spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bestjsg6
join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

high ping compare to Rogers

just plugged in the modem supplied by Start, did a speedtest.net, below is the result, d/l and u/l speeds seem ok , but ping seems kind of high (I don't know what is normal or high actually) compare to using the Rogers modem, I was getting between 10-16 ms ping time.

Why is the difference ? is it the modem or Start's service itself ?

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6532.png

damir52
SFRJ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24

damir52

Premium Member

I am getting same results, to any server i choose.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

it is chosen automatically by when I plugged in the Rogers modem, I always get the Toronto server.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Pick the same server to compare to.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to bestjsg6

Premium Member

to bestjsg6
What do you get at »toronto.speedtest.net ? Thanks.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

sure, very interesting result,

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 1779.png
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

a few more for Toronto server

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6673.png

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 9420.png

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7778.png

a couple for Kitchener server

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0959.png

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2512.png
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

and this is what I usually get with Rogers.

»speedtest.net/result/225 ··· 3824.png
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to bestjsg6

to bestjsg6
said by bestjsg6:

a few more for Toronto server

Do you have anything else running at the same time? The DL/UL jumping around like that in such a short period is really strange.

There are other reasons that could be happening, but that's the most obvious, the most common and the easiest to scratch off the list
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

no, particularly stopped all the d/l ing

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Direct to modem?
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

those results were behind a good old Linksys wrt-54GL.

just tried direct to modem - »speedtest.net/result/226 ··· 1155.png

and now tried back behind the router -
»speedtest.net/result/226 ··· 1050.png

looks like everything looks better/normal now either direct or behind the router, what was going earlier ?

on a side note , should I upgrade my router anyways to take advantage of these 18M+ speeds ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I'm guessing the router was rebooted between? The wrt54g's are starting to show their age.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

no, but I have rebooted my PC , guess that might have helped too..

anyways, thanks for your attention, today is my first day using your service, will watch for the same tomorrow around the same time.
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to bestjsg6

to bestjsg6
My ping to new york is higher then the 29 ms I used to get I know its the different routing to internap though

just had to fit in a troll post lol

damir52
SFRJ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24

damir52

Premium Member

Today for some reason i am getting better pings to Toronto based servers.

Same setup (router\firmware) etc.

Wondering if Start did anything, or?

Thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

No changes here.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

Hi Rocca, I am experiencing inconsistent download speeds again just now, (as low as 3MB) , I have read somewhere that the D3 modem uses multiple channels so if one channel is congested, it will switch to another to get better performance, does this theory apply here ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

It uses multiple channels bonded vs switching (ie think a wider stream). If you pm me your account # I can take a look.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

just sent you a PM, thanks.
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

Rocca, thanks for your help again, just a quick update.

Got the new modem , plugged it in yesterday, everything worked fine from 9 am to about 2 pm, then the WAN connection at the router disconnected , called tech support, have both router and modem hard resetted, everything worked from there on until today around 3 pm, WAN disconnected again, so I tried MAC address cloning , cloned my desktops MAC address to the router, WAN connected right away, then about 15 mins later, disconnected again, tried hard reset , power cycle etc , just couldn't get online, so I gave up and dig out my good old Linksys 54G router , now it seems to be working except I am experiencing hiccups, i.e.internet is up for a few minutes and would stop for a few and so on.

Another thing I noticed , not sure if it matters, is that when I used the 'new' Asus R56U, the flashing 'link' button on the modem was blue in colour , but now using the Linksys , it is flashing green instead.

I will go get another router over the weekend to do further testings..

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Sounds like an arp issue. When you swap mac addresses around inside your network, the mac for the IP assigned to you changes and therefore is not reachable until the arp times out. For Cogeco it's not so bad because you have a 3 IP buffer, but for Red you only can register the 1. If any time you change whatever is plugged into the modem it's best to factory reset the modem, that causes it to register with the CMTS again, renews the DHCP lease and most importantly for your case, clears out the arp table. The same thing can be accomplished by waiting 30 minutes or so, but it's faster/easier to just hit the reset pin on the modem IMHO.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

not sure what is arp issue, is that common ? because I wouldn't do mac cloning if the tech support rep didn't suggest me to try yesterday,and I would rather use the Asus N router vs the Linksys.. (I am not MAC cloning with the Linksys right now)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

ARP is the protocol that maps an IP to a MAC address, ie the CMTS says "who has the mac address for the IP a.b.c.d", the device responds with it's mac address and then the CMTS can send packets to the mac address (ie ethernet is a layer2 protocol), it stores this in it's mac address cache for a certain length of time.

If you change the device and it has a new mac but the IP hasn't changed then the CMTS keeps sending it to the old mac address and it looks like it's unreachable to you. Additionally, when the router goes to request a new IP the CMTS says 'your connection has it's maximum # of IP's so no new IP for you'.

Factory resetting the modem fixes all this.

Personally my recommendation would be, clear out the mac cloning settings, put everything physically the way you want it, then factory reset the modem, wait for it to sync, reboot your router, should be golden...