Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] Microsoft out-of-band Windows Updates

I saw those two offered and installed them on the two Win 7 Pro 64 with SP1 systems. A laptop did not have SP1 and was not offered the updates. It was never offered SP1, either, for whatever reason. It had the exact same Win 7 Pro 64 OS installed, and was kept updated at all times. Ah, I just found KB2498452, which may have the explanation for the laptop's not getting SP1. I will now have to check it, but I kind of hate to mess with it too much, since it is working.

I elected to get the Intel HD graphics driver update for the laptop and that allowed Windows update to offer SP1 on that machine. However, the update failed multiple times and I finally downloaded the full standalone SP1 and ran that. I then did a Windows update check and found 13 more updates to apply, so I started that download and left the machine on and will check it in the morning. Fun, fun, fun. At least nothing is broken yet . . . . and I really wanted all three systems to be at the same patch level.

I spoke too soon. I ended up having to do a system restore and then selectively download the most recent updates. I also uninstalled the two KB's about authenticated local attacks, and the system is definitely quicker.

--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.