
My bill went from $190 to $850 in one month!
During both phone calls to Rogers dealing with this, the Rogers employee could not find any reference. on any bill, that states the rate is about to dramatically change.
The bill has always said that overages are $10 per gig..........what you are not getting is that 'The Cap' everyone is talking about refers to the monetary amount......The amount you can be charged is Capped!!
I was told by Rogers before I signed (which is why I signed) that whether overages are $10 or $1000 per gig, your bill CANNOT go over a certain dollar amount amount!
In my case $190 per month.
So I'll use 50 gigs and the bill is $190.
Now, suddenly and covertly, 50 gig is like $500!
This is what many people, at Rogers, don't get!

Its a scam!

Well done Rogers, you can happily rip-off your highest paying customers!
I'm on the phone with Rogers now to cancel my service, cancelation fee or not.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

JW, follow the advice for the CCTS.
Best move you can make.
satfiend9
join:2011-03-29
canada

satfiend9 to m109rider

to m109rider
Contacted CCTS as well. Same problems as everyone else. Claim accepted and hope that people will do the same. Very easy.
I hope that we get some updates from previous posters. I will hopefully update my situation soon.
effram
Orangeville, ON

effram

I just put in a complaint with the CCTS as I did not receive the credit to my bill I was told I was getting. Thanks again Rogers, great service.
Expand your moderator at work
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to m109rider

to m109rider

This is all very interesting.... I was going to move from Bell turbo hub to Rogers rocket hub because of the $50 cap.... That very reason.... I am under no contract with Bell, and my only options are satellite and cellular.

As compared to Bell, the deal WAS good.

Rogers, you almost had another customer...

Good luck

Ryan
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to effram

to effram
said by effram:

I had to talk to 3 different people before I was able to get someone who understood that I had never received either a bill message or an email informing me of the overage policy change.

The first guy just plain hung up on me. The second person told me that I should be happy because clearly the $50 max overage caps I had been paying were billing errors and by rights I should have paid way more than that. The last person I talked to actually checked my file and because she was unable to verify that I had been informed of any billing changes, she was able to credit the overages for that month.

That seems to be the way... Claim to the government you are providing great Internet to everyone, but make it so the customer can't afford to use it... Suck their bank accounts dry if the customer does.... And ensure you do as little as possible to bring in regulated options like dsl, cable, or fibre.
effram
Orangeville, ON

effram

For those wondering if the CCTS will even take on this kind of dispute, I received an email from them that said this:
We have received your complaint XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and hereby advise you that your complaint falls within the scope of our mandate and will be processed in accordance with our Procedural Code (the “Code”), which can be found at: »www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/doc ··· ral-code
Emphasis added by me. I'm interested in how this process will play out...

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

I would like to see a group of people do it together as well.

Very possible they will treat this as a group anyhow to keeps Rogers costs lower. After-all is it run by the same industry you are filing against.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by shrug :

Very possible they will treat this as a group anyhow to keeps Rogers costs lower. After-all is it run by the same industry you are filing against.

Rogers knows that only the minority of people, such as the users here, are going to do anything about it. The other 99% of the people that get screwed just ask take it up the rear end.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

said by J E F F4:

said by shrug :

Rogers knows that only the minority of people, such as the users here, are going to do anything about it. The other 99% of the people that get screwed just ask take it up the rear end.

I wouldn't say 99%. if we review what has been stated here, Rogers is playing a game of "we don't have to, but we love you and will wipe the bill and put you on another contract".

So they are playing their loved customers as total idiots. And personally I think These vultures at rogers will win when the average person doesn't know better.

If these people were indeed in contracts, and not month-to-month, the better route to go is a class-action.