Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil

Re: Help blocking heat from sun SE side of house

said by Koil:

said by nightdesigns:

How about a portable AC unit (freestanding, not window)? I got one a few years back for the bedroom which is located on the southwest corner of the house in AZ and was poorly insulated. Works great, easy setup and only a few hundred $$. Plus it is movable if needed.

I'll check into these...Any idea of how hard that hit your power bill?

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've got full tint on the windows, insulating drapes, fully insulated garage, the works.

The only way you're going to fix this issue is to put active cooling in that room (either via window A/C, portable A/C or getting your house A/C adjusted/fixed/whatever to address this). I have an LG 13kbtu upright AC unit »www.lg.com/us/portable-a ··· itioners that vents out the window on a dedicated 20A circuit.

Even with 2 registers and a return in that room, the house air just can't keep up with the heat demands of that room (even with the electronics off).

When the time comes to put a new A/C system in the house (probably in the next 5-8 years, system is 12 years old now) I'll ask a lot of questions about how to cool that room without using the upright. Until then, that's the only solution.

I'd say, middle of summer cranking full blast, it adds probably 50-75 to the bill.

Also, because the house air takes care of the humidity, this thing *never* needs to be drained. Ever.

Stay away from the Frididaire products. They're made by Whirlpool now and they SUUUCK. My first upright was a Fridge. It worked one day. I turn it off and unplug it to go on vacation. Come home a week later, plug it back in and it would only dehumidify. It wouldn't cool.

The warranty process suuuucked. Eventually got a replacement. It died 8 months later. Got an LG and have been happy since.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've got full tint on the windows, insulating drapes, fully insulated garage, the works.

Thanks for the post.

I read on another site that adding a return to this room may help things....anyone have any thoughts on that?